Hi guys im up for a new video card as my ati 5970 died :sad: ive done heaps of research i belive the best is the gtx 580 for fsx and pmdg add ons, MSI N580GTX Lightning XE OC Is the one i am looking at, ill get 2 and run them in sli for playing other days bf3 etc, any other graphics cards better then the gtx 580 for fsx?Thanks guys!Andrew

Edited by seaeagle2323

Nvidia are generally better for fsx. The drivers tend to have fewer issues.

The ati hd 7970 looks awsome! its a single gpu at 1000mhz it should kill the gtx 580? ill run it in cross fire for other games too, no word yet of the gtx 680 :(

I have the EVGA GTX580 and I love it. :D
I have an EVGA 580 too, and sometimes I give it a kiss before bed time.

I'm gonna buy the EVGA GTX 580 DS Superclocked very shortly! Let's hope it will reduce the famous FSX stuttering effect for me. blum.gif

Matching up a GTX 580 and a GTX590 in SLI won't work though, if that's what you're on about.

for the money, it might be better to just buy 2 560ti's if you're hard set on sli.

I have a ZOTAC GTX 580 and I am very happy with it...... just make sure you setup your fsx.cfg file correctly FS was using the Moboard card instead of the GTX 580.

I have the EVGA GTX580 and I love it. :D
GTX 590 here. Gives me a trouble free FSX experience. Edited by bpcw001

Dave P. Woycek

EVGA GTX 580 Classified Ultra 3Gb here and it's amazing. Also a GTX 460 1Gb for a second monitor. SLI disabled as FSX does not utilize it. Get the fastest single GPU card you can find for FSX.

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

I have an EVGA 580 too, and sometimes I give it a kiss before bed time.
GOOD ONE! me too.

Take care what you buy. Video memory is included within the Virtual Address space FSX alocates which means that the more video memory you have on the card the less is availble to FSX. FSX has a limit of 4GB so whereas a BIG card with BIG memory seems like a good deal (and it would be for Skyrim) it could create more problems than it solves for FSX.. People have reported a lot of problems with FSX CTD when using video cards above 1GB. Ryan has commented on this before in the PMDG forum because PMDG were getting lots of support calls which turned out to have their origins in this problem. It is not the fault of the ACES team who programmed FGSX in 2006 when 1GB of DDR5 on a video card was a distant dream. There is a tweak you can add to the FSX.cfg file to limit the amount of video RAM used buy I'm not sure how effective it is.Thw 580 will work fine provided you don't go above 1GB limit, but remember FSX is a processor based application. In the words of Lady GA GA it was 'born that way' so you will see a bigger difference with a faster processor. With a fast CPU and a fast card you should be able to run with Buffers pools =0 which will give you smooooooth framerates. The alternative is to buy a cheaper card and overclock it with MSI afterburner. I run an an overclocked 570 which gives me the same throughput as a 580. Couple this with an overclocked i5 at 4.5ghz and some basic Config tweaks FSX runs really well. I have frames extyernal;ly limited to 30fps (the human eye can't make out anything faster than this) most sliders turned up and a ton of addons. As long as your cooling is good you'll be OK.If you want cheaper bangs for your buck go for ATI but Nvidia still has advantages because of Nvidia inspector which enables you to optimise the card for FSX. Hope this helps.