Sign in to follow this  
Niall Hanley

Story of My Aerlingus Flight

FINALLY IVE READ THE WHOLE THING!!! Boy that was amazing. You sure are lucky to know someone on the forum who is a pilot and let you jump seat! I just want to ask a pilot, on PPRUNE Ive picked up something about system bids in airline academies. What exactly are they for? Is it like bidding on the plane you want to fly?

An interesting, insightful and well written article, good job... I was lucky enough to have experienced a few jumpseat flights pre 9/11 with BA, mainly on 744's when my dad worked out of LHR. Alas at the time I was probably too young to appreciate it but old enough to remember it well. One I do remember was the checkerboard approach into Kai Tak. Simply magic! On a side note, pilots pride themselves on their landings so maybe Ronan should have been allowed a little editorial privilege. Ronan, I shared a similar experience on a much much smaller scale. Took my dad up for a spin not long after I got my ppl (EIWT) proud as punch, and at a time you would really want to impress with a greaser, He got about 4 landings for the price of 1. "think you should give that license back to them" was his response. Anyways, I digress, Well done to all involvedMartin Woulfe

Martin Woulfe

Computer Specs

Mobo P6X58D-E, CPU i7-950 @ 4.0 GHz, GPU GTX470, 6GB DDR3 RAM

FSX

PMDG J41, PMDG MD11, Flight 1 BN Islander, EZCA, ASE, REX, SimplatesX, Ultimate Traffic 2, FS Global 2010, Ground Env X (Europe), Ultimate Terrain X (Europe)

Aerosoft LFPG, EDDF

UK2000 EGPH, EGLL, EGSS, EGGP

Fly Tampa St Maarten, St Barths, SABA, Grenadines

I think that something has to be done to repair Rónáns reputation! A video maybe?

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

I think that something has to be done to repair Rónáns reputation! A video maybe?
Here you go then, this was my next landing, 9 days later. Not too bad, though not my best.... St. Munchin again, into Boston on a Saturday afternoon...

Reputation being rebuilt slowly bu surely..... Doh.gif

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Nice one!And all edge light are left untouched :(

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

Nice one!And all edge light are left untouched tongue.png
Read the bold.... Talking Ear Off.gif
Ahh the dreaded, "Urm Shamrock 123, you're urm, taxiing on the edge lights" transmission. One that has been all too familiar to me.My legacy to aviation = An unusually large amount of crushed edge lighting across the USA...My first flights 3 flights in a row as a captain in the A330 and I crushed some lights each time taxiing, I had to spend a day in the simulator practicing after that....But, never fear, I have improved...Big%20Grin.gif

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ronan quick question mate, it will be a while before I get access to a A320 sim and I need to check something that I cant find in the A320 FCOM.A330 Alt2 law is Roll Direct pitch alternate, A320 only has Alt law and roll remains normal. So, I am little confused as to why Alt2 only exists on the A330 or is there a similar law on the A320 that I am missing? I have studied the A320 FCOM hundreds of times and cant see why there should be a difference with the two aircraft when the FBW logic is basically the same.Regards

Rob Prest

Ronan quick question mate, it will be a while before I get access to a A320 sim and I need to check something that I cant find in the A320 FCOM.A330 Alt2 law is Roll Direct pitch alternate, A320 only has Alt law and roll remains normal. So, I am little confused as to why Alt2 only exists on the A330 or is there a similar law on the A320 that I am missing? I have studied the A320 FCOM hundreds of times and cant see why there should be a difference with the two aircraft when the FBW logic is basically the same.Regards
No there's nothing similar in the 320, it just has alternate on it's own and not sub-divided. The reason we we're told for the difference between them when we we're doing our CCQ [2001], was that the had gotten the idea while designing the A330/340 and decided to implement it then, but that the cost of re-certifying it and transfering it to the 320 would be too much hassle and bother for a system that already worked, if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of idea. You'll never be asked that question though, just be sure to know the differences between them, the limitations associated with both and the situations which will cause you to downgrade to them.Rónán O Cadhain

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Thanks mate, makes perfect sense Regards

Rob Prest

Thanks mate, makes perfect senseRegards
No bother, probably not the answer you we're looking for but glad I could help anyway.Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Truly a great story. Loved it and had a few laughs...especially about the printer. Well Done

After seeing this today, I thought I'd share this with the community, and this thread seems as good a place as any. There is a whole other side to being an airline pilot that I think this article scraped the surface of but that a lot of simmers miss out on or overlook. When a lot of simmers watch video's such as ITVV and such and simulate flights down to a tee with ultra realistic aircraft, that shows one very large side to our job, but this video probably captures as best as possible the other side where you get to know and work with soooo many other people everyday and not just the one co-pilot and atc, and believe it or not, that aspect can be just as enjoyable as the flying part...

[sorry if this seems of topic, but it does give you a better insight into the job wink.png ]Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

After seeing this today, I thought I'd share this with the community, and this thread seems as good a place as any. There is a whole other side to being an airline pilot that I think this article scraped the surface of but that a lot of simmers miss out on or overlook. When a lot of simmers watch video's such as ITVV and such and simulate flights down to a tee with ultra realistic aircraft, that shows one very large side to our job, but this video probably captures as best as possible the other side where you get to know and work with soooo many other people everyday and not just the one co-pilot and atc, and believe it or not, that aspect can be just as enjoyable as the flying part...

[sorry if this seems of topic, but it does give you a better insight into the job wink.png ]Rónán O Cadhain.
That video certainly does show part of what I experienced on my trip with EIN that can't be re-created in the sim, but you didn't just post that video because you starred in it for a brief moment did you?tongue.png

Thanks for the read, and I agree, should you not make it as a pilot, you have a great back-up career as a writer! I know I wouldn't be able to write such an Article!Of course, well done to Rónán for making this happen!

Fabrizio Sassi