Sign in to follow this  
billb1981

Autoland w/ Flare? 2nd Autopilot not engaging

Well I just recreated your arrival into KLAS 25L. No problem with Freqs from FMS or FSX map with ILS 25L inbound courses of 255 and identifier morse code correct.On my recreation from PGS Vor to PRINO listened for ILS morse code, when active selected VOR/LOC and turn off morse code. I select APP when LOC has captured and turning I/B. LOC established thats when I selected 2nd A/P. NGX does correct the I/Bound course to 257 (This feature is selectable from FMC menus cant remember which one).Performed as it should and advertised. Only my method but it has not let me down, but many methods are just as satisfactory.Hope this helpful for you guys.Regards Dave Baggs.

Edited by Dave Baggs

Dave Baggs.

EGLL.

Mmmm...I still cannot get the mistake I do... :SIs there written somewhere in the manual? I mean...how to perform an autoland?

Mmmm...I still cannot get the mistake I do... :SIs there written somewhere in the manual? I mean...how to perform an autoland?
Give the toturial a try: it ends with an autoland.

I'll have to check it too, as I'm going nuts, but I appreciate all the help. So I'm getting this bird on the ground, it flares, but why is it saying single channel, it beats me. Here is a screenshot.

Edited by billb1981

The best would be if you shot a video.This autoland video I shot just as I went, no script, so it is not fully correct. I was thinking about doing it proper some other time, but I never got around to it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spnMkEKrzAU&feature=plcp&context=C34302aeUDOEgsToPDskJ3uBDmw3F7nsVVW2s5gvEE

I'll have to check it too, as I'm going nuts, but I appreciate all the help. So I'm getting this bird on the ground, it flares, but why is it saying single channel, it beats me. Here is a screenshot.
Are you using the Collins or Honeywell MCP ?With the Collins + ISFD, you will see LAND 3 anunnciated and with the Honeywell, CMD. ( with both autopilots selected and below 1500 ft. )(The reason Fabo is not getting LAND 3 in the above video is because he is not using the ISFD with the Collins MCP. So no ROLLOUT just FLARE. )Fred. Edited by RYR738

It doesn't go to CMD or LAND 3 until around 1500 agl. No problems I can see other than why the heck your speed tape is jacked up.

Matt Cee

To arm the second AP, assuming no failures:* Both FD on* Both NAV tuned to the same and valid ILS frequency* APP armedAs noted above, so long as the engagement conditions exist, passing 1500 ft RA the system should automatically go into CAT 3 DUAL if the second autopilot is armed above this altitude. Once this happens the system is locked in AUTOLAND mode. The second autopilot must be selected prior to 800 ft RA.* Above 1500 ft RA - if APP armed or active, second channel can be armed* Between 1500 ft and 800 ft RA - if the conditions exist and the second channel is armed, system enters LAND 2 or 3* Below 800 ft RA - second channel arming is inhibited if it was not selectedVol. 2, Page 4.20.16 (PDF page 228) and onwards explains what the AP system is doing during approach/landing/rollout/go-around.Best regards,Robin.

Wait until you hit 1500 AGL. With both AP enabled you should have a CAT III and flare landing.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Wait a minute...the sption G/S (glide slope) in the FMC must be ON, right? Both when I select the procedure in the DEPARR page and on the APPROACH page, too. Lorenzo

Yes...this was the point!! The G/S option in the FMC MUST be switched ON. Only in this way the autopilots can be coupled and a full autoland conducted!Now I know what I was doing wrong!! Gooood!!!Thanks to everybody!!RegardsLorenzo

I thought the GS option was related to IAN approaches (i.e. non-precision approaches), NOT ILS???e.g. if you select a runway only at destination (no procedure and not ILS) then it will ask for runway extended center-line distance and fake glide slope to generate for vertical guidance based on aircraft position and pilot entered approach angle. In that configuration you can arm IAN via the APPR button, and fly the fake approach data for a non-precision FMC approach (not be confused with using LNAV/VNAV guidance for RNAV approach).Best regards,Robin.