Sign in to follow this  
Kerberos42

Back in the fold

Great post,I went on a similar pc adventure, with flight sims, I remember my first computer an MSX 64 KB of memory (my current computer would hold millions of these) and a cassette player to load the software. I can remember loading the flight sim software, having my evening meal, watch a bit of TV, back in to the office and I would be ready to fly, line graphics about 16 colors and we thought it was wonderful, flying under the San Francisco Bridge etc. etc. Wow!! Haven't things changed :Hypnotized:. I just recently bought a new high end computer and it is smokin >>> I am so enjoying MS Flight it's flying as it should be, not just clicking on the auto pilot and sitting back and waiting to get to your destination ( don't get me wrong I still enjoy FSX and always will, I'm not going to compare FSX with flight as they are so diferent).I got out my old Amiga 1200 last night, I got it in the early 90's, I loaded in MS Flight sim II, I still have the original software, and I had a ball,the poor old joystick has seen better days and the graphics are so bad didn't know any different back then, but the flying part of it hasn't changed much at all. I am glad I kept all my old computers and am amazed they all still work. I think I got my first computer in 1986.I am enjoying reading through all the posts on Flight, now being retired I have time on my side and looking forward to see where Flight heads to in the future, I'm going to buy the Hawaiian pack now (more adventures). :Shocked:Gary

I think the intention was to extend the user base, not just replace long-time simmers with new ones . . . which seems to be happening.
Upon reading this post, my first impression was "what happened to Arwen?".I am pretty sure I read this wrong, because you seem to be saying that long-time simmers are just replaced by new ones, instead of Flight extending the user base.I would certainly agree with this. I see very little evidence that the user base is being extended, however, it appears that people who have not flown FSn for a long time are trying out Flight.My view is that a performance upgraded FSX would have done the same thing and would not have alienated a sizable part of the flight simulation community.

Upon reading this post, my first impression was "what happened to Arwen?".I am pretty sure I read this wrong, because you seem to be saying that long-time simmers are just replaced by new ones, instead of Flight extending the user base.I would certainly agree with this. I see very little evidence that the user base is being extended, however, it appears that people who have not flown FSn for a long time are trying out Flight.My view is that a performance upgraded FSX would have done the same thing and would not have alienated a sizable part of the flight simulation community.
I also think you will find here, several long time MSFS simmers - I would be in this category - enjoying Flight as well, in addition to FSX rather than instead of it...So from what I have seen the last few days, Flight is bringing in newcomers, bringing in some folks that have not flown in a while, and also a cross over from the more hard core simmers from FSX/FS9. I suspect as more word gets out , there will be more of the latter as well - time will tell.

I also think you will find here, several long time MSFS simmers - I would be in this category - enjoying Flight as well, in addition to FSX rather than instead of it...So from what I have seen the last few days, Flight is bringing in newcomers, bringing in some folks that have not flown in a while, and also a cross over from the more hard core simmers from FSX/FS9. I suspect as more word gets out , there will be more of the latter as well - time will tell.
I don't know about "hardcore" [as they see themselves] simmers being drawn to Flight in large numbers.It is my observation that AVSIM Flight forum is the only site that has a generally positive opinion of Flight.It is resoundingly dismissed in all the other FS sites I frequent.RB

While I agree that FSX was/is a great simulator, I am glad that they created this one with a new graphics engine. No more tweaking and hitting SHIFT Z to see if things were better - usually to no avail. That alone has been a great move in the right direction. I am sure that other goodies will come with time.

John Wingold

I don't know about "hardcore" [as they see themselves] simmers being drawn to Flight in large numbers.It is my observation that AVSIM Flight forum is the only site that has a generally positive opinion of Flight.It is resoundingly dismissed in all the other FS sites I frequent.RB
It is really too bad. I love change, even though I am bonded to the past, so the hostile reaction remains somewhat of a mystery to me.

It seems that many of the "thumbs down" writers are ones who have never even downloaded the program or that flew one or two missions and quit. Others are ones who seem to want to see some alien spacecraft full of robots land and start shooting "real" aircraft out of the sky. "Old" simmers who are willing to accept a little change seem to like what they see.

John Wingold

Could it be disdain for MS ? I lot of flight simmers are mad because they won't be getting a FS11 and will be getting Flight instead. I suppose i look at it the opposite way. We are getting something different and that's ok. Kind of a glass is half full perspective.Re Pali highway, that is what i thought as well. I followed it back and forth a few times, then gave up and tried the other highway and there it was.

It seems that many of the "thumbs down" writers are ones who have never even downloaded the program or that flew one or two missions and quit. Others are ones who seem to want to see some alien spacecraft full of robots land and start shooting "real" aircraft out of the sky. "Old" simmers who are willing to accept a little change seem to like what they see.
I think you are right on there - I have seen many long time flight simmers, that do not take the time to truly check out what Flight is. They either don't bother, or download it and take a look at the first two missions, and call it quits. These are typically the ones that already have preconceived notions of what it will be.Actually, I was one of them - I did not download it on the day of release or the day after, I had decided that it was just not going to be for me. I now had FSX running so well and looking so good with some recent addons, and was just not going to be deterred from it.Then by happenstance, I found myself home bound due to something beyond my control, not able to do very much but sit in a chair, at least for the short term - was bored and decided what the heck, I will just download it and see for myself.Well the rest is history by now I guess, I have since purchased the Hawaii Pack and the Maule, logged over 9 hours of flight time, and have reached level 12 so far - and had a blast doing so...No, Flight will not take FSX place for me, at least not for a long time - but I can and will enjoy both.For many it would seem, they take the impression that it is all or nothing with either sim - I myself do not look at it that way, they both bring enjoyment and fullfilment to me in different ways.

Sorry, I obviously didn't do a very good job in writing what I wanted to say. I have language issues, and did not read over my post as carefully as I should have (it made perfect sense to me). I should have written: I think the intention was to extend the user base, not just replace long-time simmers with new ones.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE