Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

What should my FPS be set at?

Currently I have the target framerate of 40FPS because that is the limit at which the framerates can stay at the same one without flickering all over the place. I was wondering should I just max out the target framerate or should I lower the framerate just a tad, which is better for the game?

If you're happy and it's smooth at 40 then leave it at 40!I think 30 is just about the sweet spot for most people. To be honest higher is not necessarily better, it's all about smoothness rather than big numbers. I personally cannot see any difference between 30 and anything higher, and actually I can run it quite happily at 20 without thinking "this is too choppy"!Also bear in mind that most modern LCD monitors only refresh at 60Hz (or 60FPS), so anything higher than that is completely pointless! think I read somewhere that the optimal FPS is half the refresh rate of the monitor, hence 30.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

When setting framerate you are shooting for smoothness NOT FPS. Most find 30 to work best if they are locking the frames. I run unlimited unless I am using a lite demanding aircraft/scenery.Jim

Jim Wenham

i'd also suggest you simply try some different values and see what works best for you!there's not really a 'correct' answer, it is somewhat system dependent and also personal taste.i find that setting unlimited gives me superior performance and is still very smooth, with much higher fps. and more importantly, the lowest fps i get are much higher. this is especially true with GA aircraft that don't have complex systems.as you can see from the other folks who replied, a lot of guys prefer the other way . also, some folks like to use an external framerate limiter instead...cheers-andy crosby

On my rig unlimited gives a smoother experience than locking fps at a certain level, even if it's 30+.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Same for me, I changed it to unlimited a few weeks ago and I seem to get a little better framerates and eliminated some stuttering.

Those of you running unlimited, are you using Bojote's tweaks as well?

NAX669.png

I am not, I am using Nvidia Inspector and NickN's recommending settings for it.

Those of you running unlimited, are you using Bojote's tweaks as well?
Nope.

Jim Wenham