Sign in to follow this  
Circletoland

New Video (~50min) NGX -700 real procedures in CorfuX

Hi BerniThanks for a fantastic video, very informativereal word procedures , makes me proud to see myhome airportsmile.pngPanos

Hi,Very nice tutorial. A few questions: your VREF was 131/30, but your FAS was 139? Is that because of 131 VREF + 8 wind correction = 139? Right?And also, as far as I understand, you're a commercial pilot! Awesome, want to be one too later one, (if I can...).

Hi,Very nice tutorial. A few questions: your VREF was 131/30, but your FAS was 139? Is that because of 131 VREF + 8 wind correction = 139? Right?And also, as far as I understand, you're a commercial pilot! Awesome, want to be one too later one, (if I can...).
Vref + 5 + half wind correction. Therefore the headwind component in this case is likely 6kts. Vref + 5 + 6/2. I've not watched the video yet, apologies if I'm wrong.

Thanks for an informativ and beautiful video Berni!Always nice to see a video from a real Pilot, Much appreciated. (Have to watch this many time though...little to much info to swallow at once)/ Leffe rolleyes.gif

Dankeschön Berni, gut gemacht :-)!I really enjoy your video's although your natural flow in the cockpit makes me realize that there's so much more for me to learn ...Viel Spaß und Erfolg in Canada!

Herman Nienhuis

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

This is one of the best videos of a sim plane by a RL pilot I've ever seen. It was nice to see many of the things I have learned about NG ops confirmed by his actions in this video, for instance, little things like turning off the pitot heat during the taxi to the gate, or turning on the runway turnoff lights but not the taxi light during finals. This is the stuff I love to see, because videos can portray so much information much more efficiently than a typed out tutorial.

Ya man this guy know his stuff (obvioulsy if he's a RW NG Driver), his videos are great and FREE. I hope he plans on more, I've watched several of his videos and they are all awesome. This kind of stuff makes me rethink AoA Videos...since it's taking them soooo long to release anything.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Just finished watching the full video and amazing as always to see a real world NG driver flying the NGX! I'm left with 2 questions though:1. The auto throttle was armed even before taxi where I learned you normally arm it just prior to entering the rwy but maybe that is different between different operators? I know that SAS arm it just prior takeoff for instance.2. Same thing with the transponder, in the video it's switched ON while still parked before taxi where I always learned that is part of the before takeoff flow together with landing lights, strobe lights etc.If you have a chance to comment on this Berni that would be very interesting and most appreciated and if not I hope you will get a great time over in Canada and enjoy the flying there!Thanks again for your great videos so far and I'm looking forward to more of them when you get back home again, maybe some videos from Canada based on your latest real world adventures :(

Richard Åsberg

I believe the transponder is turned on prior to leaving the gate so the aircraft can be tracked on the ground. I hear the controllers at Hartsfield telling crews to cycle their transponders often. Sweet video buddy!!

wonderful video! you have a calm voice that is easy to learn from (if that makes sense?) i really enjoy your expertise! looking forward to more in the future, have fun in Canada :-)

I believe the transponder is turned on prior to leaving the gate so the aircraft can be tracked on the ground. I hear the controllers at Hartsfield telling crews to cycle their transponders often. Sweet video buddy!!
I'm sure you're correct that's the reason but I wonder why I always learned you shouldn't switch the transponder on until entering the rwy and same thing switch if off when exiting the rwy after landing. Maybe it's old school with old type of transponder equipment or maybe it's a simulation thing only when flying online because on IVAO for example you will be reminded about this very promptly by ATC if you forget about it...talking from personal experience :(

Richard Åsberg

I'm sure you're correct that's the reason but I wonder why I always learned you shouldn't switch the transponder on until entering the rwy and same thing switch if off when exiting the rwy after landing. Maybe it's old school with old type of transponder equipment or maybe it's a simulation thing only when flying online because on IVAO for example you will be reminded about this very promptly by ATC if you forget about it...talking from personal experience wink.png
Actually, the transponder setting used when starting up at the gate is "altitude reporting off", think of it as a sort of safe mode, which gives the tower the minimum information they need to track aircraft during taxi on their ground radar. You will find this setting on the NGX as "ALT RPTG OFF".And only when taking the runway, the pilot will move the knob from "ALT RPTG OFF" to "TA/RA", which is process most of us have been trained to do.Not all airports have this requirement for Mode S transponder use during taxi, it appears to be a requirement at the larger hubs or any airport with radar used to track ground movements. I look up this requirement in the airport's chart beforehand, it's often listed in the notes that the crew must enable the transponder at the time of pushback.Hope this helps!

Great, thanks for the clarification! Not sure how this will work on IVAO with the IvAp client but will look into it tonight.

Richard Åsberg

Regarding the transponder you are indeed correct. What you learned is the procedure for small airfields and GA aircraft. I work at LFPG as an ATC and the standard procedure is that crews switch on their transponder before taxi so that our ground radar can track them using mode S for identificaton. On small airfield not equipped with ground radar and where you have small GA planes often not equipped with mode S transponders, if you switch on your transponder before entering the runway, first it's useless, and the aircraft can sometimes appear on the air radar even if it it not supposed to, so it can clutter the image a bit. Hopes that helps !