Sign in to follow this  
paul123

Different framerates on 2 identical computers FSX

Well Mr. Jim.Works for me. My deepest sympathies if it does not suite your system, :(
Never did I say how it performs on my rig, but the simple truth is that the larger textures you run the more potential impact it will have on performance. The effects can be cumulative once those are combined with bad weather scenarios, a/c using 4096's, and airports using large bitmaps (some ORBX). Fact of the matter is the the more complex a scenery is, the higher the poly count, and the larger the textures, the more your gong to notice a hit. NickN has pretty much stated the same in his tweak guide regarding large textures. Same could be said comparing 32bit to DXT clouds.The whole point was to mention the difference the OP since he's looking to improve performance and not get into a pissing contest between what your or my system will do.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm convinced the OP's issue is at hardware or driver level. I suggest to follow NickN's Windows 7/XP set up guide after a fresh format and start over from scratch.

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.0]Mode=1920x1080x32....[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.1]Mode=1400x1050x32[
Part of your problem is that you have two different [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA] sections in your FSX.cfg. You should have only one and is having two wasn't bad enough, they are both set to different resolutions.The bad part of Bojotes cfg tool is that it wont correct fsx.cfg mistakes, such as yours with two [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA] sections. If I were you I would make a copy of this one for tweaks or reference, then delete the one in the sim and start FSX and let it build you a fresh one. Then take the new one and run it thru Bojotes tool and tweak from there if needed. Just make sure you dont have duplicate [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA] sections.Also on the subject of resolution its recommended that you run FSX at the same resolution that you run Windows at. Seeing that you have one set at 1920x1080 and the other at 1400x1050 makes me believe that the 1920x1080 is probably the one that matches your Windows setting.

Ok, thanks for the replies, much appreciated, will give it a go and report back.

Hi Paul, forgive me if these things have already been pointed out, but just in case I thought I'd drop my penny's worth... first off, if you check my sig that will give you an idea from where I'm coming from. Firstly you have a few things in yuo FSX CP that are known frame hogs. 1) Your graphics section is fine, only untick lens flare. 2) Scenery is OK, although I always fly the NGX at normal AG. 3) Aircraft, untick aircraft casts shadows on the ground. 4) Traffic, this is the big one and one which will be using a LOT of frames. i suggest you swich off airport vehicles, set road vehicles to no more than 20%, ships off and leisure boats off. Now you have set your AI very high at 71% if you are not using a 3rd party addon then this will pull FSX to it's knees. I suggest you drop your Airline AI to no more than 30% and your GA to zero when flying out of big hubs and in the NGX, when flying GA, then drop the airline tab to zero and the GA to no more than 30%. I can see by revisiting some of the info that it's all good stuff, however I have always been an advocate of running locked frames in FSX. If you set at unlimted all you'll do is run the risk of poor scenery loading. At this point in your exercise, try locking at 25 I run locked at 28 and it works fine. BTW, as has been suggested, your water slider, drop by one notch too.With respect to Shane_IT, suggesting to run TML at 4096 instead of 1024? What is all that about? Paul, there are some good pointers here and also some rather questionable one's too. Jim made some very simple and straightforward points, I suggest you take them on board .I suggest before even considering your cfg, that you put into place the suggestions regarding your FSX CP sliders. Once that has improved things, and it will, then you can begin twekaing the cfg. But not before. One thing to remember is to use whatever values you have as a guide only. What someone suggests will work, invariably doesn't as all rigs are completely different , as you are finding out. good luck my friend. :(

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Part of your problem is that you have two different [DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA] sections in your FSX.cfg. You should have only one and is having two wasn't bad enough, they are both set to different resolutions.
If you have two monitors connected to your videocard you will have two entries.

On my i7 2700K doing no tweaks seems to be the best tweak! I don't even run an O/C. The risk of an unstable system and damaging hardware wasn't worth it for me to get a very few fps extra.The only way to compare two identical computers is to also have identical setups - meaning same software, drivers, onfigs etc. Also, the FSX versions needs to be identical with identical addons installed.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

On my i7 2700K doing no tweaks seems to be the best tweak! I don't even run an O/C. The risk of an unstable system and damaging hardware wasn't worth it for me to get a very few fps extra.The only way to compare two identical computers is to also have identical setups - meaning same software, drivers, onfigs etc. Also, the FSX versions needs to be identical with identical addons installed.
+1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

OK thanks some good pointers here, yes I have 2 monitors connected. I am just looking for some kind of benchmark here to make sure that it is not worth my while deleting everything and reloading again from scratch, we all now what a pain and how time consuming it is.I have just used my seagate image drive to reset to an earlier date with only FSX, GEX and UTX and the PMDG and Heathrow add on installed. Tried the same scenario and again I only get 12 FPS. I had a load of add ons before, over 20 GB so I have now ruled that out of the equation, but get this .... I took cmbellsjc's advice before I used seagate and ran a new fsx.cfg with Bojote tweak with exactly the same settings and the frames went up from 12 to 20. Thought this was odd so deleted it and reinstalled it again with Bojote tweak and it decreased to 16. Ran the config with other airports and there was a 25% decrease again in FPS.I just know that I should get more than 12 FPS with a stable overclock of 4.3 Ghz and a 560 ti.................... I know that no 2 systems are the same but if somone with a comparible system could run that flight for me it would be much appreciated.Paul

Hi,I'll repeat what has already been said, start with a frest fsx.cfgOnly add the highmemfix and the correct settings in FSX and try it out.I'm running my i7 at 3.8 (turbo mode no real O/C) and performance is not an issue...Good luck ;)

If you have two monitors connected to your videocard you will have two entries.
OK thanks some good pointers here, yes I have 2 monitors connected.
My bad, I was assuming you had only a single screen.

With respect to Shane_IT, suggesting to run TML at 4096 instead of 1024? What is all that about? Paul, there are some good pointers here and also some rather questionable one's too.
You know buddy, it was a suggestion I made because it smoothed things out on my system, IF you want an argument, you can take it up with me in PM, because I will not argue here. Thanks.

If you are not using any 4096 textures, then changing that value doesn't do a single thing.

Hmm, I'll try not to cause an argument when I prefix a reply with 'with respect.' Anyway, to the OP, you are running 2 x monitors??? Then sure... your framerate will be hit extensively. A bit like tuning a car over and over again and still expecting it to drag a ten ton trailer up a hill :(

Howard