Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Google Warehouse buildings in xplane..(scenery question)?

Ah, so that's what's causing the problem. Good work. :)Ok, after a few of hours of texturing and re-texturing, and model simplification, here's what I've got so far. (I re-did the texture for the Washington Mutual Tower, and combined the textures for both buildings into one file so they're using textures from the same file)Hopefully the whole process will get faster.Anyway, I'm off to bed.

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

Honnli, that looks great.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Toronto skyline starting to take shape, a few down, many more to go. It's not accurate, just want to populate the downtown area. I need to figure out how to do night textures I guess, other buildings look like the lights are on at night.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Thanks guys. Doing great yourself, Glen. :) This is so interesting!

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

Ok, after some more trimming, texturing, and re-texturing (not to mention the odd swearing here and there at sketchup and blender :(), I managed to get two more rw buildings into downtown Seattle.The Fifth Avenue PlazaAnd the Smith TowerMy Seattle is looking more "plausible" already. XDNow imagine if 9 other people are doing the same. Downtown Seattle would be populated with rw buildings in no time.Btw, is there a way to place objects accurately in the overlay editor instead of dragging them to their approximate longitude and latitude and lots of trial and error? Like entering their exact coordinate? And is it possible to get OE to display any of the default scenery data, like roads? My OE just displays an empty blue background with the odd runway layout here and there.. Also, does exclusion zones work in XP10? I've placed object exclusion polygons beneath my buildings, but they're not doing anything..

Steven

Wow-just the addition of a few buildings sure makes a difference! It really only takes a few in each major city.I am convinced there is an error perhaps incompatibility with oe and xp10-because my buildings with my shortcut method display perfectly in the window-on the oe editor screen-and I can manually change the texture in the folder-and again they will display correctly on the oe screen. Just don't seem to in the sim. I'm gonna check back in about 10 days and see if anything has changed.

Honnli, that really does look great. A non stop flight to Melbourne from Toronto looks to be just over 17 hours ??, and I can get one for a little over $3000 CDN. I'm on my way, need to see how you make such great scenery. :blink:Glen

Naw, you should visit Simmo first. He's the expert here. Not to mention a second trip to where Benny (the OSM2XP Benny) lives. :(@Geof, ah ok. I guess we'll have to wait till LR releases the new WED then.Ok, I should get some sleep before I splat on my desk.. :(

Steven

Ok, after spending a lot of time modelling in blender, I've gotten two more buildings into my Seattle (probably the last 2 for now).The two Union Squares.What my Seattle looks like. :PWith these two buildings, I've actually re-modeled them from scratch in blender, using the original Google version only as guide. The main reason for this is that the original Google Earth version of the second Union Square (the taller one) had a base that is not uniform in height, and this was kinda hard to fix. The other being that it might be good practice for me. So I thought why not give blender a go. It wasn't easy, and it took me quite some hours to model and texture just the one building, but I think I'm getting the hang of modelling in blender. The result looked pretty close, if not, identical, to the original Google Earth version, which I'm pretty happy about. Of course, the other Union Square (the shorter one) was much easier to model in blender since it's basically a square column with a slight protrusion on the sides.Anyway, I'm gonna take a break with importing buildings and instead, gonna do some actual flying (in simulators, of course). :PBtw, if anyone is interested, I can upload what I've got to somewhere and people can try it out for themselves if they want, though I don't know how well this sits with Google's terms and conditions.. Any thoughts?

Steven

Wow guys, looking really good! I've been struggling with a few issues myself, but have finally got the hang of it practically too. When the buildings are the right scale, wow they look great!Positioning? Yes it is a pain. I haven't tried it yet, but a real good solution should be to use Benny's new osm2xp tool (when it comes out) to map basic 3d buildings of osm, get them into blender and then replace the known buildings with your magnificent hand made ones. Then delete the extra buildings and it should work. I think. Another good solution that would require strong discipline is to use a scaled GE image to get the building positions right then tweak in OE.Here are my lates pics, I haven't positioned as well as you lot! They're just filler/plausible addonsBaron_58_68kseacbd.jpgBaron_58_70kseacbd.jpgBaron_58_69kseacbd.jpg

Ok, after spending a lot of time modelling in blender, I've gotten two more buildings into my Seattle (probably the last 2 for now).Anyway, I'm gonna take a break with importing buildings and instead, gonna do some actual flying (in simulators, of course). :PBtw, if anyone is interested, I can upload what I've got to somewhere and people can try it out for themselves if they want, though I don't know how well this sits with Google's terms and conditions.. Any thoughts?
Honnli, i can't see those pics.The main areas to Load scenery packs would be here and the xplane.org. If you've just used google as a guide I wouldn't worry.

Hey, you're right. My images are failing to load. I can see the thumbnails, but they don't load when I enlarge them. And I can't seem to edit my post too. Weird.. Perhaps the forum maintenance did something to it. Anyway, I'll re-post the images here then (hopefully they'll load this time).The two Union Squares.And my seattle.I might upload my "addon" tomorrow then.Regarding your post, wow, those look great, especially the dusk shots! And with your filler buildings alongside the rw ones, it'd would look pretty spectacular!About the positioning, man, it takes a lot of trial and error, and time.. Move the building slightly, then wait 2-3 mins to see what they look like in-game, then repeat until they're accurate, which can easily take 10 mins to position one building.. Hopefully the new to-be released WED will make it easier. What I did, though, was to use my already placed custom buildings as guide/measurement.

Steven

Wow, that is looking good. Your buildings look very detailed.Yes, to get such exact positioning looks a lot of work! But it's a buzz to get it working eh? Even better flying around.or driving.You're right, that's my intention- build enough filler buildings (and I mean A LOT) so we can feature the main local attractions in the middle of a sea of others. I'll be building the next level of fillers (100-150m tall), anyone is welcome to do 50-100 (the real meat of an average CBd) or I'll get to it eventually! If u can get your pack loaded to the org I'll see how I can position mine within. Exciting times.

Exciting times indeed. And yep, it sure does feels great to get it all working.I'll try and get my stuff uploaded in the next day or two.

Steven