Sign in to follow this  
Daniel choen

32bit vs 64 bit

thanks David, but i have all of my addons there, should i uninstall everything and reinstall? it will take at lease 2 days or more, and it's really frustrating. thanks

Daniel,

I TOTALLY feel your pain about the reinstall! When I did it I had of course FSX Sp1 and two, FS2Crew, AS2012, UT2, FSUIPC, PMDG NGX, and its Sp's and three or Four scenery airports... It takes a while to do, especially when you have to find/redownload licenses and key files! :(

But FSX performance is never a quantum leap thing, even if you buy a new computer two generations newer sometimes... Its always incremental steps, and no one that has blazing FSX performance did it with 2 or 3 things; they typically get it with 30 or 40 little things, of which optimal installation is the key! :)

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO
System: Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2, Intel I9-13900KS Watercooled, Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Motherboard, 32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600, ASUS RTX 4090 OC Edition, 4Tb NVME m.2 Array (2Tb x 2), Aorus FV43U 43" Display (144Mhz), Corsair Ax1600i powersupply, Marvel AQC107 10Gb Network adaptor, Comcast 1Gb Internet Service, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case 7x140mm, 4x120mm cooling fans.

mine is installed in the program files(86x) is that bad?

Ever since i switched to W7-64bit and installed FSX onto my second drive as follows: E:\FSX, I have not had one OOM error or crash when flying any aircraft in FSX, including NGX since i first installed it.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I installed mine where most of people must have installed: C:\FSX.

well, i have two, C, D so my C has 97GB and my D has 833gGB, do you still recommend to install there? and also is that really important? will it improve the performence will help to get less errors and stuff? cause i really don't want to do this, it takes so much time and mood. thanks again, Daniel.

Daniel;

I read about "where to install" in the PMDG website. Since I took the FSX from the Program Files, I did not experience more problems. But I can not say that it is ESSENTIAL to the success of FSX, especially because this is not my specialty. I'm a dentist, and "FSX Pilot" only on weekends.

But what I can give you as a witness, is that for me it was worth making the switch from Program Files to C:\.

In your case I would install it in D, space is never enough. But wait for the experts. That's why I love this forum.

Best regards

Cristiano Mueller

Thanks for your help, and please experts, help me with that one i don't want to waste any time. if i need to do it i'll do, but if i don't really need please, help(:.

I'm on Win7/64, installed to the default folder. I have UAC turned off and have no problems with FSX/ORBX/REX/NGX running concurrently etc.etc. I have noticed it takes the sim a few seconds to paint the VC as the flight starts, but there's a 17-18 second "systems initializing" wait anyhow.

Win7/64 definitely the way to go, I have 8GB of ram and the machine is usually consuming at least 4GB with the additional programs I have running while flying the NGX.

Thanks for your help, and please experts, help me with that one i don't want to waste any time. if i need to do it i'll do, but if i don't really need please, help(:.

Although up to date computers now deal with multiple drives with far more efficiency than in the past, the reasoning behind installing FSX on a seperate drive that does NOT have the operating system is because the operating system will often have to access parts of well, the operating system :) on that drive, probably during a moment where you're right in the middle of needing that Aerosoft KSFO texture list to load on the approach :) It's less of an issue than it was 5 years ago because of advances in drive management and protocols (not to mention the speed of drives and technology) but still again, a small probably incremental improvement that doesn "hurt" performance :)

The optimal situation? Go out and get a decent SSD drive :) and dedicated it to FSX They can be had for cheap these days if you get a 32 or 64 gig... and that should be plenty for FSX and every addon you could imagine... write speeds can "sometimes" be outdone by very expensive high rpm Sata3 drives, but nothing reads faster than an SSD, even a slow one :) and while you're playing FSX its all about the read access speeds :)

In addition they are VERY small and generate next to no heat, if those things are an issue they are very nice to have, and even if you don't have space or heat issues :)

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO
System: Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2, Intel I9-13900KS Watercooled, Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Motherboard, 32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600, ASUS RTX 4090 OC Edition, 4Tb NVME m.2 Array (2Tb x 2), Aorus FV43U 43" Display (144Mhz), Corsair Ax1600i powersupply, Marvel AQC107 10Gb Network adaptor, Comcast 1Gb Internet Service, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case 7x140mm, 4x120mm cooling fans.

Daniel. Install it 0n the drive that does not have your O/S on it.

Works for me.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Daniel. Install it 0n the drive that does not have your O/S on it.

Works for me.

Regards,

Although up to date computers now deal with multiple drives with far more efficiency than in the past, the reasoning behind installing FSX on a seperate drive that does NOT have the operating system is because the operating system will often have to access parts of well, the operating system :) on that drive, probably during a moment where you're right in the middle of needing that Aerosoft KSFO texture list to load on the approach :) It's less of an issue than it was 5 years ago because of advances in drive management and protocols (not to mention the speed of drives and technology) but still again, a small probably incremental improvement that doesn "hurt" performance :)

The optimal situation? Go out and get a decent SSD drive :) and dedicated it to FSX They can be had for cheap these days if you get a 32 or 64 gig... and that should be plenty for FSX and every addon you could imagine... write speeds can "sometimes" be outdone by very expensive high rpm Sata3 drives, but nothing reads faster than an SSD, even a slow one :) and while you're playing FSX its all about the read access speeds :)

In addition they are VERY small and generate next to no heat, if those things are an issue they are very nice to have, and even if you don't have space or heat issues :)

thanks both, it's really is a big deal to start all over again, with the license and what so ever, and it can be really frustrating, if that is not that big deal i can live with that. thanks again.

oh, can i just simply move it to D?

Hi guys,

For a couple of years now I have installed my sims (both, FSX and FS9 - the latter will be erased soon) on a separate drive and the same with all add-ons for weather, navigation, airport design etc. However, I think it would be quite easy just to copy and paste all that stuff to an other drive without the installation trouble. I would save and copy everything first, then de-install the sim. If there is a lot of useless old stuff in your FS installation the a new build is recommended. If it is a grown but well maintained system then I always would recommend the "copy method". Don't forget to change the user rights from the restricted ones to something comparable to normal data files on an extra drive.

When building a new system e.g. with a new OS installation, I'm saving what is stored on the system drive - FSX is quite distributed somehow. Then I'm firing up the sim and normally it installs itself. At least it builds up a new fsx.cfg and that's the moment to copy over the saved files (after closing the sim again, of course), that's it. You have to re-install your most complex add-ons because of their copy protection mechanisms but normally there is no problem with scenery, mesh, extra airports and so on. After running the sim again it will likely ask your permission to

Once I even used a registry editor having the capability to change paths within the registry. It really worked - with the already mentioned exceptions - it is, however, not necessary. If any add-on does not find your sim anymore you even may want to use a little free tool offered by 'Flight 1'. It's called "F1 FS_Registry_Repair (FS9 & FSX).exe".

A last word: I do not believe that OOMs have anything to do with the drive where the sim is installed. The memory management will remain absolutely the same. OOMs are caused by a lack of virtual memory due to the extensive use of demanding graphics (e.g. provided by REX and AS2012), highest details together with the most complex simulation object up to now, PMDG's NGX. I got rid of them the moment I reduced AS2012 to 2048 bit graphics in their compressed version.

Regards,
Axel

thanks for the beautiful reply, i have never gotten those errors, and i have never mentioned that i got one, i only got a fatal error, which has nothing to do with it, do you recommend to backup everything? i mean to do a copy pase initially from C:/program files (86x) to D/FSX? thanks!!

oh and if i got you right, you recommend to do a repair after moving it to another place? thanks again mate.

i mean to do a copy pase initially from C:/program files (86x) to D/FSX? thanks!!.

Don't do that!! There are literally hundreds of registry entries depending on the location of those files. If you're really set on moving it you should properly uninstall and reinstall.

Don't do that!! There are literally hundreds of registry entries depending on the location of those files. If you're really set on moving it you should properly uninstall and reinstall.

+1. A nice clean install is always worth the time.

Rick Hobbs