Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

How much should a customer take.

my own opinion is two-fold: first, I have thought on many occasions over at the FTX boards that JV has been way too harsh, he sometimes comes off as being very thin skinned when it comes to criticism, and he also pretty much has a "my way or the highway" deal going as well, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way, me included sometimes. I've often thought that they should probably hire someone to handle communications and let JV get on with running the business, which he seems to do fantastically. here's the thing though, it's not my business, it's his, and he can do what he wants. on this exchange, since it's presented for review, I don't think it was really all that bad; I've certainly seen worse. he was a bit snarly, but he did acknowledge your concern and indicated that it was not a priority, but he would have someone work on it for a future service pack. in terms of customer support I would far rather receive that honest and frank reply than a lot of pretty words to hide the truth.And that's the second part of my opinion, you usually don't have to wonder what he's thinking! successful people, like it or not, are usually not really very nice. they know how to push people's buttons, and they don't usually have very much time for BS. the thing with JV is that when it comes to customer support, they do a pretty good job at making sure the issues are addressed, even if you thought he was being arrogant, he still addressed the issue, Orbx is a rarity in the flight sim world, they get stuff done. there's precious few vaporware products with them, the products they do release are very labor intensive and they are being released nearly constantly. As much as I have disagreements with some of the decisions they make. you can't fault the effort. they have done more to enhance flight simming as a whole than any company in the last five years. the only sad part is, I don't see anyone else rising to the challenge to do better in the scenery world. so give me someone who knows what he's doing, and knows how to get there, over a smiling PR/marketing guy any day.

From ORBX's advertising of FTX: AU Blue Temperate South

A NEW LEVEL OF REALITYFull Terrain Experience introduces a radical new modular design with a level of visual fidelity unprecedented in Microsoft Flight Simulator since its introduction over twenty years ago. For the first time ever it is a pleasure to fly low and slow and take in the depth of features that our ground terrain textures provide.FTX Features:Super-crisp, superbly detailed 1m per pixel textures unique to each regionCustom Landclass for every FTX Region Pack and 3D night lighting systems!Improved and highly accurate coastlines (AU Regions)Brand new autogen textures for trees, houses, buildings, roads and moreA set of freeware photoreal GA airports with every FTX Region PackUnlike FS2004, with FTX it's a case of the lower you fly, the more detail you will see! It's completely the reverse of what you have previously experienced, and it is only when you see FTX in motion on your PC that you will believe how truly immersive flying can now be.Experience the majestic beauty of the the temperate southern and western regions of Australia. From the rugged mountain wildnerness of Tasmania, to the Victorian central highlands, the terrain variety will delight and intrigue you. It's like flying over a brand new country for the first time. Discover the southern capital of Melbourne, the central hub of Sydney and the western cities of Adelaide and Perth. This region covers an area larger than western Europe and is just as diverse in its geography.
http://www.flightsim...products_id=537From JV:
The scope of the original FTX AU BLUE region never intended to include ports and infrastructure along the vast expanse of urban coastline and we represented as best we could with the small team we had at the time.You tone of the original post did strike me as slightly offputting and thus my terse reply.We did have plans at one point to make CityScape Perth by Jarrad Marshall but the cost of imagery was prohibitive at the time. Now that new sources of data have become available we can revisit Perth and Freo and look to add a CityScape product as intended. We have no timeframe for that project but are looking at resources for it as we speak.
Now it tells us.