Sign in to follow this  
bytes

Additional New Pictures of King Air C90 Up

Yeah they do... And I'm happy the pit isn't mostly glass.Question... Does Beach make a C90 with only steam gauges? I mean with a mechanical AI and HSI in the left seat?JB
It's Beech :( , and no they don't. The last C90's like that rolled off the line in the early 90's. I think the most recent one I've seen with all analogue instruments was manufactured in '91.Scott Edited by ScottJ.

It's Beech , and no they don't. The last C90's like that rolled off the line in the early 90's. I think the most recent one I've seen with all analogue instruments was manufactured in '91.Scott
Thanks
JB - yes, originally the C90 had steam gauges. It's pretty hard to find one now though. Most have been converted to what Carenado is doing, or to full glass.
And ThanksJB

It is probably too much to ask for, but it would really make the Sound package a winner if the prop sounds were added for when the power levers are placed in the Beta range. This is a distinctive sound that is sweet to the ear. Beta range is marked off between idle and reverse on the control pedestal for the power levers. It is visible on the default King Air 350 in FS9, but the sound is not there. Nor is it in the Turbine Sound Studios' King Air sound package.Beta range is used during ground control to make turns and braking using the power levers only as the range provides manual blade angle control providing positive and negative thrust. I doubt that part can be modeled in FSX, but the sound could be added for when the power levers are in the Beta range.Russ
I agree with you Russ --- I call that the Song of the Turbo Prop! It is such a sweet sound and nothing sounds better or more distinct than this sound during ground maneuvering. I also hope they add this -- it is missing in so many great turbo prop aircraft.Bob

Thanks for your comments, Bob. Even the recent release of Turbine Sound Studios' Super King Air HD sound package does not have any Beta sounds at all. Such a great opportunity and no joy.Russ

Edited by bytes2001

This is good to hear, Chad. I am waiting for the C90 and did not get the Malibu (camping out in front of my PC!). With the same Beta sound in the C90, then Carenado will have another winner.Russ

Edited by bytes2001

Thanks for your comments, Bob. Even the recent release of Turbine Sound Studios' Super King Air HD sound package does not have any Beta sounds at all. Such a great opportunity and no joy.Russ
No problem Russ. Glad there are "turbo geeks" like me who love the immersion in turbo sounds. During my working career, I spent much time on turbo commuters and absorbed many sounds from them. Here is a little clip of a C90 taxiing and it is unique in that it gives, at different times, pretty much the full range of feather to pitch sounds we have been talking about. Not the greatest quality of the sound but gives the idea to those who might not know what we are "lusting" for here in the C90.(Tried but URL would not take in the forum software -- too long)Will email to you if interested.See YouTube videos of C90 -- it is easy to find. Have fun as we wait for the C90. Edited by apollomaker

It's too bad that the FSX coding doesn't really allow for a "true turbine" start sequence. There's always that surge of power at the ignition point that kind of takes away from the feel of the PT6A. I have yet to experience a true turbine start sequence within FSX.

Guest bstolle

There's no real power surge on the PA46T after ignition. The only slight problem is that if you advance the condition lever to high idle at 12% Ng, RPM peaks at 77% before settling at 70%. You can start the engine with following work around to achieve a fully realistic behaviour:Advance the condition lever to 3-5%, keep it there until 68-69%Ng, thereafter advance it to hi idle and Ng will immediately settle at 70% without any power surge or Ng overshoot.It is in fact the same procedure IRL with the TPE331 with the manual fuel enrichment, but in this case it's just the opposite as you are manually reducing the fuel flow by keeping the condition lever between 3-5% initially.Carenado actually did solve this problem but unfortunately it did work only for one case of condition lever control.As there are 3 ways of controlling the condition lever, keyboard/mouse/hardware, they decided not to implement this feature as it doesn't work in every case.Still trying to find a better solution for the C90.

Edited by bstolle

Thanks for the reply Bert. Sounds like you know your stuff. I will give your alternate procedure a go. Great job on the FDE by the way. Feels really good.

In reference to the discussion above about the sound the props make when the power levers are placed in the Beta position, the following updates the termination currently in use for the C90B. For RW pilots who flew the C90A which had true Beta positions marked, the term seems to have been carried over when moving up to the C90B. A ground fine gate was added to the power controls of the C90B. Ground fine replaces the Beta range, flattening blade pitch and increasing prop rpm compared to idle power. It's used for taxiing and, for those careful pilots who choose to do so even though it's not required on the C90, computing accelerate-stop and landing distances. They are shorter — 3,650 feet and 2,290 feet, respectively — compared to the C90A. The Federal Aviation Administration does not permit the use of reverse thrust in figuring runway requirements but does allow for ground fine, which can be selected more quickly and positively than Beta or reverse. Still the same sweet sound. :( Russ