Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

Sharing Your Passion

Welcome to the forums and thanks! I agree with you. I am a hard core simmer but I have a lot of fun with Flight. I spent about two hours on it last night when I should have been working, lol!I think what sets people like us apart from the haters is that we have been able to mentally separate Flight and FSX/FS9 into to two complete different things. Yeah it's like pilotwings, but it's like pilotwings with realistic planes that fly like real planes. I got into a spin last night, I was blown away when it actualy happened. It was an actual, real spin and I recovered from it just like you're supposed to. Not once since I've owned any FS have I seen an actual spin.And that landing challenge where you're landing in a strong, gusting crosswind on what's basically a dirt road with trees along the side - that's was hard to do, and I had fun trying.Just like I sometimes like to play Battlefield 3 instead of FSX - sometimes I like to play Flight. It's just that simple.
Noah,It's scary to admit these things in full view of our peers in FSX, isn't it? To misquote what someone asked in one of these posts somewhere: "When was the last time you laughed out loud with absolute delight in simulated flying?" The answer for me is: The last time I flew in Flight. When was the second last time? Answer: The second last time I flew Flight!But you get the picture.

I agree with sharing your passion - do I think Flight is the avenue for getting our children etc into flightsims ? no ?I let my son (7) try flight this evening and he seemed very unimpressed (he has played FSX in the past - in small doses)his comments - almost straight off the bat were(1) graphics looked bad(2) where are all the planes I can fly ?no (1) you could argue - but (2) I totally agree with. I got into flight simulators playing the likes of FS4 on my dad's work laptop (I was about 10 ish at the time) - I used to love trying all the different aircarft, flying at different locations, and even making my own aircraft !! :) Did the scale of the program put me off ? no - its there to explore, see what you can find etc - you don't need to be guided through everythingI then went onto to buy all the succeeding FS series, Falcon 3, 4 etc etc - its what got me into flight simsbtw - when he tried FSX - after flying some smaller aircraft, his mind was wowed by trying a jet airliner - could he lower the flaps, go to full thrust (I have a X52), take off at right speed, then "fly around" and explore, look around cockpit etc ? sure he could, he found it pretty natural. He loved the fact that it was an aircraft that he sees at our local airport, and one hes been on. Was it too complex for him ? no. OK admittadly something like PMDG aircraft, or a full ILS landing would be way out of his ability, but all I'm saying is I think a FSX style game is plenty good and easy enough to get people into flightsims. It worked for me - it seems to have worked for my son.I just don't think everything has to be dumbed down so much - and people don't really need their hand lead through everything ....YMMV - just my views

Edited by Buckster

I completely agree with that - I don't see why in the world they couldn't have waited for more planes. From a marketing point of view - they are going to see their biggest influx of users right off the bat like this. If the game doesn't have something that appeals to someone, that someone is going to be uninstall it and be done with it. They aren't going to keep logging into it hoping that today's the day for whatever it is they want.Even if that's just one helicopter and one jet.Im sure they think they know what they're doing though.

Noah Bryant

Great post Noah and I second Tom's vote for post of the year. This post is a well deserved sticky. Thank you so much for sharing.

If anyone can help please, I am not able to change the view, it is stuck with Fly By view, no matter what button I press (F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12), also tried the joystick's button, still nothing, tried changing the controls and button's configuration, still not working, I am stuck with the fly by view, and I can't do any missions or fly it anymore, plz helpppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!P.S. I tried posting my problem in microsoftflight.com but no one replied from the team, and they don't have any support likes or what so ever :((

If anyone can help please, I am not able to change the view, it is stuck with Fly By view, no matter what button I press (F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12), also tried the joystick's button, still nothing, tried changing the controls and button's configuration, still not working, I am stuck with the fly by view, and I can't do any missions or fly it anymore, plz helpppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!P.S. I tried posting my problem in microsoftflight.com but no one replied from the team, and they don't have any support likes or what so ever :sad:(
Hi and welcome. :)Have you gone into Flight's option menu and tried to checked out the key/and button assignments? You have to select your joystick from the pull down list (it always defaults to display the keyboard assignments).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

One thing I'd also recommend...spend the $99 to get an intro flight at the local airport. Kids will love it.Scott

Great post Noah and I second Tom's vote for post of the year. This post is a well deserved sticky.
Thanks sir - I appreciate the kind words!

Noah Bryant

Flight is not for you. So don't get it. When a company comes out with a product that I'm not interested in because it doesn't offer somehting that I think I would enjoy, I don't start screaming bloody murder about it. I simply just don't buy it and get on with the things I do enjoy.
So very true Noah. Brilliant OP, brought back so many good memories for me with my two daughters. Wish I had Flight back then. They are 18 and 20 now and have no interest in flying... Maybe one day.Cheers and thanks again.

Flight isn't a, "loss." Taking away FSX would be a loss. Flight is just something different.
And yet, what was 'taken away' with the publication of Flight in its initial form was the very real hope that this release from MS would be the next generation core simulation platform so many desired. I think thousands of soft to hard core simmers would have been overjoyed to see MS release a product which added much better coding efficiency, GPU support, multi-core support, better on-board ATC and so forth. After all, many 3rd party developers were spawned because of this model of core platform + SDKs, and so gave end users a very bright future of variety & progressive realism to look forward to. Think about most all of the add ons we have come to look forward to buying/installing: many to most served to increase the realism of the sim, from complex aircraft to detailed and believable sceneries and utilities. So I think it's quite true: this release does indeed represent loss to many. All this being said (over n over!), it is what it is. Fortunately as you say, FSX doesn't go away if you install Flight.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Noah,I just read your post today. But two days ago, I did the same with my son (10). He really enjoyed this new product of MS. In another environment, he is happy to fly like his dad.And now we enjoy to fly together in Flight... He is so enjoyed that he will buy the DLC with his own money.And to be fair, our kids are the next "simmer" generation....Bonne journée !!!Regards.Frenchsimmer

Edited by frenchsimmer

He is so enjoyed that he will buy the DLC with his own money.
Shoot... should have thought of that earlier.... I am going to let all my kids play MS Flight and let them pay my DLC! Great idea! :wink:

Lol.I paid the computers, the flight sticks... They can make an effort... It is a way of weighing their passion...Seriously, they like the game...

Shoot... should have thought of that earlier.... I am going to let all my kids play MS Flight and let them pay my DLC! Great idea! :wink:
LOLOLOL :LMAO: That is good for you, but my youngest kid is 33. If I asked them to do that they would likely gang up on me and take my computer away!Kind regards,