Sign in to follow this  
Pascal

OUTERRA will be our new flightsim platform in the future, because...

I think it's very easy to dismiss this very interesting platform at this stage, simply because it's in it's infancy. Of course there are issues, as there was no doubt with FS several years before it's release. As today's concept car very soon becomes tomorrow's family saloon :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

If this platform isn't gonna change, I think we can rule it out. Because as Ryan says, it's got a randomized scenery system, and therefore the scenery is not accurate compared to real life. And I don't believe it will feature 25000 airports. It seems that the developers nowadays are getting so lazy. I really can't understand it, why could Microsoft make 25000 airports in 2006, and now, 6 years later, with very advanced technology, the developers even stuggle making several tens of them?

because its just not that easy as you might think it is. you need data to automatically compute all the airport around the world and that data is not cheap or you need manpower to do it by hand.

as far as i could see, the sim seems to be a good one. if its possible to convert scenery,aircraft and addons i might give it a try (as i usually do not land on default airports)

Well, ATC and AI does not matter to me, as I only fly online, but the lack of airports / scenery is of course a big problem. I'm also interested in if its possible for developers to build their own modules for this sim, so they can model advanced systems.

it's got a randomized scenery system, and therefore the scenery is not accurate compared to real life.

You are seriously misinterpreting the facts. It is no more random than FS is, most definitely...

The engine gets its basic dataset from real sources, such as SRTM terrain mesh, Blue Marble biome data, OSM road database (much more comprehensive than FS road system... maybe comparable to UT, if that), perspectively airport information, etc.

The "Random" factor is in what to do with this data, how to fill in the blanks... E.g. you know where the forest is, now, how to distribute trees? Oterra uses a statistical model to determine realistic distribution of trees in said forest (or where patches of grass on deserts are... and so on) - this is "random". but no more random than FSX distributing the autogen evenly to create an illustion.

Now, compare it to orbx... I for one have never flown over Washington, Oregon, or so. For all I know, ORBX might have placed all the stuff randomly and I would never notice that there is not supposed to be that ravine on Vashon Island... But it is all very believable illusion. Outerra "randomness" works basically the same. You may know position of every tree in St James Park, and you may take a helicopter and go count them in-sim and it will NOT be the same, but for majority of people they will look at (not quite) randomly placed trees, and go "yeah the park totally can look like that, nothing wrong with it, nothing illogical. And they couldnt care less about if the third tree from the bridge is placed in correct distance from the shore.

It seems that the developers nowadays are getting so lazy. I really can't understand it, why could Microsoft make 25000 airports in 2006, and now, 6 years later, with very advanced technology, the developers even stuggle making several tens of them?

a) have you looked at a default airport lately?

B) do you realise that you are talking about MS, at one time a biggest company in the world? While Outerra is two guys in an apartment block somewhere in Bratislava. Sure it can be done, once you have the data, only to get the data you need a budget and a good looking return on investment... once you know where all the runways and taxiways are, it is all but a question of throwing around some random buildings, FS style...

If this platform isn't gonna change, I think we can rule it out. Because as Ryan says, it's got a randomized scenery system, and therefore the scenery is not accurate compared to real life. And I don't believe it will feature 25000 airports. It seems that the developers nowadays are getting so lazy. I really can't understand it, why could Microsoft make 25000 airports in 2006, and now, 6 years later, with very advanced technology, the developers even stuggle making several tens of them?

Seriously, lazy? Are you out of your mind? These guys are writing a planetary simulation FROM SCRATCH. Two guys. Lets see you do that, and then comment on how lazy they are.

Scott

Outerra looks really nice as far as I am concerned, and the technology is seriously impressive. Whether it is ever used as the base for a flight simulator or not isn't really that important. What is important is that the Outerra engine could be used to create games that allow seamless transition from orbit to ground level, and enable the user to explore entire planets! I would love to be able to wander around vast, believable landscapes, and watch the waves of a realistic sea roll up to the shoreline. No boundaries to the world, and the freedom to go from one location to another via any path that you desire. Wonderful stuff.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Outerra looks really nice as far as I am concerned, and the technology is seriously impressive. Whether it is ever used as the base for a flight simulator or not isn't really that important. What is important is that the Outerra engine could be used to create games that allow seamless transition from orbit to ground level, and enable the user to explore entire planets! I would love to be able to wander around vast, believable landscapes, and watch the waves of a realistic sea roll up to the shoreline. No boundaries to the world, and the freedom to go from one location to another via any path that you desire. Wonderful stuff.

I Agree Chris, IMO the platform has some real potential. If you look at soime of the Youtube vids, they are unbelievable!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776