Sign in to follow this  
CoolGunS

Hardcore simmer not impressed.

Downloaded it, gave it a fair go, tried it out. Not impressed.Sorry Microsoft but as a long term MS Flight Simmer this doesn't cut it.I will come back to this 'game' in a couple of years and see if you've really understood the demographics of the flight hungry public.Good luck with it. Yes you will get paying customers but will they be as loyal as the ones you've abandoned? Will they stick with it? Will they keep buying DLC? Or will they get bored? The hardcore simmers don't get bored! That's why we're hardcore.I foresee a new generation of flight simulators taking over from where FSX left off and Microsoft licking their wounds in a market they had once dominated. I foresee many of the MS Flight customers moving "up" to these new sims for a challenge and abandoning MS Flight altogether. I foresee MS Flight becoming a training ground for some other vendor's simulation. I have read somewhere that the old Aces staff are already making plans to muscle in. That's great news and gives hardcore simmers like me hope.I felt I had to express my right to an opinion on a topic I know well. Some people will obviously not agree. It is inevitable. This post may be flamed, it may even be removed - but I won't know because I won't be checking back.I've said my peice.I now go.Bye.CoolGunS

--==CoolGunS==--

I felt I had to express my right to an opinion on a topic I know well. Some people will obviously not agree. It is inevitable. This post may be flamed, it may even be removed - but I won't know because I won't be checking back.I've said my peice.I now go.
Yeah, right. So why are you reading this.

Sorry to know, and, at the same time, interesting since I, a somehow hardcore simmer in the past, a fanatic about accuracy of physics model, flying turboprop by the book, airliners "like a pro", gave up more than a three years ago to restart flying for real, after more than 20 years away from the real flying.It took me some time to give up from MSFS, desperately tried xplane, flight gear, ELITE, Condor, SilentWings and very recently, when I returned, Prepar3D (interesting but still based on the "Primitive ESP-inherited from FSX physics model", and xp10 - interesting but simply too erratic and full of bugs/limitations although being advertised as "the perfect flightsim". Curiously all I find in FLIGHT just as it is right now, and even not considering that I will want or be able to buy each and every DLC, is SIMPLICITY where it is required in a flightsim, ACCURACY where it should be, even if the overstress/damage model id turned off (but still present ;-) ), howesome scenery and weather effects, above all a uinique sensation of being there.Of course I still use Condor Soaring because nor MSFS, nor xplane did ever come close to the specificity of this type of free flying, but I would really like to see a glider or motor-glider added to FLIGHT, and if the weather get's even better then, who knows, I will also be able to "fly" gliders in FLIGHT :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Hands down (all summed up) Best sim ever!!! Also use AEFS4 and really enjoy it, and sometimes XP12 too...

Downloaded it, gave it a fair go, tried it out. Not impressed.
Hey CoolGunS,No reason you should be flamed or the thread deleted, unless it were to degenerate into what some have in the past, and hopefully that will not be the case.I am a somewhat hard core simmer msyelf, and have found I am really enjoying Flight - for what it is - a very different product that does a very different thing versus say FSX.My hat is off to you - at least you did download it and give it a fair go. Not your cup of tea and nothing wrong with that. Several have not even gone that far with it, to see for themselves like you did.Have fun in whatever sim you prefer, after all that is what it is all about in the end - having fun!

Tip for useful communication: There is little point in writing long correspondence with no actual content.(Hint - In all that, you said little more than "I don't like it. Bye!" Some explanation of how/what/why would perhaps have given your message a purpose.)

You're a bit late to the party! All the cool kid 'hard core simmers' were hating on it nearly a month ago! :PI do kind of think that MS may have missed an opportunity to win over certain types of people by putting two planes with no instrumentation (or even flaps!) to speak of. If the RV has been packaged with the freebie version, I can't help thinking people might have judged it differently. As it is you're never going to convince someone who has puttered round in the Stearman and Icon that if they forked over some cash there is actually much more to Flight than it first appears.

If I were you, I would send a harshly worded email to Microsoft asking for my money back, nay, demanding it back!But I'm not you and you are not reading this and you payed for nothing.Anyway.I tried some MS flight sim quite a few years ago and it confused me. I uninstalled it and gave the disk to my old man.I always wanted to give it another go.I knew this were not going to be FSXI because I read stuff about it,I was told and I quote "hay dipsh*t, this flight simythingy is for you"Was it not clear what this was going to be?

I knew this were not going to be FSXI because I read stuff about it,I was told and I quote "hay dipsh*t, this flight simythingy is for you"Was it not clear what this was going to be?
Hey Plasticspoon, welcome to the forums!!I have to respectully take up for him a little in this regard.Yes there was a lot of talk, quite a lot, on the forums in regards to what Flight was going to be, and what it was not going to be, leading up to the release of it to the public.I too like him, am a hardcore simmer - he may be a little more hard core than me, I don't know , maybe not. And if he follows any forums at all or kept up with the press releases, he knew going in that he may be dissapointed... at least he did give it a try , which many did not even go that far. I was one of those that upon reading all the feedback on what Flight was going to be, had decided there was no way I was going to support it, not even download the free core product and give it a try. I love my FSX with the addons I have in it - and saw nothing in what I was reading that led me to think in any way Flight would be something I might actually like.Due to unforeseen circumstances I found myself homebound during it's release - got bored one day - thought wth it is a free download and I got nothing better to do, I will then at least be able to say I did try it.Well here I am later , 32 hours of flight time in Flight , and have been thoroughly enjoying it. And if I had kept the attitude about it I had prior to it's release, I would have missed out on these 32 hours of enjoyment that really helped pass the time for me whilst homebound.So that is why I guess I feel a little compelled to take up for this guy a little - at least he did as he put it, give it a fair go. There are so many of us, that did not even do that, and I am certainly glad I changed my mind and did. Still love my FSX and addons and will still continue to fly it as well...Sounds like he probably won't be reading these responses, but if he does I would encourage him to email the Flight team at msflight@microsoft.com and let them know in more detail over what he posted, why it is not for him. In a courteous respectful manner of course - they need our feedback, both positive and negative.

I just wish people would keep it on their drives for a bit.I like my driving games, not sure if i'm hardcore but I can be a bit of a snob about some things.I'll play anything that involves driving stuff, I dont care if its iracing or burnout paradise, if its fun, its fun.Shirley it must be worth a few gig of hdd space for a few months?I feel special having not been tainted by years choice :D

So that is why I guess I feel a little compelled to take up for this guy a little - at least he did as he put it, give it a fair go.
Did he really "give it a fair go?" I'm unsure because there's absolutely nothing to indicate just how much of a "go" he in fact gave it... :Thinking:For all I know from what he wrote, he may well have never gotten past the first two mandatory "introductory flights..." It's for sure he never tried either the RV-6A or the Maule so he could've discovered that navaids are present and supported, nor that anything aside from "play time" was included.I agree wholeheartedly that at least one of the aircraft in the free download of Flight should have included the basic instruments for navigation, so it could have been more comprehensively evaluated by everyone......that wouldn't have scared off the absolute beginners either, because they wouldn't even know what those instruments were for, much less that they actually worked and add value to the program. :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'll play anything that involves driving stuff, I dont care if its iracing or burnout paradise, if its fun, its fun.Shirley it must be worth a few gig of hdd space for a few months?
Boy howdy, that brings back some memories, I was so hardcore into race sims it was unbelievable. Many many hours online racing, even admin'd a very large league at one time. At least two or three nights a week along with some very long races on the weekends.I truly really burned myself out on it - which is why I guess what time I do have for computer gaming, is spent on my other passion - flying. But even then, all these years later, I am still burned out on multiplayer and have no desire whatsoever to do multiplayer online with any of my many flight sims on my computer...

Did he really "give it a fair go?" I'm unsure because there's absolutely nothing to indicate just how much of a "go" he in fact gave it...
While that may be , I go on the presumption that he did give it a fair go as he stated, or at least what he would consider a fair go for himself. I am sure everyone has a different perception of what their fair go would entail.In my particular case, while I already had the preconceived notion I would not like Flight , something had to have perked my interest upon the initial clicking the play button, to at least keep my interest to get beyond the first two required missions to unlock all the others in the core product. I honestly can not remember just what perked my interest enough to continue past those first two missions but something did - I suspect it was probably the graphics, sound, and great performance on my system. Had I not done at least those first two, hung it up after the first one, obviously I would not have gotten an accurate picture of what Flight was. But even then, it was several days later after messing around with the core product, before I fijnally relented and purchased the first DLC for me - the Hawaii Adventure Pack. By then though, I had enough of a good impression with what I had done in Flight with the free product, to motivate me to purchase the DLC.So in my mind I guess, I would consider a " fair go" for anyone, to be at least getting through the first two missions, and then spending at least some time in the rest of the free core product - trying a little of each aspect of what it offers, ie the missions, challenges, some free flight. I would even go so far as to say maybe even purchase the Hawaii Pack, just to have the RV6 and get to play around a little with it, if nothing else lends the support to MS for continuing to develop the MSFS franchise...But to each their own I guess, what is a fair go for one, may be entirely different than what is a fair go for me.

I have been a hardcore simmer for years and I really like Flight.......if your'e not gonna play it dont moan about it.....!!!!!!!

Guest Antlab
......I felt I had to express my right to an opinion on a topic I know well. Some people will obviously not agree. It is inevitable. This post may be flamed, it may even be removed - but I won't know because I won't be checking back.I've said my peice.I now go.
While I can fully understand your reasons for not liking Flight, in my opinion is not really educated to enter in a forum, write the first post, and then announcing that you will not check back to the answers. These should be places where discussing with others views and ideas, some sort of good social exchange, so in general it would be nice to also consider what the others have to say.Just my opinion.A.