Sign in to follow this  
bakaman

Tutorial: PMDG 737 NGX Flight Preparation using EFB, TOPCAT, FSBUILD & AS2012

I'm not criticizing, there are several profiles for the 738 data; i.e., PMDG NG, iFly, etc. Which one did you use? I have been using the PMDG NG profile and it seems to be a little off. Just wondering which one you are using.Art Schwartz, Jr.
Hi Art,Its your right to criticize of course, but i understood thats not what you were doing. Alright, sorry but i did not understand your first post: I'm using the PMDG Mixed class profile. I know the max is 160 pax etc..... otherwise when flying Ryanair or Transavia i switch to the PMDG single class profile.

Why don't you set FSBuild to automatically read AS2012 weather info? Just set weather directory in FSBuild to "C:UsersUserNameAppDataRoamingHiFiAS2012Weather" (that's from the head, I hope it's right path) - where the "current_wx-snapshot" is. Or edit fsbuild2.cfg: [FSBUILD] WEATHERPROG=ASA [MS-FLIGHTSIMULATOR] ASA=C:USERSUserNameAPPDATAROAMINGHIFIAS2012WEATHER I think that's about it.
Hi,Yes you are right. I've been using Activesky since the beginning (advanced), and there was a problem (known issue) setting FSB to collect AS winds: Because the FSB route average wind and AS average wind were clearly not the same(most of the time). So i've been doin it this way since then. Edited by bakaman

Hi Bakaman,Tx for sharing this video! This was very helpful for me! Could you also make a video to land the NGX with TOPCAT and EFB information.Many thanks in advance!

Hi Bakaman, Tx for sharing this video! This was very helpful for me! Could you also make a video to land the NGX with TOPCAT and EFB information. Many thanks in advance!
Could be interesting, i'll think about it. since many captains seemed to have some troubles with all these softwares coupled together, thats why i did this vid. But if there is another subject which i can contribute to, i'd be glad to help. feel free to ask!

Hi AllI have only just starts using TopCat but I am not getting along with it – before I continue please forgive me if I have made some simple mistakes, which I have read documentation and have searched for as much information as one can.Firstly when I ‘add new aircraft’ it’s data for PMDG’s aircraft is totally out of date, firstly not even having a 600 version and for example on the 800 ‘PMDG mixed class’ C is set at 12 which is great but Y has a maximum of 148, 2 pax below the true NGX maximum.If we look at PMDG NGX 800 single class TopCat sets the maximum at the true (Boeing) pax max – 189 while PMDG sets its maximum single class seating at 174 :((Is there any way of updating or importing new aircraft profiles for TopCat? Otherwise I am finding the standard PMDG fuel planning software (in the FMC) much better if admittedly a lot less detailed.Help would be greatKimberly Richmond-Jones

Really useful video, thanks. Even as a non-Topcat user I found it helpful and interesting - and entertaining! Nice work.

Paul Skol

Great job Kaman, so glad there is someone else that puts so much into flight planning. I use all the same programs except electronic flight bag and I use vRoute for calculaitng fuel requirements that are input into TOPCAT. I also use FSBuild from time to time along side virtual dispatch. Anyway, great video and informative. I am a stickler for load out and fuel planning as well.Thanks much.Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Hey Guys,This might help some of you without FSBuild. I have TopCat and I'm using Project Magenta as well as AS2012. With using the PMDG 737-700NGX, I have found a trick to almost match what the calculations should be, but first let me tell you about a free program from Achilles called Payload Manager (it's sort of read only program for the needed data concerning weights fuel and so much more), you can find it on www.mycockpit.org in the downloads section.So, using Topcat, the settings in the aircraft configuration section will be: PMDG Single Class Configuration of Y148 Cabin Layout, with 83,000lbs dry operating weight, 120,500 max zero fuel weight, 153,500 max TO weight and 128,928 max landing weight. Now, the PMDG 737-700NGX uses five load station with this Topcat-PMDG Single Class and the trick is this:1. When on the W&B of Topcat, you load the passenger load (for now just use 123 adults), for the cargo load a total out weight, in other words, load the plane full for cargo (don't overload though) and for the fuel load just use the estimate button for now. Make sure you do all that after you have selected your Trip Data of From and To locations (for this example use KMSP to KDEN). So, your values are in and looking at the Weight & Balance Summary, you will see the totals and the MAC % values as well.2. On the right side you will see the Payload Distrbution button so now press that and you will see a FWD Cargo Cell with weight value, a AFT Cargo cell with weight value and Coach cell with total passengers on board. Over to the left of that you willl still see passenger load, now look at the total value there, for this example of 123 adults they weigh 22,755, so you will use that value and we will call that value A, the FWD Cargo Cell weight let's call value B and AFT Cargo Cell weight value C for explaining this.3. Now, just select the Export to Flight Sim button and use Send (use must have the locations for the FSX Sim computer already set, if you do not, please read the instructions on how to do it as the information is too long for this posting).4. Next, go to the FSX Menu Bar>Aicraft>Fuel and Payload and there you will see the Change Fuel and Change Payload buttons. The fuel should be correct as to what Topcat sent over. Select the Change Payload button, and then look at those 5 stations. For Cabin will be 0, Mid will have 22755, Aft Cabin is 6614, For Cargo is 8131 and Aft Cargo is 0. And it is here that we make the correction for this to work. Take the value A of 22755 and divide it by 3 and you get 7585. So, first drop the Value C of 8131 down to Aft Cargo and drop the Value B of 6614 Aft Cabin down to For Cargo.Now using the answer for A value of 7585, place that same number in For Cabin, Mid Cabin and Aft Cabin. However, you will now change the For Cabin to 5585 and the Aft Cabin to 9585 (really what your doing here is shifting the balance of 2000lbs from the front more towards the back. So, select okay button and that load setup will equal as to what Topcat says it should be. The CG% will be 29% which matches Topcat and the way you can tell all of this is by using the aformentioned Payload Manager by Achilles (free program). There you will see the station loads and all the totals to verify them and the CG%5. You might say "well this is good for this example, but what about others?". Okay, the whole idea of the trick is to follow the method and it all comes down to that dividing of the passenger weights by 3 then moving 2000lbs of that back from For Cabin to Aft Cabin, as well as making sure Forward and Aft Cargo weights are in the right positions and are of correct weights as shown in TopCat. What if I had only enough passengers that the lowest weight is below 2000lbs? Well, whatever the total just divided by 3 and then remember to move a certain amount back. So, if an example of 1000lbs is that number, you should have to only subtract 200lbs and move it back from For Cabin to Aft Cabin, BUT! you cannot get the right cargo weights in because you can only load so much cargo weight. Besides when would you have only fly with 6 or 7 passengers...very rare?The point of all this is getting the passengers weights load correctly (making the division and shifting the weight), and then placing the cargo in the right locations. Thus far, I have found the above methods to work almost everytime. Sometimes you might have to check the shift weight, but most times it is a difference of 2000lbs (shifting). I mentioned Project Magenta (PM), well if I use these weights as such, it predicts the CG% to be the same as what Topcat suggests. If you did not make the adjustments and by not doing it through the FSX Fuel and Payload, PM would be way off and therefore, your flight would not be right.Finally, if you do this method and later change the passengers or cargo weights, you have to go through the steps again. So, you will use Export to Flight Sim again and go back through FSX Fuel and Payload as well. I suggest you do this once and take your time for each flight leg. I think for the most part this will workout for you. If you ask for the -600, -800 or -900, I don't know yet, but I believe if you switch the Aircraft Configuration weights (Dry, Max Zero Fuel, Max TO, Max Landing) in Topcat to match the weights of what they are in PMDG for the particular aircraft in question, it all should workout the same... Try it out and do some testing to see if it will be the normal 2000 lbs shift for the other aircraft, and then post back about it...Thanks for reading this long post,John

Really useful video, thanks. Even as a non-Topcat user I found it helpful and interesting - and entertaining! Nice work.
Thank you, really appreciate it !
Great stuff Kaman!I am certain your hard work will help loads of folks get more enjoyment out of the NGX.JW
thank you, actually that was the main purpose of this vid.
Great job Kaman, so glad there is someone else that puts so much into flight planning. I use all the same programs except electronic flight bag and I use vRoute for calculaitng fuel requirements that are input into TOPCAT. I also use FSBuild from time to time along side virtual dispatch. Anyway, great video and informative. I am a stickler for load out and fuel planning as well.Thanks much.Joe
LoL thanks my stickler brother ! No seriously i think you really enjoy your flight when it has been well prepared.... Since i fly on IVAO all the time i'd better have a good preparation . Thanks for the kind words.

I'm bringing this thread up again for 3 reasons:

1- i've noticed that the video was seen quite a lot, and to talk honestly, i did not expect to have over 5000 views in only 4months.

2- I'm having some PM and comments over at Youtube, and i thought that this forum would be the best spot to discuss this. Furthermore, sometime i'm not able to answer immediately whereas this forum is very active and someone else with experience might answer/help those having questions....

3-The most important: I'm seeing more and more "Rookies" over here at PMDG, so i guess this video might fill a gap for these folks.

PS: If any of you guys need a video to get something illustrated or explained, DO NOT HESITATE. Helping each other is a very good way to learn. I can put some time in making up videos.....

Have a great day !

Good video. I have used the Topcat export to my LDS767 but still waiting for it for the NGX, I have not had any problem with it.

I think as a follow up video you should consider the same thing for landing!

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Thx ! I might consider doin a video about how to prepare an arrival... thats right! Just waiting for some more suggestions and comment....

I went through this last night matching my PMDG Aircraft.cfg weights to match Topcat. Strange but on the -800 the Topcat values only match the PMDG numbers when you select the BBJ version. Anyway it all matches now and I am guessing that PMDG change the empty weight based on the selected equipment from the FMC...things like the hide away stairs option, etc.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000