Sign in to follow this  
alainneedle1

2700K at 5GHz with only 1.384v...eeeeeeee

By the way, here is one for the guys with a watercooled rig, I'm thinking of watercooling mine (I know nothing about water cooling) and as you know the Gigabyte UD-9 come with a water block already installed on the board so what are the best custom part I can get to cool off the CPU and the mobo (see pic below), best radiator, best CPU block best pump I mean best everything....
I don't know if I would bother water cooling your rig. The money you spend on that could easily be put towards upgrading to Ivy Bridge when it's released - at 22nm and requiring less voltage thanks to 3D transistors, it should run even cooler than Sandy Bridge. Water cooling is almost pointless with Sandy Bridge as it is. If you decide to do it though, I recommend the Koolance CPU-370 for your CPU block. SkinneeLabs did a great review on it recently: Koolance CPU-370 Review. That site is probably your best source of info for all things water cooling - that and Martins Liquid Lab.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I can't say anything about the parts, since USA and Germany/Austria have completely different products available. But one thing I can say about water: the noise is great (there ain't much there), and you always have this "edge" when it comes to hardware. Wouldn't give up on water ever...

I think I will leave mine at 4.6!
A sensible idea. If you can't run everything smoothly at 4.6Ghz, then pushing it up to 4.8 isn't going to solve anything.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I know that 5.0 at 1.45v is being done successfully, but the question I still ask myself is: If I increase from 4.7 to 5.0 and raise the volts to 1.45, is it worth the risk? I don't think so.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I don't know if I would bother water cooling your rig. The money you spend on that could easily be put towards upgrading to Ivy Bridge when it's released - at 22nm and requiring less voltage thanks to 3D transistors, it should run even cooler than Sandy Bridge. Water cooling is almost pointless with Sandy Bridge as it is. If you decide to do it though, I recommend the Koolance CPU-370 for your CPU block. SkinneeLabs did a great review on it recently: Koolance CPU-370 Review. That site is probably your best source of info for all things water cooling - that and Martins Liquid Lab.
Thank you Corey, I'll have a look at it, I will upgrade no matter what to the Ivy Bridge (2 > 3 month after they release the big one), the custom water cooling can be transfer to the new rig if needed, knowing how I am I just want to get a top of the line watercooling system, I was "gonna" buy the new GTX580 classified (air) but I'm now thinking about the hydro one in SLI (for other games like Crysis 2) http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130733 and who knows maybe Flight will utilize SLI... Praying.gif so I'll research everything carefully....

I know that 5.0 at 1.45v is being done successfully, but the question I still ask myself is: If I increase from 4.7 to 5.0 and raise the volts to 1.45, is it worth the risk? I don't think so.
You're probably right, but I am an "egoclocker" not just an overclocker. cool.png

FSX aside overclocking is for bragging rights, I mean Crysis 2 will run the same with your CPU @ 4.3GHz or 4.5GHz (3 >5 FPS more?) but use 2 or 3 580X 3GB in SLI 3D vision with fast rams with low cas, a CPU @ 4.8 > 5.0GHz (stable), using the highest resolution possible and now we are talking....still, it's all for bragging rights, but it's fun as hell...

For CPU+GPU cooling, I think you will want a good 360 radiator at a minimum and 480 would probably be ideal. Nothing wrong with OC'ing just for bragging rights - computer hardware is a hobby itself after all.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

For CPU+GPU cooling, I think you will want a good 360 radiator at a minimum and 480 would probably be ideal. Nothing wrong with OC'ing just for bragging rights - computer hardware is a hobby itself after all.
I don't care if I have to buy 2 480 rad., I was thinking at using one setup for CPU / MOBO and the other one for the SLI card, I may have to do some case mod....look at this puppy... http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_667_975&products_id=21622

Alain, won't you wait for SB-E / LGA2011? that way you could later use the same mobo and WC kit with Ivy Bridge

Alain, won't you wait for SB-E / LGA2011? that way you could later use the same mobo and WC kit with Ivy Bridge
OK I'm confused here...what mobo are you talking about?

OK I'm confused here...what mobo are you talking about?
I don't know, the best one you can find for LGA2011 I guess.

I am at 5.1 at 1.44, I am satisfied with the temps thanks to the corsair H80. They should have really pushed that chip harder, it sounds like they could get it all the way up to 5.5. For an extra 500 mhz, I would consider upgrading to that chip.
It is most likely intel marketing, most 2600k chips do an avg of 4.6, not 5! I would not expect the 2700k to oc 500 mhz more, each chip is different. The old 920, 960, 930 etc all maxed out at similar oc levels despite the base clock speed.

Simon

I run 1.5v with mine, but I can probably start lowering it. I wanted to overclock quickly, so I jumped to 1.5. I saw an Intel chart that said 1.52 was the recommended limit, and I also saw an ASUS video where they were running a 2600K at 5.2 Ghz with 1.5v.
That 1.52v "Intel Spec" is the most widely misinterpreted piece of information on the net. Seems everybody misses the fine print. See foot note2 on that spec sheet. That 1.52 is Vid and nothing to do with Vcore. Max safe Vcore is the voltage just before the one that fries's your chip.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Mine is at 4.9 with voltage at 1.32. Mark.

Mark   CYYZ