Sign in to follow this  
fzike

Maybe I need a new PC?

I'm a novice at all of this but enjoy it thoroughly especially with the new PMDG NGX. I'm not experiencing obvious frame rate issues but I am having FSX freeze up during flight and Windows forcing the program to close down. I have a relatively old CPU (Intel Core 2 2.4 Ghz with 6GB DDR, NVidea 8800GTS, Windows7 64 bit). I'm trying to run the NGX with REX, UT2, FS2 Crew, Radar Contact, Accu-Feel and some Orbx and Extreme scenery.

So my questions are:

1. I assume the FSX freeze ups are due to high CPU usage rather than any software compatibility issues?
  2. If I need to upgrade my CPU, what would be your recommendations regarding configuration? I'd rather not go the gaming PC route due to the expense, but I DO want to enjoy the best flight simulator experience that I can with a "conventional" CPU that will also be used for email, MS Office and the usual mundane tasks at home.
  3. I don't see myself getting into overclocking but would certainly go the i7 route just in case. Any input on the subject would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for you advice!!

Fred Ziker

i7-13700k, Gigabyte Aorus Master Z790, 32gb DDR5-6400, GeForce RTX3080Ti, Noctua NH-D15 Chromax CPU cooler, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD

recommend i5 2500K processor 4GB Ram should be enough z68 mobo

Graphic card you have should be enough for basic stuff,but for what you want,you may need to upgrade to a 460GTX or better

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

" I'm trying to run the NGX with REX, UT2, FS2 Crew, Radar Contact, Accu-Feel and some Orbx and Extreme scenery."

I'm not sure that you don't have compatibility issues to be honest.

If you want to upgrade your CPU, you will need a new motherboard and memory.

Unfortunately the old 8800GTS would be a complete botlleneck in a new system.

Bert Van Bulck

Yes, you'd be looking at a whole new computer whether you build one or buy it. You can get far better performance building a sandy bridge (or the upcoming ivy) for a lower cost than any prebuilt "gaming" computer.

It may be worth your while to wait a bit however, as once ivy & the GTX6xx cards are available the prices on sandy cpu's and 5xx cards will go down.

If you're interested in building a pc yourself (very simple nowadays) there are literally dozens of good topics here in the pmdg general & ngx forums about parts selection.

I'm a novice at all of this but enjoy it thoroughly especially with the new PMDG NGX. I'm not experiencing obvious frame rate issues but I am having FSX freeze up during flight and Windows forcing the program to close down. I have a relatively old CPU (Intel Core 2 2.4 Ghz with 6GB DDR, NVidea 8800GTS, Windows7 64 bit). I'm trying to run the NGX with REX, UT2, FS2 Crew, Radar Contact, Accu-Feel and some Orbx and Extreme scenery.

So my questions are:

1. I assume the FSX freeze ups are due to high CPU usage rather than any software compatibility issues?
  2. If I need to upgrade my CPU, what would be your recommendations regarding configuration? I'd rather not go the gaming PC route due to the expense, but I DO want to enjoy the best flight simulator experience that I can with a "conventional" CPU that will also be used for email, MS Office and the usual mundane tasks at home.
  3. I don't see myself getting into overclocking but would certainly go the i7 route just in case. Any input on the subject would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for you advice!!

where are you are you getting the ctds since your using orbox and i was getting the ctds every time at pnw canada when using fscrew2 as well found out this is a known problem at the ftx forum . Than some one at fscrew2 posted the solution which was to remove 2 files from the nrm ntx orbox folder and now i free of ctds

, they know about this and it will be fixed in a SP you have to remove these two files from the orbx NRM folder

cvx_300_FTX_NRM_LCpoly_1712_Edmonton_cutblocks.BGL

cvx_300_FTX_NRM_LCpoly_1613_Jasper_cutblocks.BGL

so if you got the orbox pnw sceneries this could help you or anyone else that has ctds in the pnw areas

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thanks to all for your replies!

I've learned a lot already! I didn't know about Ivy and I didn't know what a CTDS was but now I do!

Also didn't know about the compatibility issue with FS2 Crew and Orbx but that isn't the cause of my CTD. I was doing a Gulf Coast US shuttle from KIAH to KMSY. I know this sounds bizarre but it most often occurs just before TD on no particular route; sometimes FSX just goes into pause mode and I can continue the flight, then sometimes CTDS.

I'm not sure if I can determine whether it's a software incompatibility or my CPU is just out of gas but I think I'll disable one software at a time and fly the route and try to sleuth it out that way. In the meantime, I've started shopping custom PC builders and exploring perhaps building one on my own thanks to you all.

f

Fred Ziker

i7-13700k, Gigabyte Aorus Master Z790, 32gb DDR5-6400, GeForce RTX3080Ti, Noctua NH-D15 Chromax CPU cooler, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD

I would reckon to say it is not the CPU that is the cause of your CTD's. That would be the last place I would look. Look into software compat and then video card after that.

o2

Thanks to all for your replies!

I've learned a lot already! I didn't know about Ivy and I didn't know what a CTDS was but now I do!

Also didn't know about the compatibility issue with FS2 Crew and Orbx but that isn't the cause of my CTD. I was doing a Gulf Coast US shuttle from KIAH to KMSY. I know this sounds bizarre but it most often occurs just before TD on no particular route; sometimes FSX just goes into pause mode and I can continue the flight, then sometimes CTDS.

I'm not sure if I can determine whether it's a software incompatibility or my CPU is just out of gas but I think I'll disable one software at a time and fly the route and try to sleuth it out that way. In the meantime, I've started shopping custom PC builders and exploring perhaps building one on my own thanks to you all.

f

What orbox sceneries have you got if you got any of the usa and canada packs than i say that be the suspect i be checking them first before anything else. cause the last time i had a ctd was between kjfk and flying to klas since the removal of those 2 files havnt had any as of yet

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Peter, thanks for your input on my issue and the potential of it being related to Orbx scenery files. I have checked and do not have either of the files you mentioned (cvx_300_FTX_NRM_LCpoly_1712_Edmonton_cutblocks.BGL, cvx_300_FTX_NRM_LCpoly_1613_Jasper_cutblocks.BGL). I currently have PNW and CRM from Orbx.

I found a thread related to replacing a UIAutomationCore.dll file in the FSX core and have tried this. I tried the flight again and FSX went into an involuntary pause just before TOD but I was able to press P and continue through landing and shutdown (no CTD).

I'll keep playing with this as I suspect everyone is right in that it is not the CPU.

fred ziker

Fred Ziker

Peter, thanks for your input on my issue and the potential of it being related to Orbx scenery files. I have checked and do not have either of the files you mentioned (cvx_300_FTX_NRM_LCpoly_1712_Edmonton_cutblocks.BGL, cvx_300_FTX_NRM_LCpoly_1613_Jasper_cutblocks.BGL). I currently have PNW and CRM from Orbx.

I found a thread related to replacing a UIAutomationCore.dll file in the FSX core and have tried this. I tried the flight again and FSX went into an involuntary pause just before TOD but I was able to press P and continue through landing and shutdown (no CTD).

I'll keep playing with this as I suspect everyone is right in that it is not the CPU.

fred ziker

Ok i got pnw as well and also the nrm so the files that are mentioned are in the ftx_na folder in your orbox folder so you havnt got the canada senery at all than. it be a conflict with orbox scenery somewhere. Have you tried to deselect the orbox scenery to use the standard fsx scenery at all

Peter kelberg

If you don't want to spend money (or almost none), buy a good CPU fan and overclock. I ran my E6600 at 3,3 GHz for years (stok @ 2,4 GHz) without a problem. The improvement in FPS is linear.

Bert Van Bulck

Have you checked what your Hard Drive is doing during your "Freeze"? I had issues with freezes (Whole system locks up, mouse cursor delayed or entirely gone, unable to change windows or open or shut programs.) Turns out my Hard Drive was running 100% active time and pushing out a whapping 0bps and System files having 60,000ms or more read/write delays from the HDD.

After 1 to 25 minutes at random, everything would un-freeze, leaving no textures on scenery for about 5 mins while it slowly loaded up.

Typically happened on final approach below 200ft to an Orbx airport in the NGX, with a second, usually shorter, freeze somewhere between 50ft and 5ft.

Trent Hopkinson

I several FSX crashes when I started flying the 737NGX. I'd had no such problems flying the PMDG JS41 as my previous must-fly aircraft under Windows 7 64 bit.

I found references to this dll - UIAutomationCore.dll & FSX. It transpires it can be a factor when you are repeatedly switching views. In the bigger VC in the 737 I'm doing this much more often than in the rather cosier JS41, where panning around the VC was a much more practical proposition.

You may like to research it yourself before you start spending on new computers or throwing out valuable add-ons. I haven't had a single CTD since I did what the various learned articles suggest.

ngxu_banner.png

Thanks to all for your interest and inputs! I have made a couple of changes and haven't had a CTD since:

I made the changes described in the thread related to UIAutomationCore.dll, and I applied patch 5 to Orbx PNW.

I even flew into the "Bermuda triangle" (KSEA) without incident.

As many of you speculated, my issue was more of a software incompatibility rather than a CPU limitation (although more horsepower would probably help!). I now suspect the primary culprit of my FSX pause and CTD issues are related to REX 2.0 trying to perform a weather update at or near TOD or approach which in my case caused more than a loss of FPS or stuttering problem.

Thanks again

fred ziker

Fred Ziker

My best suggestion: Built a Sanby Bridge (or better) + 4GB (or better) + GTX 460 (or better) OR build nothing. You can end up buying a better pc, which will after a few weeks, once again not satisfy you.

I went from a similar system as yours to this, and my performance got pretty much tripled!

Also DO NOT buy a pre-assembled PC like Dell, HP or Acer. They are good yes. But they will charge so much extra money, while you can built similar systems yourself and probably save a lot of money!

At stock CPU speed an i5 2500K / 2600K / 2700K (which perform all the same in FSX btw) will not be enough for good FPS. It's very important to overclock to gain the best performance. If you have a aftermarket cooler, and if you don't exceed 1.4 Volts, than it's pretty much impossible to damage your PC by overclocking so don't be afraid of that. There are plenty of good tutorial on the net on how to overclock. It might not seem easy, but after a while it's much easier than you thought. I was in the same situation as you a few months ago, I was a PC novice, didn't know anything about overclocking or building my own PC. And now it's very easy for me to do both! So watch some tutorials!