Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

My AVG Anti Virus Program Says My FS9 May Have a VIrus

Hi all,Now I have another problem. I Installed the Free AVG 2012 Anti virus program and it's tell me that my FS9 may be infected by an unknown virus. It gives me 3 choices. 1, Move to Vault, 2, Go to File, and 3, Ignore the Threat. The File Name is c:Program Files (x86)Microsoft GamesFlight Simulator 9FS9.EXE. The Threat Name says: May be Infected by unknown viurs Win32/DH. I know something is wrong here because FS9 does not contain a virus and I think it's a false definition. Have any of you had this problem? What can I do to correct this problem?By the way, you'll see another post that I've posted below that's the same as this post. I accidently pressed the Enter key and for some reason it posted. I tried to delete that post but I couldn't. So, just ignore that post and read this one.Ken.

Hi Ryan,Thanks. I called AVG and they transferred me to their technical support and they said that the FS9 software is an old software and may cause problem in Windows 7 and they will have to make settings in Windows 7 to work with both AVG and FS9. It would cost me $59.00 and I'm not going to pay it. I told them that I'll just un-install the AVG program. I went through this same thing with my Linksys router and I heard the exact same story from their third party. It seems to me that Windows 7 is a program where one has to call some tech support every time you turn around just to get help with an issue and pay them $60.00 here and $60.00 there every time one has a problem!Ken.

I run XP and I have had this problem too. Namely with BAE 146 etc and also with CS 757 where when I try to install those two aircraft my antivirus softwaresays there is a trojan and so I cannot use either of those planes. In the past these problems were talked about but no one, meaning the publishers seem to see fit to solve these problems. They say it is the antivirus that the problem and the antivirus companies say its the publishers fault. I read where we have to convince the antivirus people to change the the AV program. But the publishers put the problem in and I tyhink it should be the publishers who solve the problem not me..................John

Hi John,You're absolutely correct. Now days, the publishers don't care one way or the other, and this includes Microsoft. When Windows 7 was designed by Microsoft, why do they think they have to designe their software where settings have to be made in order for our programs to work and we have to call technical support to fix the problem. They put too much emphasis on security enstead of performance and what we want out of it. Ken.

Hi KenWe bought my wife a new computer this year and it came of course with win 7 installed and no win 7 disk. Well she hated win7 with a passion so I wiped it out and re installed XP and now she is very happy again (SMILE). I think new is not always better, I never buy something just because it is so called up to date.............John

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and have no problems with reports of fs9.exe containing any virus. MSE is free and does a very good job.Unlike some people I happen to like Microsoft's products. :(

I second Microsoft Security Essentials, and also to use MalwareBytes PRO as a backup. The Reason?If MSE or any other AV does detect a virus (I've used Comodo, Vipre, Avast, Avira), I wait for MBPRO to detect it also, or I run a secondary scan with MBPRO If the MB scan comes up clean I knows its a false positive.MB has not in any way interrupted or caused any perf issues in FS9.Just as an FYI, I am not affiliated with MB in anyway, I just use it alot with work and at home. It's a life/time saver.

Hi John,They put too much emphasis on security enstead of performance and what we want out of it. Ken.
And if MS did just this then how many complaints do you think there would be about the holes in their operating system?I would much prefer to have to set a parameter or two in some third party piece of software than frequently re-build my system because Windows wasn't robust enough. But come to think of it I do run several non-MS products under Windows 7 and the default installations have always worked fine - never had to tweak any parameters.DavidDavid

Simple Big%20Grin.gifPut the "offending" file(in this case "FS9.EXE") on the "exclusion list" so this file will be not scanned by the realtime antivirus scan engine (all good antivirus softwares have this option)

My advice to the original poster is to buy a decent product. Skimping on freebies leads to exactly the problems described - a requirement for payment to fix things. Its logical enough. A paid for product will almost certainly have an automated process to upload any file that is thought to be a false positive and they will make the necessary updates to the virus definitions.I have never ever had to "exclude" a file from scanning and I have worked with computers almost since time began. The only suspect file I uploaded (an FS download) actually turned out to be a genuine virus!John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

I used AVG free for a year and it was a headache. My system (XP32) on a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 even with AVG set just to scan on demand (for loading files) took twenty minutes to stabilize. I also got false warnings on some Windows system driver services on its spyware check.I went back to Norton AV and it works well. I also have Zone Alarm Pro for a firewall and while there is a conflict with NAV that is easily taken care of with exclusion options and privilege options in both.My only negative comment about Norton was that after two years subscription renewals had to be handled by their tech support as the on-line renewal did not work for XP anymore. That's why I tried AVG.

I've used ESET for years with no problems. It also has a very small footprint on the system. I used AVG and really got fed up with it.

I used AVG and really got fed up with it
Ditto, AVG11 was the last straw, too much bloat and too little user control.

Regards,

Mark