Sign in to follow this  
Gundamnitpete

What this forum looks like to a new simmer

Yeah... Flight may not be what 'traditional' simmers are looking for, but that's not a new simmer's fault. He's (or she's) trying something new. At one timeall of us did exactly the same thing, whether it was MSFS, XP, IL-2, Jane's, USNF '97, Fighter Duel, X-Wing vs.TIE Fighter... whatever.We all found something special in this hobby. Let's help the newcomers do the same thing.
Well said and exactly in the spirit that we had hopped opening the FLIGHT forum would have engendered instead of the sophmoric stuff that has taken place and is now being dealt with.

I've tested the beta version of Flight and it's OK. But, all I really want isa proper fix to run FSX on Win7. That's not a FSX but a WIN7 fix!

mal7,Congrats on your 1st post!I might suggest the following:What you want to do is post your difficulty in the FSX Forum. Try and be as precise as possible, and give as much infoabout the issue as possible (when it happens, how it happens, where it happens, like what airport, what plane, etc.).Also, include specs on your computer, like the Processor, how much RAM, what Video Card you have and how much memory it has,the type of HD you have and its size, etc.).With this info in hand, it makes trying to track down the problem much easier.There are a multitude of options to get FSX working like a charm with Win7... the key is to track down your problem.Hope that helps, and Welcome to the Forums!Alan :(

Edited by ViperPilot

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I don't have anything to add to this topic - but I want to say "thanks" to all of you. As you can see, my post count/time in forum is limited. My time in life, my flying time, and my time in this great adventure of ours of computerized aviation, however, is a fairly reasonable amount. Anyway...This is the VERY FIRST topic I've come across in my time here that has no traces of the "unfriendly posts" that the original poster speaks of...thanks to all of you. Let's welcome newcomers to this simulated aviation passion we have, and encourage them!

Guest russellbdavis

I think the overall tone of this forum is due to Microsoft. We hardcore flight sim fans, have a level of expectation that is not going to be met with FLIGHT. Most of us have waited a few years with anticipation for the next great flight sim to continue the legacy of what we all love. This product is falling way short of our expectations and we are simply disappointed more than any other time in the history of flight simulation. Most of the users here haven't even seen it firsthand. As a beta tester, I've had a lot of time to play with it. My opinion is that I will continue to enjoy FSX and maybe take a closer look at XPlane to feed my desire to "fly". Whatever you want to make of it, FLIGHT just doesn't cut it for me. I absolutely abhor the need to have a Microsoft LIVE account.I think whoever is behind this FLIGHT project, is completely out of touch with the entire genre, and the people who have made it what it is.

I too, am one who has come to feel that speaking of Flight in a good way can attract aggressive attention. (I don't know about here, I am a newbie at Avsim)Of course, I have my own way of dealing with conflict on the web! I just Imagine that the apparently agitated person so determined to counter and drown out positive posts is "Bill the Cat" from bloom county, in a high dudgeon. (We are all aware these these are just games, right?)The resulting mental image never fails to break me up, and everything after that is just silliness. How can you get mad with Bill the cat on your mind? blum.gifbillc.jpg

Edited by HiFlyer'

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

O.P., Viperpilot, and newthog : +1My casual observation is that vitriol and "trolling" are not confined to the Flight! forum. They seem to be the very basis of some subforums.It is a shame if newcomers feel they cannot ask or offer reasonable opinion, without being attacked.A sense of entitlement often leads to the idea that "anything goes", and perhaps a sense that denigrating others somehow inflates ones self importance.A real shame indeed.

Has anyone been a member of a train sim forum? I used to be a big fan of the freeware platform BVE and later openBVE. One of the reasons I left was because of the childish behaviour on their supporting forums. Even here, I've never encountered anything like the sort of of abuse that went on there!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.