Sign in to follow this  
Circletoland

New Video (~50min) NGX -700 real procedures in CorfuX

Hi Berni,Nice video! But I noticed your engine sounds are running while the aircraft parked at the gate - this is a FSX bug where the sounds get messed up when changing views.A simple trick is to press "Q" twice after changing views - this resets all FSX sounds.Cheers,

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Mode S also seems to have a ground mode. Even a certain G/A XPDR I've been using had a seperate switch position for that, on a small single engine prop. I wouldn't know what it does though or if it has a special code to it, never really used it as I wasn't going into airports that had anything close to ASDE (don't even know if that's the correct term here, at least some sort of tracking system that interacts with mode S xponders). However it's common practise for the heavies to have their XPDRs on for that reason. I would also think their air-ground logic takes care of appropriate mode selection and deselection of altitude reporting during taxi.sig.gif

Thanks for all input guys!Just got home and tried how the transponder setting in the NGX works together with the transponder setting in IvAp (the pilot client for flying online on IVAO) and found that as soon as you move the transponder from STDBY in the NGX it will make the IvAp transponder move from STDBY to TX regardless of mode in the NGX which will upset the ATC so I guess although not exactly how the transponder is operated IRL I have to stick to my old method not touching the transponder until I'm cleared to enter the rwy.

Richard Åsberg

Well that's a limitation of IVAP for sure. It knows nothing about any particular transponder modes. It doesn't differentiate between A/C or S, let alone different submodes of S. At least not to my knowledge. As far as their network is concerned, there is only on or off. The controller will see you in any way, the only difference it will make once you switch it on is he'll get the full data set, whereas with 'squawk standby' he'll get a reduced data set. But whether you shut down your avionics altogether or not, he will always have the reduced data as a minimum.sig.gif

Yes, IvAp only has two modes as you say. Not a big issue, just nice to know how it works IRL compared to in our simulator world.Just did a beautiful flight in Australia and I can't stop smiling when flying the NGX...without a doubt the best a/c I ever had for FSX!! And watching YouTube videos where real NG drivers like Berni flies the NGX almost like the real thing is nothing short of amazing :(

Richard Åsberg

A lot of things are improved in the -700 like the- compass indication on the PFD horizon when using the FPV- N1 limit page changes to airmode as soon as the aircraft is airborne- the RA shows -4 on gound!
Just want to point out those things weren't added/fixed in the 600/700, they're part of SP1 even for the 800/900.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

And I completely forgot, but thanks a lot Berni, great vids, very interesting !

Would still love to have a comment from a real NG driver or someone who knows what the normal procedure is for arming the A/T...before entering the rwy or already at the gate?

Richard Åsberg

GuysAny idea how the mid DU and Lower DU show the engine information. How do you set this up that wayI am using the 738. I think he has this set up nicely and I would like to have this tooBut how?Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

Found itThx anywayIan

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

First of all, thank you very much for all your kind comments! I was a bit in a rush, completing this video because of my "move" to canada. Now I´m in Montreal, which seems to be a great city, and look forward to my first flight to Cayo Coco next week!To go into the individual questions:

Sorry if this maybe is mentioned in the video, haven't had the time to watch it in full length yet but wanted to ask if you do any flying online?
To be honest, the most stressful thing at work is the ongoing ATC... all the day 14 hours full of chatter... you will be happy to get rid of the headset after those day´s! But of course I tested online flying.. it´s nice! But I don´t need this at home ;)
hey sir, you vid is GREAT! i think i noticed your german(:, anywho, where can i get you checklist?? please i will very appreciate if you can send me them!!(:
I get lots of request´s for the checklists. They are published in our company documents, which I´m not allowed to pass over the internet! I still hope, that no official will stop my work ;) so please check other sources. Are there no checklists from PMDG?
Hi,Very nice tutorial. A few questions: your VREF was 131/30, but your FAS was 139? Is that because of 131 VREF + 8 wind correction = 139? Right?And also, as far as I understand, you're a commercial pilot! Awesome, want to be one too later one, (if I can...).
Hi :) That was one of my mistakes in the video.. The right Speed increment would have been +5! It just happened inadvertently because I recycled the FD and the MCP window opened with the current speed which I didn´t adjust.
Thanks again Berni for another great video !Nice to see no Ezdok or TrackIr.
Thanks Jason! Yes, for my kind of operating the NGX Ezdok and TrackIR is hard to configure... maybe I´ll try it again in April, as soon as I´m back home.
1. The auto throttle was armed even before taxi where I learned you normally arm it just prior to entering the rwy but maybe that is different between different operators? I know that SAS arm it just prior takeoff for instance.2. Same thing with the transponder, in the video it's switched ON while still parked before taxi where I always learned that is part of the before takeoff flow together with landing lights, strobe lights etc.
Thanks for your message!1. That´s our procedure, the canadian operator arm´s it with the "cleared to active runway procedure..." ... so many way´s to operate this bird ;) I like the comment of an experienced instructor pilot "As long as you advance the throttles it get´s louder - pull: the trees get smaller" everything is fine ;)2. As Etienne say´s the mode S transponder works with ground and air mode.. We had the procedure before with transponder stby on ground, but on more and more big airports you have to switch to ground mode after leaving the runway / before entering, that's why we have the transponder turned on after enginestart until shutdown.
Hi Berni,Nice video! But I noticed your engine sounds are running while the aircraft parked at the gate - this is a FSX bug where the sounds get messed up when changing views.A simple trick is to press "Q" twice after changing views - this resets all FSX sounds.Cheers,
I have to check this, thanks!
Mode S also seems to have a ground mode. Even a certain G/A XPDR I've been using had a seperate switch position for that, on a small single engine prop. I wouldn't know what it does though or if it has a special code to it, never really used it as I wasn't going into airports that had anything close to ASDE (don't even know if that's the correct term here, at least some sort of tracking system that interacts with mode S xponders). However it's common practise for the heavies to have their XPDRs on for that reason. I would also think their air-ground logic takes care of appropriate mode selection and deselection of altitude reporting during taxi.sig.gif
Thanks Etienne, that´s the way it works!
Just want to point out those things weren't added/fixed in the 600/700, they're part of SP1 even for the 800/900.
Thanks Ryan.. :)Concerning the lower DU.. is the pop up feature after an abnormal indication like engine failure or high vibration implemented in the SP1? Did not check out this issue..However, thanks again for all your post´s, and feel free to ask I´f you have more questions..And finally, It´s an unbelievable realistic peace of software which PMDG published... I showed the videos to some instructor or examiner pilots even from my canadian airline. Everyone was absolutely impressed! Just imagine what a Level-D Simulator costs! About 30 million $... How much is the NGX again...?! Fantastic work PMDG!Cheers,Berni

Thanks alot for your answers, must say I'm amazed by your kindness and interest to invest your time and share your knowledge with us not only by your great and educational videos but also answering all our questions.Have a safe and great first flight to Cayo Coco :(

Richard Åsberg