Sign in to follow this  
Boatinman

Delta to buy AirTran's 717s?

I was over reading on a.net about a rumor that Delta was thinking of picking up AirTran's 717s. I personally think this would be a great idea for Delta. If for nothing else, as much as I hate to say this (being a big NWA and DC-9 guy), to replace the aging fleet of NWA 9's, along with maybe some of the older MD-88s (maybe on less filled routes). I would love to see those 717's live a long life. Thoughts?*insert stir the pot emot here*PS: Maybe this will get PMDG to think about making the 717 haha

I think the 717 would be better off at American. Perhaps they could get retire their older MD-8X with the newer 717. Maybe make the Chapter 11 stuff and the future easier.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I think the 717 would be better off at American. Perhaps they could get retire their older MD-8X with the newer 717. Maybe make the Chapter 11 stuff and the future easier.
The 717's passenger capacity is too low to accommodate the demand of the MD-8x aircraft. It is a perfect fit to replace Delta's old NWA's DC-9's.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Why would anyone want to buy 717's? One of the biggest flops in commercial aviation. Not a real plane not an RJ.

Why would anyone want to buy 717's? One of the biggest flops in commercial aviation. Not a real plane not an RJ.
The only reason it is no longer in production, is the acquisition of McDonnell Douglas by Boeing. Since Boeing already has an aircraft in that market, (The 737-600) It became redundant. Boeing essentially acquired MD not for it's commercial aircraft, which it systematically put out of production, but for it's Military divisions with their lucrative Government contracts. There was nothing wrong with the plane itself.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

It's actually a very good aircraft, but it had some bad timing (same with the MD 90-30, which had more success in the Asian market). AirTran had engine swaps down to about 15 minutes on average. I'm not saying you can't do that on another aircraft, but it's simple enough to be done.It would be a smart move on Delta's part. Delta ended up buying a ton of the production MD90-30s (51 of them), and then they liked them so much that they're buying 7 more from JAL. The 717 has a common flight deck with the MD90-30, so it would be a reasonable move. Since they don't have the 736, it wouldn't overlap the 737 fleet by much (though it would overlap part of the NWA acquisition's Airbuses).

Kyle Rodgers

Delta has been buying a bunch of used MD-90s from different companies. Doesn't seem far fetched to me...

It would be a smart move on Delta's part. Delta ended up buying a ton of the production MD90-30s (51 of them), and then they liked them so much that they're buying 7 more from JAL. The 717 has a common flight deck with the MD90-30, so it would be a reasonable move. Since they don't have the 736, it wouldn't overlap the 737 fleet by much (though it would overlap part of the NWA acquisition's Airbuses).

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

The 717's passenger capacity is too low to accommodate the demand of the MD-8x aircraft. It is a perfect fit to replace Delta's old NWA's DC-9's.
Hope this is the case! I LOVE the 717..... The Rolls Royce BR715's are the most incredible sounding engines on planet earth.

American's already committed to an all NG and A32x narrowbody fleet basically though.
Too bad that they ended up filing for bankrupcy protection, because it was their first time ever.. Anyways, about time they did get a bigger order up. All those good ol maddogs gonna need replacement soon.. To badBoeing stopped the 757 production.. Wonder what theyll replace them with..?Luckily, Blue1 has gotten themselfes a bunch of 717`s, so I dont have to travel halfway around the globe to finally catch a ride on them:-)

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Too bad that they ended up filing for bankrupcy protection, because it was their first time ever.. Anyways, about time they did get a bigger order up. All those good ol maddogs gonna need replacement soon.. To badBoeing stopped the 757 production.. Wonder what theyll replace them with..?Luckily, Blue1 has gotten themselfes a bunch of 717`s, so I dont have to travel halfway around the globe to finally catch a ride on them:-)
The 737-900 is the direct replacement for the 757 (Boeing production-wise).American is replacing their MD-8X aircraft with the A320, A320neo, and the 737-800. The 757 will be replaced by the same A320/neo, 737-800 and the MAX if they do order it.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Hope this is the case! I LOVE the 717..... The Rolls Royce BR715's are the most incredible sounding engines on planet earth.
Yeah, I consider it somewhat of a privilege to see them flying into and out of DCA a good bit. I went spotting the other day over there and the 717 actually ended up being the first and last aircraft I shot that day.Here are some of the pics: http://kpilot13.blogspot.com/2012/03/from-ground.html

Kyle Rodgers

Strict Standards: Declaration of group_forum_breadcrumb::sendOutput() should be compatible with that of output::sendOutput() in /opt/webdocs/newsite/forum/hooks/group_forum_breadcrumb_d29bf565a59f776807044fd19e49258a.php on line 107

AirTran had engine swaps down to about 15 minutes on average.
No engine on a modern commercial aircraft can be 100%, from start to finish, be swapped in 15min... Its physically impossible. If you had 100 some odd people maybe.. but the paperwork, logbooks, etc.. alone cant take a good hour or two. As for as dropping and engine and hanging another, you have to to an inspection in between and that can take a few mins to get signed off. On a DHC8-200 with the PW123D's I can drop and engine with a crew of 4 total in appx 2 hours. This is from the aircraft off the flight line to the crate on the back of a truck. This includes s/n verification's, work card documentation, etc.. etc.. We can hang an engine and have it run ready in appx 2 - 3 hours. It takes another 1 - 2 hours to do engine runs (engine trim and leak check). This of course is the perfect scenario, you are always guarenteed to find an opps, aw sh**, uhh, whered that come from, etc.. type problem any time you do maint. on an a/c. There are also times when you do not have a QEC'd (Quick Engine Change Unit) engine ready to hang. If thats the case you strip the engine you drop from the a/c and build up a basic engine to put back on.. This, for the PW123D, takes a solid day or two with a good crew and all parts on hand. I'll see if i can dig up some maint ref's to post that show some of the steps when removing or installing an engine... Best Regards,JR

Understandable.I just repeated what I was told and I could see how that would be a great exaggeration, especially as they never specified exactly what part of the whole endeavor was done in 15. I'm not debating you, but when it comes down to the actual "swap," I wouldn't consider paperwork and all of that along with it part of the swap.In any case, the post wasn't to say "oh hey, look how easy it is," rather it was meant to illustrate that their guys had developed an art of it (exaggerated time or not).

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle,I talked to some Mechanics at Air Tran recently on this exact subject and they actually told me the Engine was the only thing they Didn't like on the aircraft. Not because it was unreliable or anything like that but simply because that side mounted high bypass fan is a nightmare to uncowl, just like the MD90. Luckily being a Rolls you don't have to uncowl it often. I think the 15 Minute estimate was actually 15 hrs from what they were saying. Its not an easy engine to work on or change but it is very reliable.

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg