Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

AS 2012 or REX with Essentials

I think it depends on where your priority lies.In my opinion AS is the best weather engine but REX2 has better textures (personal taste ofcourse...)If I had to choose only one of both it would be AS2012 without a doubt because I prefer top notch weather simulation over the better looking textures for clouds/water/sun/runways/etc...For me personally REX completes AS by bringing better textures (or at least textures I prefer over the AS ones) so I feel lucky being able to afford both :(

I think AS's runways and water are really good and I like REX's clouds and sky.
How do you install textures from REX, and not have AS2012 overwrite them when installing their specific textures?
I have the same question as Angelo :Thinking:Here's where I'm at. I'm currently using ASE weather engine without any textures. I bought the AS2012 upgrade and REX v2 during the december sales. I still haven't installed neither of them. Here's why:
  1. Waiting for a patch for AS2012 that fixes overcast and temperature problems
  2. Waiting for REX Essentials to be released
  3. Haven't found REX v2 manual online. Without the manual, I haven't figured out which to install first REX or AS2012.
  4. Haven't found instructions how to mix and match REX and AS2012

I have all this cool stuff waiting to be installed, basically because I'm scared to mess up my working FSX setup... :)

Edited by jpuustinen

Dude?Just install AS2012 now and stop worrying. I have no idea what overcast or temp problem you are talking about and I use AS2012 for every flight. You don't need REX or ASE if you have AS2012 installed, as it does a better job then the two of them combined. If Essentials adds something better, great! But deal with it then instead of waiting "just in case".

Edited by Paul_Smith

i quite like the AS2012 1 click "Install based on current weather" option, and its seems faster to install than the current REX but thats just me.

I love AS2012; it's put me in some absolutely beautiful situations cloud/weather wise...much much much improved over previous versions. I'd probably go for a mix of both, but AS2012 does a damn fine job with it all.

I have the same question as Angelo :Thinking:Here's where I'm at. I'm currently using ASE weather engine without any textures. I bought the AS2012 upgrade and REX v2 during the december sales. I still haven't installed neither of them. Here's why:
  1. Waiting for a patch for AS2012 that fixes overcast and temperature problems
  2. Waiting for REX Essentials to be released
  3. Haven't found REX v2 manual online. Without the manual, I haven't figured out which to install first REX or AS2012.
  4. Haven't found instructions how to mix and match REX and AS2012

I have all this cool stuff waiting to be installed, basically because I'm scared to mess up my working FSX setup... :)

rex manual can be found on their website and also its in the help in the rex manager once you have installed it, rex essential still in testing and by reading whats going on the website its not too far to being released and the best part of the essential pack is its free to the rex users Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have both and love em both.AS2012 provides excellent weather dipiction and Chris Willis has done a fantastic job on the clouds and runway textures, it feels very real going through those clouds and excellent performance, but i will be re-installing REX when essentials is released coz i love REX clouds and water too, i dont think REX'S sparkling water set has been beaten.....so........ im going to be using them both in conjuction with eachother to get the best of both worlds.

Edited by christos

Chris Howard

Dude?
I know! :)
I have no idea what overcast or temp problem you are talking about
There's a couple a threads about these at the HiFi forum. Basically the clouds disappear near your destination, even though your destination is reporting overcast. Also warm weather has been found high up (+3c at FL320 if I remember correctly).
rex manual can be found on their website
The link under REX's news section didn't work, but after a couple of searches around the forum, I was able to find the manual. Thank you!

High temps at altitude is a known issue with FSINN but I have not seen (or experienced) it with AS2012. Full overcast requires CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY to be set to 12 and it gets reset to 8 when ever a change is made to FSX.cfg. This is not an ASE or REX issue though they are usually blamed.

it gets reset to 8 when ever a change is made to FSX.cfg
Hmmm... I didn't know that it get's changed. I might have to make a script that checks the value is correct before launching FSX.

Hello,

Hmmm... I didn't know that it get's changed. I might have to make a script that checks the value is correct before launching FSX.
Already discussed and resolved in this following post :http://forum.avsim.net/topic/360024-how-to-easily-restore-your-fsx-configuration/

Best Regards

Marc Manandise

Windows 10 PRO

How do you install textures from REX, and not have AS2012 overwrite them when installing their specific textures?
Install textures from AS2012, then select what textures you want REX to install, and overwrite the AS2012 ones.

Joe Sherrill

Already discussed and resolved in this following post :http://forum.avsim.n...-configuration/
Thank you! Tried it and works like a charm :)