Sign in to follow this  
fingertrouble

PMDG 737NGX compatibility with quad core CPU

Hi everybody,I am at the point to upgrade my PC with a quad core CPU in order to get the 737 NGX running smoothly,Now the supplier of the hardware asked me to make sure that the PMDG 737 NGX software is optimized for quad core CPu operation,. Personally I don't see the point, but he insisted that I make sure that it is, otherwise I would have no benefit from the quad core just to the contrary, the software could even run more slowly than it is now.Present CPU: dual core 2.8Ghz - 4 Gb memory / OS is windows 7 64bit / grahic card is ATI EAH850 1GB GDDR5 video memory.I very much appreciate your help ,- thanks in advance.Pier

Yes, a quad will help. It's the hyperthreading (turning 4 cores into 8) that won't help.

I would get an i5 2500K if you budget allows you to buy one.

Thanks Ken and Arjen for your quick reply.Pier HendelPS to Ken, I had a look at your Saitek Yoke mod (I'm using one myself). Quite interesting, I think I am going to modify mine as well.

Hi,Coming off your question about the quad core, i am thinking of upgrading my pc from an Intelmcore 2 duo to a core 2 quad Q9550 and another 2gb of ram ddr2, here are my current specs;Intel core 2 duo E8400 3.00ghz4GB DDR2 RAMWindows 7 x64 bit ultimateATI Radeon HD 4870So what do you think?? Will it be possible for me to get the ngx with not bad fps with the upgrade??

Hi,Coming off your question about the quad core, i am thinking of upgrading my pc from an Intelmcore 2 duo to a core 2 quad Q9550 and another 2gb of ram ddr2, here are my current specs;Intel core 2 duo E8400 3.00ghz4GB DDR2 RAMWindows 7 x64 bit ultimateATI Radeon HD 4870So what do you think?? Will it be possible for me to get the ngx with not bad fps with the upgrade??
Don't bother. The Q9550 is almost four years old but would still cost you $200 or more on ebay, you can buy an i5-2500k for less if you shop around.

Don't bother. The Q9550 is almost four years old but would still cost you $200 or more on ebay, you can buy an i5-2500k for less if you shop around.
Keeping in mind of course that the 2500k would also require a new motherboard & ddr3 memory.

You will spend about €400 for mobo cpu and ram.Spend some time doing a bit of research and it will pay off.Q9950 is waaaay to expensive,better spending the money on new CPU RAM and Mobo.i52500k is cheaper thatn Q9950,(roughly 50% cheaper (in UK anyway)).

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

yes, that is what i was thinking, say if i were to get an i5, new motherboard, ddr3 and so on, how much would all that cost?
Techreport does an excellent review of current components in different price ranges, every few months. http://techreport.com/articles.x/21876/1 is the latest. I just completely gutted my 5 year old machine and installed:i5-2500K for $200 == overclocked to 4 GHz with zero trouble.Z68 motherboard for $1808 GB of DDR3 for about $80I could easily cut $150 off this by getting lower grades of everything - see their "budget" model.The i5-2500K is an awesome processor in terms of price/performance. Be sure to get the K model for an extra $10.

In the UK I`ve found the 2500K + a suitable mobo and 8 gig DDR3 memory for around £275 and already overclocked 4.6 - 4.8 range. So theirs bound to be a cheaper option by sourcing the parts and OCing yourself. Yes I know this is pounds not dollars but just as a comparison here in "Rip Off Britain" as many of us call it now. I`m saving for it but it might be a while yet, love to do it by christmas but thats hard going for a semi cripple, we`ll have to see. Thank god for the internet, I`d be lost without it.Steve

A Quad Core AMD 965 BE also works well. I have been using it for 2 years with an Asus MOBO and 8 gigs of RAM.