Sign in to follow this  
alainneedle1

From PCmag.

I think this is telling. This is without a doubt, a "game" and not a simulator.Also, look for this to come to your Xbox 360 soon.
Why do you think they dropped SIMULATOR from the title? ;)As they say, hint is in the name (or in this case, what ISN'T....).Best regards,Robin.

Well,I would say Flight is a rather typical bad compromise. In the beginning there were probably two independant groups:1. Wanted to create the next Flight Simulator.2. Wanted to make new games with the help of established libraries.The FSX had both tendencies in its Flight Lessons, but in the long run these flying lessons were not enough game for the typical gamer.Now they wanted to correct this mistake, but look at it from a gamers perspective. They might try the free version and perhaps the second plane if they already have a Live Account, but after that? I don't really see the fun part that motivates people to pay something extra to fly around the same boring islands. There are simply too many much more interesting and fun games that they can use.All these game elements are very common and well established and only some beautified looks won't be enough to hold gamers motivated long enough to really buy anything. And if they don't sell enough stuff, they simply drop the project.You can bet that in the background they talked about these added elements, that would enable them to reform flight to FS 11, but I don't see how this project can survive long enough to really enable them to add more interesting elements. Sure they could do anything if the sales are right. But who will really buy so much additional stuff that the programmers get the money to do the next elements?

Edited by Longranger

Well,I would say Flight is a rather typical bad compromise. In the beginning there were probably two independant groups:1. Wanted to create the next Flight Simulator.2. Wanted to make new games with the help of established libraries.The FSX had both tendencies in its Flight Lessons, but in the long run these flying lessosns were not enough game for the typical gamer.Now they wanted to correct this mistake, but look at it from a gamers perspective. They might try the free verion and perhabs the second plane if they already have a Livew Account, but after that? I don't really see the fun part that motivates people to pay something extra to fly around the same boring islands. There are simply too many much more interesting and fun games that they can use.All these game elements are very common and well established and only some more beautified looks won't be enough to hold gamers motivated long enough to really buy anything. And if they don't sell enough stuff, they simply drop the project.You cvan bet that in ther background they talked about these added elements, that would enable them to reform flight to FS 11, but I don't see how this project can survive long enough to really enable them to add more interesting elements. Sure they could do anything if the sales are right. But who will really buy so much additional stuff that the programers get the money to do the next elements?
I don't think your typical gamer will find Flight interesting whatsoever. If they could blow things up then maybe.Bob

Well,I would say Flight is a rather typical bad compromise. In the beginning there were probably two independant groups:1. Wanted to create the next Flight Simulator.2. Wanted to make new games with the help of established libraries.
According to Orbx, the original Flight team really was intent on making a true successor to FSX. Then Microsoft's head of the XBox games division entered the picture, and you know the rest.

Guest venustus01

Just goes to show that M$ never really took flighsim enthusiasts seriously :(

Edited by venustus01

At this moment MS is not expecting to make any money. They want to build user mass.Look at it this way: you are a typical gamer (no own money teenager) and you want the latest DLC for say Skyrim but you don't have the required MicrosoftPoints. What MS expects is that you will go chase gold coins in Flight so you can get free MicrosoftPoints that later you will expend in Skyrim. They hope that this gamer will get interested in flight itself so that ina future time those MicrosoftPoints will be used in Flight.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.