Sign in to follow this  
Daniel choen

32bit vs 64 bit

Hey,

is there any big different in the performence between the 64bit and the 32 bit? thanks in advance.

The main difference for me was that when the NGX was released, I had a 32bit system. I got tired of having OOM errors, and those "freezes" pre SP1.

After I moved to a 64bit system, never had this problem again. And I changed well before SP1.

I don't regret having changed. B)

Best regards

Cristiano Mueller

thanks for the reply, i am thinking about getting a 64 bit, i am getting sometimes when doing a long haul flights a fatal error, are you aware with it? thanks again

Daniel;

I had error problems during the flight with the MD11, using Windows 7 64 bit. Then I switched to XP 32bit, and never had this problem.

Then the NGX was released, and I had OOM errors in droves.

That's when I came back to 64bit, but not for the W7, but for Vista 64bit. I don't know what is to stop a flight because of error for a long time.

Best regards

Cristiano Mueller

Daniel;

I had error problems during the flight with the MD11, using Windows 7 64 bit. Then I switched to XP 32bit, and never had this problem.

Then the NGX was released, and I had OOM errors in droves.

That's when I came back to 64bit, but not for the W7, but for Vista 64bit. I don't know what is to stop a flight because of error for a long time.

OK, thanks Cristiano(:

FSX works significantly better in Windows 7 64bit, than any other operating system ( ie XP 32 bit, Vista 32 or 64)

PROVIDED

You install FSX as recommended ( *non-standard Program install). Have appropriate amount of Ram, and appropraite Video card etc etc.

* i.e, In say D:/FSX ( Not your OS drive - and not in default "Program files (x86)" folder )

If you are considering a new computer, or an OS update, it's really a NO BRAINER to go with Windows 7 64bit.

Plenty of info on this, all over the FS many FS forums, including this one.

Yep, 64 bit is the way to go if your building a new rig or upgrading. ALthough, i've been running FSX on WinXP 32bit with 2GB RAM for going on 4 years now and never had any crashes or OOM errors, even after 8+ hour flights in the PMDG 747, NGX, or LDS-767. I actually leave FSX running with the NGX parked for as long as 2 weeks that way when I land I can park and not have to start FSX before I do my next route and never had a crash. Guess it just depends on the system, setup, and what else you are doing on the rig while FSX is running.

If I was going to do a new build now I would definitaly go with a 64bit system though so you can take advantage of more RAM.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

i just figured that i have a 64bit OS, so why am i getting struggle to close fsx, or fatal error, after 4 hours of flights? thanks in advance!

One of the big advantages with the NGX is that it has its own Executable. Windows 7 x64 has the advantage here because setting all .exe's that you use (including such things as ActiveSkies, REX etc) to run as administrator allows them to operate in their own memory space, freeing up RAM for FSX...

That's assuming you've got at least 6GB RAM, which if you have Win7 x64 you'd be daft not to :D

I didn't really get my answer from this, is that minimized errors? thanks.

My understanding (from the tech guys at work) is that Windows monitors the Program Files directory (both x86 and non) in ways it does not monitor non Windows default directories. This, for things like indexing, permissions, security, and restore data specific to Windows. It's very much like having virus detection turned on on your computer only for certain directories, and it impacts files accessed in those directories with overhead that files outside those directories don't experience.

One thing I noticed immediately after installing in a non windows directory was that loading times of the VC cockpit went to virtually zero, compared to having to watch it "draw itself" previously.

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO
System: Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2, Intel I9-13900KS Watercooled, Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Motherboard, 32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600, ASUS RTX 4090 OC Edition, 4Tb NVME m.2 Array (2Tb x 2), Aorus FV43U 43" Display (144Mhz), Corsair Ax1600i powersupply, Marvel AQC107 10Gb Network adaptor, Comcast 1Gb Internet Service, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case 7x140mm, 4x120mm cooling fans.

My understanding (from the tech guys at work) is that Windows monitors the Program Files directory (both x86 and non) in ways it does not monitor non Windows default directories. This, for things like indexing, permissions, security, and restore data specific to Windows. It's very much like having virus detection turned on on your computer only for certain directories, and it impacts files accessed in those directories with overhead that files outside those directories don't experience.

One thing I noticed immediately after installing in a non windows directory was that loading times of the VC cockpit went to virtually zero, compared to having to watch it "draw itself" previously.

thanks David, but i have all of my addons there, should i uninstall everything and reinstall? it will take at lease 2 days or more, and it's really frustrating. thanks

thanks David, but i have all of my addons there, should i uninstall everything and reinstall? it will take at lease 2 days or more, and it's really frustrating. thanks

No pain -- No gain ...

Welcome to the real world !!