Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Just Picked up the X-Aviation DC-3

Got it!!!! Haven't had time to fly it yet, but it sounds great, and looks better. Off now to see if it will get off the ground. :(

As soon as I upgrade my CPU, and purchase the full version of XP10 --- I promise (not an April fools joke) to actually buy the DC-3. IMO, you just can't have too many radial engine planes! In the meantime, rent and watch the John Wayne movie titled...."Island in the Sky", if you don't already have it, as I do..L.Adamson

It gets off the ground OK, and best of all it gets back on the ground too. The first landing?(Do you really want to call this a landing)? I only bounced 3 times then nosed over, way too much brake, and not enough back pressure on the yoke, other than that, well...I had to reload. Second time around much better, careful, careful, careful on the brakes!

Yup, Island in the Sky is a classic and a must have if you like DC-3s, although if anyone who does not have it is going to buy it on DVD, look out for the super-duper recent version which comes with a lot of extras, documentaries and that sort of stuff; it is the version to have, especially since the film is also remastered with that one.As for flying the X-Aviation version, it is very nice. On take off, it requires a fair bit of nose down trim to emulate a reasonably realistic roll. It needs some good engine and prop management to get the best out of it, and to get it up to 10,000 feet with any sort of useful load on board, it is a case of juggling cowl flaps, throttle, props, carb heat and watching the temp gauges, which of course means that it is a fairly realistic representation of the venerable old bird. Just about to post some piccies of it in the screenie gallery when I was testing it out up to 10,000 feet in fact.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think I saw that movie way back as a kid, but honestly dont remember much about it. Im surprised Ive never really seen it, as I like movies like that. Ill order it online.Rob

It gets off the ground OK, and best of all it gets back on the ground too. The first landing?(Do you really want to call this a landing)? I only bounced 3 times then nosed over, way too much brake, and not enough back pressure on the yoke, other than that, well...I had to reload. Second time around much better, careful, careful, careful on the brakes!
Ive never flown a real taildragger, but I guess this is a common mistake for pilots new to it.

Yup, gotta let the thing roll out and brake gently in taildraggers. Nosing over isn't the only danger either, there's a big risk of ground-looping too if you get clumsy. I have done that once when landing on a grass field, but I was rolling to a stop when it happened, so nothing was dented other than my pride, although I must admit, I thought it looked sort of showy, in a Biggles kind of way LOL.

I think I saw that movie way back as a kid, but honestly dont remember much about it. Im surprised Ive never really seen it, as I like movies like that. Ill order it online.Rob
If I tell you the premise, you'll remember it: John Wayne, and numerous other Hollywood stalwarts of the day are DC-3 crews flying over Labrador to keep a supply air bridge open, one of their aircraft goes down in the frozen wastes when a long way off course, and the crew struggle to survive whilst their fellow DC-3 pilots mount a race against time search to find them in vast expanse of territory, Will they find them? Watch the movie and find out. It's a classic, written by Ernest K Gann, thus authenticity is its hallmark. About the only better film of its type is the original version of Flight of the Phoenix with Jimmy Stewart et all. Avoid the sacriligeous remake with Dennis Quaid at all costs, Stewart, being a genuine B-24 pilot, knew how to play the role in a properly understated fashion.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just a heads up...it was originally intended to be a full on tail dragger, however, quite literally at the last minute, we decided to make it a steerable aircraft because it is quite hard to steer using toe brakes and individual engine thrust.Depending on customer response, I may release another flight model with the tail dragger effects (ground-looping) included. ORI might write up a set of instructions on how to do it yourself. It's not really that difficult to change.EDIT: For the brave ones...instructions on turning it into a true tail-dragger.http://forums.x-pilo...e-tail-dragger/

Guest bstolle
On take off, it requires a fair bit of nose down trim to emulate a reasonably realistic roll.
Why is that? AFAIK the DC-3 doesn't have a moveable stabilizer, so elevator trim shouldn't have any impact on the elevator effectiveness.Nevertheless it looks like I definitely need this DC-3 ASAP.My father became captain on the DC-3 almost exactly 50 years ago, so I still do have all the manuals (and a soft spot) for her of course....

Yes, beautiful but I already have some for FSX, hence I might not buy this one.

I must say once more that this bird looks awesome. Good job Goran!I will say here that this is going to be the first aircraft addon that I will buy for XP10.Now what I REALLY need is a nice rendition of EDDI for XP10.

Thanks Tom!I appreciate your comments!Hopefully, we'll see you flying the x plane skies very soon. :(

Just got all excited and realised it's the Xplane forum :(

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776