Sign in to follow this  
Stick

Simcheck A300: my pimped version, with ISG FMS and ND

Hi all,

I thought I'd share with you my latest Avionics upgrade; :smile:

I absolutely LOVE the Simcheck A300, it's such a fantasticly immersive add-on airliner. But being an old school 70s airliner, it uses an INS and analogue gauges, with no moving map type displays. Of course, generally the 'old school' appeal is what I love about this add-on but there are occasions when it would also be nice to have a 'modernized' version of the A300 as in the real world, most A300s that are still flying, have CDUs and NDs connected to retrofitted GPS systems, with the original INS still on board but used only as a back-up for GPS failure.

So with this in mind, I decided to use my excellent ISG gauge set, and put a couple of new gauges into the A300. I wasn't sure how this would function because the A300 uses a lot of non-FSX custom gauges and functions, eg. the Heading control is custom, and although it is assignable to keys using a custom key assignment app that comes with the plane, it's not using default heading control, so I was pessimistic as to whether the ISG kit would be able to command the A300s Heading control to navigate to route in the FMS.

I needn't have worried - everything works flawlessly: You do have to leave the A300 in Heading mode (rather than NAV), but you then select the ISG's own 'LNAV' button, and the A300 flies your new RNAV standard route. B).

The reason I did not upgrade the A300's analogue ADI is because (i) I really like it!, and (ii) it's custom, and the ISG's flight director could not read the custom A300's commands. But the combination of the custom analogue ADI and the glass ND is really nice. Anyway, enough waffle, here we go :-

New ND gauge integrated into Virtual Cockpit (replacing original HSI gauge). Also showing the new "LNAV" button on the right :-

a300_n10.jpg

a300_n11.jpg

New Pop-ups for the Smiths FMS, and the EFIS Controller. (There was no 'real estate' left in the VC to place the FMS, so it has to be used as a pop-up. But it's easier to input this way :smile: :-

a300_n12.jpg

I am in absolute airliner heaven with this set-up now. Two brilliant products that work so well together. I can now fly on-line, and can now make "Direct To" waypoint commands, and do so much more. Fedex have some A300s with a set-up much like this, as do DHL, and Monarch (a UK Charter airline) operated a modernized A300-200 like this, on busy holiday charter flights to Florida for many years. But I'm not sure if they are still operating it in 2012.

Thanks.

Cool. You can do direct-to with the INS as well. You should upload your panel edits to the ISG website/forum.

Nice. The ISG package is great. I have them installed in everything that doesnt come with a real FMC or has a lite FMC.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Been using this setup with the Simcheck for over a yr now I'm guessing. I still, on occasion, get a scenerio where the LNAV will not couple. Not all the time, its wierd. Using the server gauge in HDG mode. Simcheck doesnt use a normal FS HDG SDK mode so strange things can occur. Ernie suggested installing a default HDG button for reliability.

If there are some simcheck server gauges in the panel.cfg you can just rem them out and that might help. I don't have the Simcheck AB but I had to do that with an updated set of the Just Flight 737's I modernised a little.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Cheers.

Not had any issues yet; with the ISG Server gauge included in the VC (it's an invisible gauge that allows ISG to command the aircraft's heading, for those not aware), I've had no problems and it's commanding the heading great so far.

Just about to fly Manchester to Florida, so that should give it a good long test!

:smile:

FedEx has 306's. Too bad there are no good high fidelity 306 addons. There are a handful of European and Asian B4 operators though. MNG Cargo, Qatar, European Air Transport, Monarch, Iran Air, Air Contractors, Egyptair Cargo.

That's very nice. Do share your settings with us by uploading it to ISG.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

looks pretty nice... i guess it will tide you over until Simcheck finishes their FMS upgrade model

apparently the programming for the FMS is done but the VC needs more work

http://twitter.com/#...195782380785665

Exactly! ......... can't wait for the proper FMS-armed model. But this 'pimp' is working great in the meantime. :smile:

FYI Simcheck's Bjorn Comhaire is making a A300-600 which will be released later this year.

Source:

http://asn.aerosoft.com/?page_id=6855 (Bottom left)

Cool! .... A -600 will be nice, with newer Avionics to enjoy B)

That's very nice. Do share your settings with us by uploading it to ISG.

Lee

I'd be happy to, but I'm not sure what I'd share? - I just used FS Panel Studio to make all the changes. Took less than 5 mins. :smile: But I'll take a look at the ISG site whe I get a min, and happy to share the panel.cfg there, if that's how it's done. B)

FYI Simcheck's Bjorn Comhaire is making a A300-600 which will be released later this year.

Source:

http://asn.aerosoft.com/?page_id=6855 (Bottom left)

That's not true unfortunately :sad:

http://forums.flight...sive-interview/

Simcheck A300-600? Thats a new one! I only thought he was making the FMC upgrade. Nice to hear

Oops-

that's my bad - I meant to say he's doing an FMC upgrade and got too happy...

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Ah! Shame it's not a A300-600 but still nice that we are getting a FMC for the B4. B)