Sign in to follow this  
Kerberos42

Back in the fold

Welcome back!I too am a recent returnee. I used to haunt these forums waaay backwhen there was a racing forum here.And, as you are, I am throughly enjoying Fight.Especially the Stearman. I can do arobatics in that plane mucheasier than in the Van.Hope to hook up with some of you online.usta was avsim id=ronzo155multi gamertag=ronzo155RB

Welcome back. Good to hear I'm not the only one bending planes more than I should!

interesting, didn't MS intend to attract young blood with Flight :Thinking:
You'll be 'pleased' to know that I spend a reasonable amount of time in multiplayer answering questions that new guys put up - those that don't just want to try flying into me in their Mustang.Mike

Is that at KBFI or KPAE? I need to get a nice pic with my ride next to some heavy metal. You are lucky to have so much nice riding on your doorstep, I'm headed across the border to WA state everytime I get the chance for rides. Plus the "moving violation" fines are much better! Gotta remember <250kts under 10k!Sorry for the off topic, now back to your regularly scheduled FS chatter.

Welcome back. Good to hear I'm not the only one bending planes more than I should!You'll be 'pleased' to know that I spend a reasonable amount of time in multiplayer answering questions that new guys put up - those that don't just want to try flying into me in their Mustang.Mike
As do I.I see a lot of players stuck in scenery, and coach them out of the weeds.I see even the "young" don't RTFM...lolRB Edited by raul2

Peter's experience is much the same as mine and I won't bore everyone with a virtual repeat of what he said. I am much older, 68 (almost 69) and had also lost a lot of my interest in MSFS, probably because it seemed like MS had quit the production cycle. I tried X-Plane and it lacked the "polish" and friendly feeling of MSFS. Now, I am seeing on this post many people who are "back" because of a well done program that offers an immersive and enjoyable experience - not just for the novice, but for the "old timers" as well. I really appreciate not having to tweak to achieve great visuals. It takes a lot to "wow" an oldtimer, but this is doing it! 'Nuff said, but I'm happy to be back.

John Wingold

Alas, this is not a motorcycle forum, but its nice to see more riders that fly.
Great post by the OP.Pretty much took the same route - 1982 commodore 64 and sublogic, ATP, F18 to FS95, 98, Sierra pro pilot, fly 1 and 2, fs2004, fsx. 2009 got the motorcycle bug and haven't looked back. Started out on the ninja 250 for 3 months then bought the cousin to the dl650, the sv650. Now riding the yammi fjr 1300. Anyway, still using FSX on my 5 year old machine flying mostly in Alaska with FSeconomy so I'm curious or dare I say looking forward to seeing the new Alaska DLC in the spring.Ian.

Is that at KBFI or KPAE? I need to get a nice pic with my ride next to some heavy metal. You are lucky to have so much nice riding on your doorstep, I'm headed across the border to WA state everytime I get the chance for rides. Plus the "moving violation" fines are much better! Gotta remember <250kts under 10k!Sorry for the off topic, now back to your regularly scheduled FS chatter.
KPAE. Look up Paul Allen's FHC (Flying Heritage Collection). They have the 787's parked all around within spitting distance of public roads. Great chance for some nice shots! They have made about 70 and are stacking them all over the place waiting for engines.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

welcome back! I'm in pretty much the same boat with being gone for a while, other interests, etcone of which is my K1200R - been riding for over 30 years, and it is the most continuous fun I have EVER had riding!Pali Highway aerocache was great - having had the good fortune of spending a lot of time in Hawaii, took off from Hickham, followed the highway out to where it crosses over, and flew right over the aerocache in the pass!Does anyone else look at the aerocache info, and then hunt for it in "Free Flight"?

interesting, didn't MS intend to attract young blood with Flight :Thinking:
I think the intention was to extend the user base, not just replace long-time simmers with new ones . . . which seems to be happening.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Regarding the Pali Hwy aerocache, I could have sworn it wasn't actually on the Pali Hwy, but on the John A Burns Fwy, (H-3). There are 3 roads over the mountains, North to south: H-3, Likelike Hwy (Rte 63), and Hwy 61 - the Pali Hwy which goes past the lookout, then has the 180 degree hairpin on the way into Kailua. I almost lost it in my rental Mustang here having a little too much fun! The Aerocache was on the northern most hwy, the H3. I kept flying up and down the Pali Hwy, (with the 180 hairpin) and was never closer than "less than 5 nm".Maybe i'm just nitpicking here, but if Microsoft keeps making errors like this.... then I may have to re-think my glowing review above! :P

I thought "Pali Hwy" referred to several of the freeways that went through the pass? When I was there I was too concerned with seeing as much of the Island as I could during the day - and going out at night - too research stuff like that enough!

I thought "Pali Hwy" referred to several of the freeways that went through the pass?
Even the Aerocache clue specifically references Hwy 61 from Honolulu to Kailua. Pali Hwy is used on road signage for this route as well. Again, I'm just nitpicking!

Another real world Pilot who was there in the begining, I am 66. I just bought a fresh copy of Fight Simulator X, Gold Edition for 30 bucks on line. I still have a lot to do there but right now I am in love with MS FLIGHT. I have not flown for about 25 years for real, but the yearning is still there. I used to rent a C172 but the most fun was a 4 seat Grumman Cheetah AA5A with the sliding canopy. The new Vans R6 reminds me very much of the handling and feel of the real world Cheetah. I have owned every edition of MS Flight Simulator, I really look forward to FLIGHT for many years to come! I like the fact that I will only have to buy what I want, and that will NOT be any heavy iron. To me that is not real flying, I prefer down and dirty, nape of the earth flying.Long live GA.

I thought "Pali Hwy" referred to several of the freeways that went through the pass?
Nope, there are three roads up and over the Ko'Olau Mountains... the Pali Hwy to the south, the Likelike Hwy in the middle, and the H-3 freeway to the north. The had the marker on the wrong road. Maybe getting fedback on it will encourage them to double check locations in the future, so I sent them some.