Sign in to follow this  
GUSTAVO_NILSON

What about a classic 747?

Hi guys!Growing up in the 80s and having a father who worked for 39 years at LH gave me good oportunities to fly good old classics. Namely: DC-10s, 747-200s, DC-8s.....I really like the idea of a lot of automation, HUD, RNAV and RVSM but IMHO needing to "think ahead" of the situation, work like a crazy on VOR Course needles, HDG bugs, etc... that's what I call real flying and "being in control" of the situation.This Video this gives me goosebumps!! Turn your volume up!!!!

What are the odds of PMDG producing such a mechanical and great old lady?Best regards!Gustavo

Cool but with PMDG having 4 projects on their mind I think it's now too early to speculate on what the next should be.

I'm not interested in it at all since it needs flight engineer to fly it. Flying a 2-crew plane is already hard, can't imagine if anyone can fly a 3-crew airplane alone while following exact procedures.

I'm not interested in it at all since it needs flight engineer to fly it. Flying a 2-crew plane is already hard, can't imagine if anyone can fly a 3-crew airplane alone while following exact procedures.
That's a very good point! Damn, shame!

maybe fs2crew would do a fs3crew? :(

I absolutely love the old planes but I still want an FMC in there (like they do now...all the old birds still flying ie. 707, 727, 747 Classics, etc).

If there's another classic after the DC-7, its gotta be the Douglas DC-3, what a lucrative product that would be!

Inactive

What about a virtual F/E like SSTSIM has in their Concorde?

What about a virtual F/E like SSTSIM has in their Concorde?
Even more impressive is the virtual flight engineer in A2A's Boeign Stratocruiser: Captain of the Ship. Being able to manage so many systems with so many variable is a true feat. I've gone 5/7 the way around the world in my Stratocruiser with only an autopilot that holds altitude and heading, a heading gyro that needs adjustment every 5-10 mins, and four Pratt & Whitney R-4360's to manage; trust me, a 747-100/200/300/SP wouldn't be hard.

Inactive

The 747 classics were very interesting aircraft, especially the -100 with the JT9D-3 engines. They were very temperamental and underpowered for the aircraft and all the airlines had huge problems with them.Here are a few quotes from PPruNe and Airliners.net forums.

- 1) Under powered ,delivered not enough thrust for the ever increasing MTOW of the 747, to get maximum thrust HP turbine section was operated at limits.- 2) Very sensitive for tail and X-wind, especially during starting, causing hot starts or stalls.- 3) Ovalisation of the engine casing during T/O, causing blade rubbing and loss of efficiency.- 4) In general very stall sensitive during power transitions, don't put the power levers suddenly to idle.- 5) Damaged HP turbines, caused by failing rivets in blade-retaining plates in early engines.
the -3's had a nasty tendency to flame out at the top of climb due to surge bleed valve problems at power reduction.
One I remember is that at top of descent the FE would be tasked with closing the thrust levers. This was done at a practised and special rate. Too fast or slow, and all four engines would flame out.
Those early BOAC 747 flights to JFK often failed to achieve their assigned levels by the Shanwick boundary.I recall Shanwick requiring one of them to read out each hundred feet of altitude as it painfully clawed its way upward. When it triumphantly reached its level there was a round of cheering from other aircraft on the frequency, whereupon the Speedbird immediately began counting down again........
At TWA we were changing them like underwear and if it wasn't for BA at LHR providing spares TWA/Pan-AM would have been off the Atlantic. We used to fifth pod a lot and it wasn't unusual to drop the fifth pod then turn around and hang it on the aircraft that brought it in because it had lost one inbound.
In 1978 I was told that if P&W did not sell another new engine for ten years, their business would still be bigger than GE strictly on spares sales.
I worked for a guy (now retired) who had a framed copy of a memo from 1970. It was from the president of NWA to the president of PW, highly sarcastic, and complained about the fact that stage 1 HPT blades were lasting only 500 hours.
There are a few other interesting things on the 747 as well, Such as the Sperry SPZ-1 autopilot which was “never designed for that aircraft. It was bolted on, and had to be nursed carefully.” There's also the KSSU+TWA vertical tape style engine instruments.Sources:http://www.pprune.or...y-versions.htmlhttp://www.pprune.or...tml#post3752398"What Exactly Was The Problem With Early JT9D-3's?" - Airliners.net (Avsim does not allow links from Airliners.net)