Sign in to follow this  
Guest JustanotherPilot

Fsx .cfg tweak and fine tune improves graphics

Guest JustanotherPilot

A number of Posts relate to members having problems with graphics for the 737NGX, myself included. I came across this site http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html, that has not only fixed the graphics but improved Fsx performance. The service is Free with provisions for donations if your happy with the results. Before you start you need to know various components of your computer, which can be found from the windows device manager. You also need to know the location of you FSX .cfg file which should be backed up before any changes are made. Once you have all this go to the website - answer the questions about you computer at the prompts, upload your fsx .cfg. You are then presented with a new cfg file that has been tweaked to your computer, each change is explained. you then download the NEW FSX .cfg file and overwrite your existing one. After using this, problems with taxiway/runway 'shimmering' stopped and the 737NGX had more cockpit detail and numerous other scenery fixes. I strongly recommend everyone using this new cfg file first backs up their original. There are no guarantees that it will work for everyone, but at the very least it gives an insight into the workings of the FSX .cfg file and if you've backed up the original you can always revert back to it.

pretty sure this info is in the PMDG intro doco but thanks

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Thanks for reminding us. However, the site in question is well known to most Avsim members. The site owner is a regular contributer to Avsim and posts frequently. smile.png

I wasn't aware of the site, thank you JustAnotherPilot!How do you find how many threads I'm using?! I opened task manager and it fluctuates around the 1200 mark yet on the tweak site it only goes up to 16?!

I wasn't aware of the site, thank you JustAnotherPilot! How do you find how many threads I'm using?! I opened task manager and it fluctuates around the 1200 mark yet on the tweak site it only goes up to 16?!
Right click on Deskboard....choose Gadget "All CPU meter"/ Leffe

Before you start you need to know various components of your computer, which can be found from the windows device manager.
My problem is that I have none of the video cards listed. Anyone knows how can I tell which of the 4 cards listed is most compatible with the one I have?Regards,Armando Arjona

My Radeon wasn't listed either - just do a 'google' on the one you have with the ones listed to get an idea eg. ' radeon comparison nvidia 9800' it doesn't have to be an exact match - video card performance is the key.

This did not solve the shimmering thing for me.
Did you solve your shimmering? What kind fo video card are you using? I had shimmering on taxi lines and many edges and object with nvidia and HD6950. What solved it for me on the HD 6950 was to select "Super Sampling AA" in ATI Tray tools.

A number of Posts relate to members having problems with graphics for the 737NGX, myself included. I came across this site http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html, that has not only fixed the graphics but improved Fsx performance. The service is Free with provisions for donations if your happy with the results. Before you start you need to know various components of your computer, which can be found from the windows device manager. You also need to know the location of you FSX .cfg file which should be backed up before any changes are made. Once you have all this go to the website - answer the questions about you computer at the prompts, upload your fsx .cfg. You are then presented with a new cfg file that has been tweaked to your computer, each change is explained. you then download the NEW FSX .cfg file and overwrite your existing one. After using this, problems with taxiway/runway 'shimmering' stopped and the 737NGX had more cockpit detail and numerous other scenery fixes. I strongly recommend everyone using this new cfg file first backs up their original. There are no guarantees that it will work for everyone, but at the very least it gives an insight into the workings of the FSX .cfg file and if you've backed up the original you can always revert back to it.
This reminds me of Christopher Columbus and his "discovery" of the New World. I'm only kidding. But Columbus is a joke. I was serious about that.

Your point being?
Oh, sorry. That Christopher Columbus "discovered" something that others already knew existed. Kind of like me "discovering" your backyard and having a holiday named after me because of it.

For those who are having shimmering panels problems did you set texture_max_load=4096 in the fsx.cfg file? I had it set originally, set it back to 2048, lots of shimmers appeared and now it is great again. I think it maybe mentions to do this tweak in the introduction manual.