Sign in to follow this  
jazz_icetray

Does VRinsight CDU II work with NGX?

Hi guys,I'm planning to buy the CDU II Hardware from VRinsight.Does anyone can tell me if it works with the 737 NGX without problems? Is the CDU II difficult to install?Just want to make it sure, because it costs lot of money ;)Thx, David

David :)

Here's a link to CDUII forum and the NGX is right at the top of the posts.http://vrinsight.com/phpBB3_en/viewforum.php?f=16I own it and tested it out on the NGX, but my machine ATM is not strong enough to fully evaluate it as it started slowing down. I expect the integration-performance will get better if/once the SDK gets released as I'm not sure how they are interfacing with the 737 now.Their new software VriSim makes it alot easier than what most remember in the past. Basically two-3 clicks, resize window, save and Fly. It also comes with tons of extra keys so you can set it up for just about any CDU out there. I used mine mainly for the Queen as she is still my favorite, I only recently set it up as a 737. It has a bunch of pre-built profiles already and you can find more on the Vri Website. It also now can be detected by FSUIPC so you will have greater control over what u want it do.It's a solid unit, metal case, just set it somewhere hook up a couple cables and fly.

Hi David,Vincent is right. I fly the NGX with the CDUII, and it works fine. There is only one small problem, which is confirmed by Andy: if you made a typo in the scratchpad and you press clear to delete the typo, the whole contents of the scratchpad disappear. Personally, I should not wait for the SDK, because it could take a long time before PMDG give it free for developers.By the way, my rig isn't top of the bill, but I don't have problems with frame-rates or so.Henk Altena

if you made a typo in the scratchpad and you press clear to delete the typo, the whole contents of the scratchpad disappear.
Maybe i didn't get it, but how do you erase a typo without using "clear" ? I always use that button in the NGX ;)Just to make it sure: I can easily use the CDU II as a stand-alone on my table without using additional screws or fixes?! Edited by jazz_icetray

Yes it's standalone ,fully housed, raised, and tilted. Just make sure you have a free VGA output on your video card and are prepared to run FSX in Windowed Mode.

I already run FSX in windowed mode, because of getting black screens when switching between full-mode and desktop ;)And i have a free VGA port as well, so i think i will get that CDU :)Thx a lot for your help

If you have installed the CDUII, using the new VRI-software, then there is that small bug with the CLR key. This is a VRInsight bug!!For example, you would like to type into the CDUII scratchpad a COroute, for instance EHAMEGLL. However, you made a typo and typed in EHAMEGLM. Normally you press the CLR key to delete the M and then the L-key to correct your typo. However if you press the CLR key only once, it does not only delete the M, but the whole sentence i.e. EHAMEGLM, and you have to start all over again.Hope you understand what I mean: Again it is a VRI-bug, which should be solved by VRInsight.Henk Altena

Glad I spotted this thread. Didn't realise FSX had to be run in Window mode to use this hardware.

OK, so let me get this straight,I already have the CDU II, and bought it early September. I just downloaded the VRisim software, but nothing looks different. Same SerialFP2 stuff, and I'm not sure how to install it on the NGX...Any Help?EDIT: Nevermind, I found it....

Edited by Wendall

Glad I spotted this thread. Didn't realise FSX had to be run in Window mode to use this hardware.
Not the hardware, its FSX. Homepit software Project Magenta, Prosim, Aerosystems, Ifly provide external gauges to allow FSX to run full screen vice undocking a panel and moving it to a secondary screen.

I'm definitely am not trying to start an iFly v PMDG war here, I own both, they're both fine aircraft. But iFly gave VRi the SDK a long while back, and VRi hardware works almost perfectly with iFly, inc the CLR button. I own VRi MCP, 737 overhead panel and CDU2, they all work really well with iFly. Plus iFly has had some pretty cool updates in the last year. I think PMDG is nicer from an eye candy perspective, but having good hardware compatability was more important to me. I don't do LINDA and suchlike, so it had to be fairly simple for me to cope..