Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Google Warehouse buildings in xplane..(scenery question)?

Or as we say in Oz, Stevo? Great work, can't wait to try. I've had a couple of Blender pains, read our blog if u want the gory details, but finally I've been able to successfully test a HEAP of building objects in Seattle, they came up well for fps as you'll see:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11vSktSItf8So I better post my collection over there too- i'll try it as a library so you can pick each building in OE or WED.Steve, does your pack use one texture file or does each building have its own? I've heard it's best for performance if u just use the one larger file.

Yikes, 5 times the lot?! lol Your video looks surprisingly smooth considering how many skyscrapers you've put in. That's great!About my pack, the 6 buildings share 2 2048x2048 texture files between them, so 1 file for 3 buildings. I find that about 3 or 4 texture sets in a file gives the best result visually (with taller buildings), since if I add more textures into each file, I'd have to scale down the resolution of each texture piece, causing texture clarity to suffer overall. But yeah, I've heard that too. The less texture files you use, the better it should be performance wise.

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

Wow, this is looking great. The disadvantage of XP, the absence of landmarks, is gone. I will print this thread for reference and try to work on it as soon as I have time.

It'll be good to get others involved, it's a big planet! My CBD pack is apparently invisible to some Mac users, but you might fluke it, download it here:http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=15425&st=0#comment_9088I'm uploading an update tomorrow, another layer of 50-100m buildings and the invisibility fixed I hope. Honnli's buildings look great in amongst them. All we need is a few landmarks like these for each city, with a large library of other plausible/generic buildings, and we are set. Jeeze, London needs a lot of work!Video of yesterday's version (hehe, its getting bigger, no fps impact)

Might want to hold off on London for now since Aerosoft is supposedly working on the European areas, which will be distributed to all XP10 owners when it is released.Btw, I haven't done much work on XP10 lately due to recently buying and spending lots of time in the new city building game "ANNO 2070", which is highly addictive!.. :( Hopefully I'll get some more work done after the new year.

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

Oh dear, another addictive game! Can its buildings be imported into xplane? :-)I've heard the Aerosoft version of London is nothing special. Besides it'll probably take months to finish off Seattle properly!

Oh dear, another addictive game! Can its buildings be imported into xplane? :-)
I've been thinking about that too, though it's not a modern city builder but rather a futuristic city building game. It might be interesting, though, getting some futuristic buildings mixed into, say, Seattle. :( About the feasibility of it, all the textures are there, but it seems like the buildings will have to be remodelled as I'm not sure what format they are in..
I've heard the Aerosoft version of London is nothing special. Besides it'll probably take months to finish off Seattle properly!
Yeah, they'll probably reserve the landmarks for their payware packages. And yep, it'll probably take a while just to do Seattle. Hopefully, more people will join in.

Steven

Thanks to all who have added to this discussion. It looks like this might work the way I have been using Google Sketch-up and a few other tools to bring in models from the warehouse and import to FSX. If this works as well for XP, I will probably never fly again because I'll be too busy adding new buildings.

Keith Guillory

Just wondering if anyone has any updates. I have been learning blender a bit over the past few days and am looking forward to adding to the discussion, as well as adding visual content, but I am really curious if anyone has made more progress. Thanks all.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I did look at a thread and it looks likes sketchup pro will "bake" a single texture and export it on a building. Not sure but that sounds like a fast way. Trouble is the program is $500....maybe a little high for me but not for a company....ahem.... :(

Happy with night progress!Jetranger_31.pngAnd now experimenting with xplane's dynamic lighting, eg building up-lighting. It's a challenge with its coding and positioning though.Jetranger_40kseacbd.jpgThe latest CBd file is here:http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=15425&st=0#comment_90889Geof, Blender baking is far better, yet it's free.

Yep, Simon has been making some incredible progress with his CBD stuff. Ain't it beautiful? The addition of dynamic lights is most interesting. I'll have to learn that from you sometime. ;) As for me, I'm currently in the process of collaborating with a fellow scenery maker to get some more rw Seattle buildings into XP10, and also working on night textures for my buildings. Don't know how long it will take, but progress is being made. :)

Steven

Thanks Steve. Yes, I was on a roll. Texturing is an art, including night, but I may fit in a night texturing tutorial video in one day. I've struggled for months learning, by doing, but the other day it all came together at once!