Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Google Warehouse buildings in xplane..(scenery question)?

I did look at a thread and it looks likes sketchup pro will "bake" a single texture and export it on a building. Not sure but that sounds like a fast way. Trouble is the program is $500....maybe a little high for me but not for a company....ahem.... :(
Geof,Do you have any other information regarding this? Perhaps a link to the thread.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I think it was here:http://tom.drastic.net/stuff/sketchup--3ds-max/

I have read over this post more than once over the last week.. It looks very exciting.. The process doesnt seem to be majorly difficult, and once you get the hang of it, it would probably be pretty quick..

Hey Wolfman, I am just figuring this out too and have made my first attempts at putting together a couple of buildings for Tulsa. That is where I used to live.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Alright, an update, finally! I have released an update to my Seattle pack, which now includes, in addition to the aforementioned buildings, the Columbia Center, the Colman Terminal/Pier 52, the Washington State Ferries, and a couple of port cranes, as well as night textures for all buildings. The buildings mentioned here are done by Larry (who I am collaborating with).The new Seattle skyline.The skyline at night.And the cranes.Here's the link to the file.http://forums.x-plan...&showfile=15392@Wolfman and Mike, great to see more people adding to the world of XP10. :) It's not overly difficult, but it can be fairly time consuming depending on the complexity of the buildings.

Edited by Honnli

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

Sweet Steve and Larry, looks great. Ha, I didn't know that swamp was the port area!I'll let everyone at the blog know about this, and will update the CBd file on return from nz- sheesh, 1500km of ocean between there and oz, a capital of just over a million people. (so its true, more sheep than people) A good place to chill!

Alright, an update, finally! I have released an update to my Seattle pack, which now includes, in addition to the aforementioned buildings, the Columbia Center, the Colman Terminal/Pier 52, the Washington State Ferries, and a couple of port cranes, as well as night textures for all buildings. The buildings mentioned here are done by Larry (who I am collaborating with).
Very nice job! Loaded it up in the demo and the buildings look great! You need to tone down the color on the cranes a bit I think :)

Thanks for the compliments guys! Much appreciated. :) The cranes would perhaps look better with a less vibrant shade of orange. I'll have a play around with it.@Simon, there are indeed lots and lots of sheeps in NZ (I've lived in Auckland for a few years before, though that was over 10 years ago). Perhaps you can bring one back as a souvenir? They'd make a great organic lawn mower, not to mention all the free manure you'd get, all in a cute and cuddly package! XD Hey, I know. Lets model some sheeps and put them in XP10. lol

Edited by Honnli

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

Well I just recently got the Detroit scenery by aerosoft for fsx. It is simply the most magnificent scenery I have ever seen. There are more than 1000 rw buildings in the city-even found the one I worked in with my car in the parting lot-and I have to assume google buildings had a part in this. Since aerosoft says they are supporting xplane I can only assume they will be coming out with packages like this for xplane....if so it will be a game changer for sure.

Last night I added the Seattle scenery to demo and was amazed by how good it is.If this can be done with more buildings, Seattle will look perfect, especially at night (great night lighting on the buildings btw).What I don't understand is, if enthusiasts can produce such quality work with freeware tools, why can't the developers do the same?If it can be done with relative ease by those in the know, then one would think the developers would at least add such a cityscape to the demo that is for most, the first contact we have with this sim.If I saw more great work like this completed, I would but X-plane 10 for sure and probably use it more than FSX.Again, great work!Cheers,Steve

Thanks Steve. I guess I should continue working on the project (took a bit of time-off from it). As for why developers can't/won't do the same, it comes down to the time and budget constraints, I guess. LR only have a dozen or so people working on XP10 IIRC, so doing cityscapes at this level of detail, even if only for major cities, wouldn't really be feasible and would delay the release by quite some time. Also, the usage of google warehouse stuff (like my Seattle pack) would mean you can't sell it commercially (unless you "partner up" with Google, which might be expensive and complicated), so if LR wanted to do scenery at this level, they'd most likely have to look else where for the source/reference, or make it themselves. But I agree, they should've at least given the demo area some more attention so that it shows what the sim is capable of (though this could end up misleading people to think that the rest of the world is as detailed =P).

Well I just recently got the Detroit scenery by aerosoft for fsx. It is simply the most magnificent scenery I have ever seen. There are more than 1000 rw buildings in the city-even found the one I worked in with my car in the parting lot-and I have to assume google buildings had a part in this. Since aerosoft says they are supporting xplane I can only assume they will be coming out with packages like this for xplane....if so it will be a game changer for sure.
That would be good news indeed.

Steven

Any update on the scenery building guys? The stuff you had both done is to most excited I have been about X-plane 10 since it's release so if there is any more news on this, please share.

Well, I don't really have anything major to report or share just yet, but don't worry, Larry and I are still working on adding more buildings to Seattle. ;) It'll probably take a bit longer though, since he's been busy with work lately and I've got some other things to do as well.P.S. I gave in and finally ordered a copy of XP10 the other day. Have to wait a few weeks till it arrives though. =P

Edited by Honnli

Steven

Great. I'm about to give in as well and purchase. The only thing that is keeping me from it is the lack of scenery such as your fanastic production. I saw some really nice screenshots on this forum of someone who had convered flytampa scenery from FSX to X-Plane 10 and it blew my mind. It will certainly be interesting to see how Aerosoft's converted scenery will look.