Sign in to follow this  
alainneedle1

From PCmag.

If true, I think it's excellent news actually. It will hopefully bring a load of fresh blood into the hobby.

If true, I think it's excellent news actually. It will hopefully bring a load of fresh blood into the hobby.
Doubtful. You are either interested in aviation or you're not. Those that are interested enough to do flight simulation are already doing it with FSX or XPlane or something else. Those that aren't interested in aviation are probably not any more likely to make any Microsoft Flight microtransaction purchases. The majority of the simmers out there already (especially the hardcore ones) are probably not going to use Flight for the long term. I believe Flight is destined to fail.

Victorwest2Having pondered upon it a bit, I think it will do nothing for the hobby. I think Microsoft completely missed the mark by failing to do any market research, We all know that FS takes some dedication to become part of. That dedication comes as a result of the big rewards after the fact. This program fails to provide any big rewards, and thus a new user's attention span wlll be extrememly limited. A couple of boring missions and it's over for them. There is too much actual exciting stuff out there. And I've flown around Hawaii quit a bit. It gets boring aweful quickly in comparision to the L.A. basin and all points east, Vegas and all points east, the fabulous N.Y city area, for starters. Then there is everybody's favorite place in the world to fly. For me that's Miami, Tampa Bay, and a triangle of touch and go's at night in a pitch black room doing NYC's three major area airports.I truly believe this will be a marketing disaster and it comes about for their complete failure to listen to their existing base while locked into a vault of secrecy and a perceived belief in the cloud being the holy grail. Right now I would reject the chance to even be a beta tester if offered. I simply would not care to invest the time in what appears to me to be a complete loser.Bob - Las Cruces, NM.

Edited by Toys_R_Us

Doubtful. You are either interested in aviation or you're not. Those that are interested enough to do flight simulation are already doing it with FSX or XPlane or something else. Those that aren't interested in aviation are probably not any more likely to make any Microsoft Flight microtransaction purchases. The majority of the simmers out there already (especially the hardcore ones) are probably not going to use Flight for the long term. I believe Flight is destined to fail.
Exactly. Only someone with no knowledge of aviation or flight simulators could think that any peaceful flying game could attract mainstream gamers. Only war flying simulators do as there mainstream gets action, peaceful will never do it no matter how many perks and such you put into it. Interest for aviation generally is what makes someone to use flight simulator. Edited by pvjinflight

Jim is still right here, waiting for that first jet to be released, then what?

Jim is still right here, waiting for that first jet to be released, then what?
By which time everyone here could well be dead and gone, but then you wouldn't have had to pay up would you!

Well, no wonder they kept everybody in the dark, they wanted to insure they got beta testers first.Bob

Still nothing definitive from MS. If the article is factual and no one else picks up the real sim market then its been great flying with you guys for the last 20 odd years. Catch you shuffling around the air museums! :-(
X-Plane 10, my friend. :(

I'm also bugged by the fact that the teaser movie they put out shows the player doing things with airplanes that are downright dangerous and illegal in real life -- such as weaving in and out of buildings in a downtown area and doing high-speed passes inches away from balloons. You can't do these things in real life, not without major consequences to life or license. But then again, games like Grand Theft Auto pretty much do the same thing, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

By which time everyone here could well be dead and gone, but then you wouldn't have had to pay up would you!
The world is not ending in 2012.

I am happy right where I am. I was not pessimistic nor optimistic about Flight. There were many though who hit the nail on the head.MS could have provided more info, but they loved to monitor the forums just to hear the speculation.Bob

Victorwest2Having pondered upon it a bit, I think it will do nothing for the hobby. I think Microsoft completely missed the mark by failing to do any market research, We all know that FS takes some dedication to become part of. That dedication comes as a result of the big rewards after the fact. This program fails to provide any big rewards, and thus a new user's attention span wlll be extrememly limited. A couple of boring missions and it's over for them. There is too much actual exciting stuff out there. And I've flown around Hawaii quit a bit. It gets boring aweful quickly in comparision to the L.A. basin and all points east, Vegas and all points east, the fabulous N.Y city area, for starters. Then there is everybody's favorite place in the world to fly. For me that's Miami, Tampa Bay, and a triangle of touch and go's at night in a pitch black room doing NYC's three major area airports.I truly believe this will be a marketing disaster and it comes about for their complete failure to listen to their existing base while locked into a vault of secrecy and a perceived belief in the cloud being the holy grail. Right now I would reject the chance to even be a beta tester if offered. I simply would not care to invest the time in what appears to me to be a complete loser.Bob - Las Cruces, NM.
But Flight won't just be Hawaii (apart from the free version) and I would imagine that there are a large number of current MSFS users that gained an interest in aviation because of the MS program rather than the other way round.

But Flight won't just be Hawaii (apart from the free version) and I would imagine that there are a large number of current MSFS users that gained an interest in aviation because of the MS program rather than the other way round.
But they were already interested in aviation if they made the effort to try MSFS, otherwise, why would they have tried it? Okay, maybe some people tried it just out of curiosity without any real interest in aviation and then became interested. But my guess is that number is relatively low. Edited by Xpendable

But they were already interested in aviation if they made the effort to try MSFS, otherwise, why would they have tried it? Okay, maybe some people tried it just out of curiosity without any real interest in aviation and then became interested. But my guess is that number is relatively low.
But there's a difference between having a general interest in "flying" and dedicating hours of your life to a hobby. I can imagine there are plenty that start the former but end up the later.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.