Sign in to follow this  
Niall Hanley

Story of My Aerlingus Flight

http://www.pprune.or...akeoff-auh.html- On a flight to Dublin, an A330 captain mulches up the runway edge lighting!!!! :( :( :Shocked:That sounds like a familiar Captain I know, you haven't taken up that offer and transferred to Etihad recently have you Rónán? blum.gif
Innocent... And no, I do not intend changing my airline any time soon...

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Innocent... And no, I do not intend changing my airline any time soon...
Rónán, I'd be proud to fly a National carrier, there are not many around any more. On a different note, I'm flying to the UK for spring break to see my folks and previously I traveled Air Canada on an A330 and loved every minute as the in-flight entertainment system was awesome, being able to choose my movies and start times amde the flight "fly by." Well it seems I am stuck with a Boeing this time, as from Tulsa we have very limited options. Do you know of a way to book your airline from Tulsa to London by any chance? The website doesn't allow changing departure from anywhere but the places you fly from, so I'm assuming codeshare isn't something you do, am I wrong? I appreciate your help and I'm sorry for going off-topic, but I just was spoiled with the A330 flight and can't bear the thought of a 9 and 10 hour flight on a 777 and 767 respectively from Houston and back with United...spoiled little 30-something brat that I am! :D

Well, if Jet Blue fly from Tulsa, you could take them to JFK, Codeshare to Dublin, then fly from Dublin to London on our 320 if you want all Airbus, but really TBH I'd stick with no transfers and fly direct. T7 and 767 are grand aircraft and they'll have IFE as well I'm sure, you'd just be adding stressful hours to your travel time.... But that's just my take on things...[And I am very proud to fly for my national carrier]Rónán.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Great write-up, fantastically written for a 16 year old! And fascinating reading the replies about your flying experiences Rónán :) Too late in my career to become a pilot unfortunately (and a little one arriving in March) so it'll just be the sim for me, am in awe of what you guys do.I know an EZY Captain so maybe I should try for a jumpseat ride....btw So what it if was a hard landing? As you say, we all have bad days in the office, nothing to worry about.

Rónán, I'd be proud to fly a National carrier, there are not many around any more. On a different note, I'm flying to the UK for spring break to see my folks and previously I traveled Air Canada on an A330 and loved every minute as the in-flight entertainment system was awesome, being able to choose my movies and start times amde the flight "fly by." Well it seems I am stuck with a Boeing this time, as from Tulsa we have very limited options. Do you know of a way to book your airline from Tulsa to London by any chance? The website doesn't allow changing departure from anywhere but the places you fly from, so I'm assuming codeshare isn't something you do, am I wrong? I appreciate your help and I'm sorry for going off-topic, but I just was spoiled with the A330 flight and can't bear the thought of a 9 and 10 hour flight on a 777 and 767 respectively from Houston and back with United...spoiled little 30-something brat that I am! :D
Had exactly the same kind of IFE as you had, but on a KLM 777 from EHAM to KJFK. Such IFEs are not exculsive to manufaturers or airplane models for as far as I know. Old planes cna be upgraded with them if the carrier chooses to do so. KLm is now installing it in their 747 fleet, if I remember correctly.I love both the 777 and 767. I find them the most comfortable planes that I have flown. Although in July I should be doing my first trip on a heavy Airbus, a Swiss A330-300. looking forward to it.As for the story, great read! Really enjoyed it :) Actually convinced me that I should buy FS2Crew, as now I seem to fathom what I'm missing out on with regard to working with a multi-person crew...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Well, if Jet Blue fly from Tulsa, you could take them to JFK, Codeshare to Dublin, then fly from Dublin to London on our 320 if you want all Airbus, but really TBH I'd stick with no transfers and fly direct. T7 and 767 are grand aircraft and they'll have IFE as well I'm sure, you'd just be adding stressful hours to your travel time.... But that's just my take on things...[And I am very proud to fly for my national carrier]Rónán.
Yeah, I actually forgot to mention that it wasn't just the IFE, they had awesome amounts of space per person in cattle class, which, as a 6'3" 230' guy I acertainly appreciated. I guess I could have looked on Seatguru.com to see which airline has better space and IDE, but it's tedious and at the end of the day, they're all relatively similar. I had a bad experience on a 767 a few years back from Manchester to Houston, if I recall correctly. I was stuffed in a window seat and couldn't see the IDE, so with no way to sleep and no way to be entertained it was a terrible experience. 777 are always comfy, unless you get the middle of the center column, haha. But airbus have just always seemed a little more comfy to fly in as a passenger. My company will not pay First Class, so not even going there!
Had exactly the same kind of IFE as you had, but on a KLM 777 from EHAM to KJFK. Such IFEs are not exculsive to manufaturers or airplane models for as far as I know. Old planes cna be upgraded with them if the carrier chooses to do so. KLm is now installing it in their 747 fleet, if I remember correctly.I love both the 777 and 767. I find them the most comfortable planes that I have flown. Although in July I should be doing my first trip on a heavy Airbus, a Swiss A330-300. looking forward to it.As for the story, great read! Really enjoyed it :) Actually convinced me that I should buy FS2Crew, as now I seem to fathom what I'm missing out on with regard to working with a multi-person crew...
FS2Crew is a must my friend, it truly changes the way you fly.

FS2Crew is a must my friend, it truly changes the way you fly.
I was wondering, is there an option to save FS2Crew during a flight, so you can continue where you left? For MD-mega_shok.gif flights this won't be particularly necessary of course, but for long haul flights it'll almot be a must.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I was wondering, is there an option to save FS2Crew during a flight, so you can continue where you left? For MD- mega_shok.gif flights this won't be particularly necessary of course, but for long haul flights it'll almot be a must.
You might ask this in the FS2Crew forum, as I'm not at home for the next 7 hours and I currently haven't utilized such a function with FS2crew, so I don't want to misinform you.

“Shamrock 121, cleared for takeoff, we’re rolling”, Sam replied. “We’re going!” called Rónán
Is it just me, or does this really remind anyone else of Captain Van Zanten from the KLM Tenerife disaster? Seems eerily similar IMO.Alex.

Is it just me, or does this really remind anyone else of Captain Van Zanten from the KLM Tenerife disaster? Seems eerily similar IMO.Alex.
Van Zanten was a pompus butt who decided that he would takeoff without clearance and his decision (and the F/O for not pulling the throttles back) cost hundreds of lives.The Shamrock crew took off with clearance. It seems as though Ronan and crew were following SOPs and performed a standard takeoff.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Funnily enough, that's exactly the thought that went through my mind as he said it, truth be told it was slightly unnerving and sounded just as captain van Zanten said it. It left a twinge in my stomach for the next few seconds until we became airborne.

I was wondering, is there an option to save FS2Crew during a flight, so you can continue where you left? For MD- mega_shok.gif flights this won't be particularly necessary of course, but for long haul flights it'll almot be a must.
A very interesting question,Benjamin. Because every time I have I have a CTD, or save a flight, I cannot go back to the status I left the FS2Crew at, and have to start all over again. This one will be interesting to follow.

This guy?
I am no Van Zanten, "We're going", is just something that I say, an old habit I've had since I was doing my training in a 152. It's nothing unsafe.... And let's also keep in mind that a lot of what he did such as taking on the extra fuel should not really be looked upon as poor airmanship, but rather poor luck on the day. Personally I could see exactly the reasons why he did many things and acted the way he did [though bare in mind this is dramatised] right up until when he pushed the thrust levers up without proper clearance, until then, the majority of things were just the result of a situation on the day. It must be born in mind that for the past few months, Van Zanten had been operating purely in the sim, with no atc provided for him, so on his first flight on the line, under circumstances of high pressure to get going or have to do a night stop away from home, it was obvious that the holes in the swiss cheese were lining up. Though he comes across as quite rude at points in this vid, even I and many other pilots can get quite blunt and frustrated when things start going against us, by no means a reason to be rude [keep in mind again dramatised], but still, you have to put yourself in his shoes and as I said, no one likes an unscheduled night stop, so you're going to do everything you can to arrive home when literally every second you spend not flying brings you closer to the point where you will have to call it a day.Capt. Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

What a lovely insight into what tragically occurred that day in Tenerife. A refreshing perspective seen from the 'Hot Seat'. Maybe lessons were learned from this tragedy.Thanks for that Ronan(sorry I cannot write the Gaelic name)

Funnily enough, that's exactly the thought that went through my mind as he said it, truth be told it was slightly unnerving and sounded just as captain van Zanten said it. It left a twinge in my stomach for the next few seconds until we became airborne.
Hi Niall,I - like most readers of this post, I guess - really enjoyed your story but can't help feeling that you have a funny way to express your gratitude. The hard landing and now this... Of course, you're very candid and that's probably OK but...I hope you understand what I mean.
This guy?
Hi Rónán,I looked at the video but then went on to read the wikipedia article. I think the article gives a very balanced account of what happened. I am not sure the video deserves the same rating (personal opinion, of course).
Thanks for that Ronan(sorry I cannot write the Gaelic name)
Hi Rick,Try "ALT 162" and "ALT 160" :smile:My 2+2+2 cents...Bruno Edited by fencer