Sign in to follow this  
oldbear

I'm returning the PMDG 737 NG 600/700 to the store

Gentlemen (using this term losely;))I tend to agree with the basis of this post. SHHHHHHH!!! Let me finish....Yes the DF737 classic is easy to start/fly/land compared to the PMDG.Yes the systems were not anywhere near what PMDG have developed.Yes the FMC is and will be (800/900 release) as close to the real thing as you can get.Yes it does take some time, patience and a little effort on behalf of the user.BUT DON'T DESPAIR - THERE IS SOME HOPE!!!When I first purchased the DF737 (a long time ago now) I read the manual for all of 10 minutes whilst I was in "the library";), and was then able to start up and pushback. When I first purchased the PMDG737 I read most of the manual ;) then followed Fred's Tutorial, which was great for a newcommer to PMDG, by the way, Fred.I printed out this tutorial and practiced it until I could do it without looking for help. I then learnt some more with Tim's advanced tutorials, and, I am still learning. Until I am 737 certified I will not (and very few people here do) know everything there is to know about this sim.Beta testing the 800/900 has opened up even more windows of information. BUT IT IS WELL WORTH IT!!!!I beg you to replace the PMDG panel back into the model and give it a try with the tutorials. You will not be disapointed.I'm sorry to one and all for the long post, but I felt it needed to be said....and to all you knockers out there, remember what it was like when you first started???Maybe Rob, you should place a warning on the packaging:"The PMDG 737NG requires time and effort for maximum enjoyment, however WARNING: THE 737NG IS ADDICTIVE and YOUR WIFE MAY KILL YOU":)Happy FlyingTravis

Guest bawheavy

>2Ghz Processor, min. 512 MB RAM and a Radeon 9600Pro are>required to fly it. I would not go under that specs. my>recomendation.I tend to disagree with this. I'm on a 1.6ghz machine, with a GeForce 2 and 512MB of ram and I still get frame rates around 18 when im in cruise (and around 12 during landing).Happy Flying :DLiam

Guest Ray CYYZ

Us old pros tend to forget what it was like in the early days when we knew nothing ;)I remember installing Precision Simulator's 744 for the first time, opening up the manual and starting to read all 352 pages. Nowhere in the manual did it tell you how to do anything. It just told you how each and every part worked. Along came a tutorial that took this really dry collection of facts and turned it into something that suddenly made sense. Without it (Big thanks to Brian!), I'd still be completely lost.My PS skills allowed me to play with 767PIC without ever even looking at the manual. These same skills carried over to the PMDG 737NG. There are always differences between birds, but the fundimental concepts remain the same. Without a grasp of the concepts, it's like going to pre-ground school days in your Cessna ... "Umm? Press the rudder to stear? why not just turn the wheel?" :-lolThere are now a couple of tutorials for the PMDG bird that do the same thing. They aim at bridging the vast gap between the little puddle jumpers and the real heavies. Without the efforts of these folks converting gobbliegook into beginnerease ;) a lot of us would still be wandering around in C172's.Ray

Well folks:.Thanks to Travis and the rest of you who made constructive comments, I have just about been talked into taking another peek. I'm sure the bird has been significantly upgraded since my last look anyway.Nothing against the plane at all as I was just about to purchase it some months ago, but ran into a hassle of some kind relative to the purchase process. I honestly don't even remember what turned me off at the time and hope it is not there now or at least I don't have the same reaction . Sorry, but I have written off some of the methods required for some purchases. If there is going to be a hassle for my buying henceforth, it will be on the end that is makeing the money, not my end when I am trying to spend it.Thanks for the comments revealing some thought or credible info.RTH

Guest kurtj

I have actually thought of getting the PMDG myself. I would like to learn and while on my days off from work or watching TV at night I could study the manual. I am actually kind of tired of the GPS that fs2004 gives you in some respects. It's easy in some areas but difficult in others because it doesn't operate like the real GPS should. It is only a slim down version of the Garmin.I was wondering once you become proficent using the PMDG panel could you install the FMC in other models like the 757 or 767 MD-80 etc. to use?The reasons I like the GPS is that it does show some area of where I am flying and I could line up to the runway, see other airports but shouldn't that be in the Navigation Arc in real life? Reasons that GPS could be better is that the ETA time changes only when you fly from one segment to another in other words I can't see when I will be at my final destination. I can scroll down with my waypoints but the eta doesn't change. I have read the manual but this but has little insight about this. This is when I created a flight plan using the default flight planner in fs.The time also stays in the same time zone but I have to figure adding or subtracting hours to get my local time for that particular waypoint. GPS could look closer to the FMC as well.Sorry to change the subject but I would like to know some answers. I hope I am not a troll! Any info would be helpful.Thank You,

Guest EISN_CONTROL

Kurt,You wont be able to use the PMDG FMC with any other aircraft. You will howeever be able to use your knowledge of programming the Boeing FMC on any other Boeing aircraft as they are all extremely similar in functionality.Dont hold back on buying this baby, it's up there with PIC767 as a package which cannot be missed!John http://homepage.eircom.net/~eamonnmca/images/logo_ba.JPGwww.bavirtual.co.uk Senior Captain Simflight.com Staff Reviewer

>Us old pros tend to forget what it was like in the early days>when we knew nothing ;)Heck - Remember when Project Freeware put the first REALISTIC FDE's in MSFS planes? All those cries for help and complaints that the plane would never lift off the ground, or climb at 200 ft/min up to 37,000 ft. We had to repeat "RTFM" all the time, and remind them that you can't always take off and land with the tanks 100% full; that you need to set takeoff flaps and trim; that not every plane will climb like an F-16, etc.Give the new guys a break, guys. It's nice to know that there are so many "pros" out there now, but remember what it was like when YOU were a "new guy". :)

BobK

Guest ba747heavy

nm, some things are better left unsaid.

Guest kurtj

Thank you for your info and your opinion about the PMDG. I might consider buying it. I also checked Reality XP but they only had the GNS_530 GPS which I might consider as well over the GPS given in MSFS, but I thought Reality XP is creating a FMS or FMC for panels. I didn't see this though. I did see the weather radar which is cool. Can anyone verify if Reality XP is still planning a Flight Management Computer to do realistic flying in modern commercial jets? I guess I could check there forums but if anyone know in this forum that would be great. Thank you for the info. I would like to put this guage in the rest of my panels if reality XP creates the FMC.

Kurt, if you are trying to make up your mind, I would suggest downloading Tim Metzinger's tutorial from the Avsim library and read through it. That will quickly give you a sense for whether you would enjoy this plane or not. Regarding time zones... most IFR aircraft are operated on standard (Zulu) time and not according to local timezones. BTW, the navigation display does show both airports and waypoints and can be zoomed in and out.. also, it can be set to either Rose or Arc mode so you can see "behind" you if you wish..To do what you want, you have to learn to use the FMC. It takes some time, but can also be fun!

Bert

JerryIf it's any consolation my son just introduced me to the delights of 'Lock On' and I've wasted at least three days of prime FS time trying to get my head round the F-15. If you think the 737NG is complex you should try that thing. It's got a different radar mode for each day of the week. I can see now why most military jets have a bloke in the back. Presumably he's the one who has to remember all the keyboard commands! I gave up and went back to the sedate pleasures of civvy street..Ian (Eject, Eject)

Guest dshluker

I just joined the forum and don't really know yet how to use it. But I saw you mentioned the GPS. Where is the GPS in the 737. I must be really stupid. I can't find anywhere to activate the Garmin. Also I saw that the PMDG has a GPS within the navigation system combined. Is that a separate download? might you know?