Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

What boards don't have boot loop issues?

Cause I'm getting annoyed with my P67 argh! I usually get a boot loop every two months now...

Do the new Z77's exhibit this behavior?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The Z77's are still pretty new and I haven't seen anything on others forums about it.

Are you running PLL Overvoltage enabled or disabled?

With your low OC you should be able to disable it and that has helped some P67/Z68 users end the double booting.

Or you can wait for a BIOS fix. The double boot issue has been on all major manu's P67/Z68 boards (Asus, GA, Asrock) except MSI. At least I couldn't find a forum post on the major sites like OCN, OCC, TT or HardForums mentioning any MSI's.

Cause I'm getting annoyed with my P67 argh! I usually get a boot loop every two months now...

Do the new Z77's exhibit this behavior?

Hi,

no problems at all (so far) with the Z77. I was equally annoyed with my P8P67 (which sometimes started normally but more often had to be restarted 5 times) so I bought the Z77 yesterday.

The P67 chipset is well known for this issue and the workarounds/recommendations don't seem to help a lot.

Robert

Hi,

no problems at all (so far) with the Z77. I was equally annoyed with my P8P67 (which sometimes started normally but more often had to be restarted 5 times) so I bought the Z77 yesterday.

The P67 chipset is well known for this issue and the workarounds/recommendations don't seem to help a lot.

Robert

Does this mean a complete re-install of the operating system?

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Does this mean a complete re-install of the operating system?

No, just run the startup repair from the Win7 disc and install the necessary drivers (chipset etc). I wouldn't do a complete re-install as long as everything is running fine.

The P67 Z68 has a fundamental design flaw in the chipset (SATA related) that was never fixed even after the initial recall of the boards when they first came out a couple of years ago. A BIOS update is never going to be able to fix it, it rather pointless, its like polishing a xxxxx, you can do it (Mythbusters rule!!) but it's pointless. You can't even put a Z68 into standby mode as the PCIE slots don't reinitialise properly when you come out of standby and the only way to get the slot working again is to power off the PSU for 10 seconds otherwise the thing wont POST.

This ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z board is THE most expensive piece of crap I have ever owned. The board I had before that was a Rampage Formula (a step down from the previous Extreme board for the i7 9**) was the exact polar opposite and was the best board I have ever owned and was rock solid and it still is at 3.5 years old running at 4Ghz, my brother has it now the lucky sod.

Cheers, Andy.

I have a Asus Z68 board that is collecting dust. I had double boot issues and replaced it with my current MSI and have been happy ever since.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Very interesting! I have a double boot every few days. Maybe 1 out of 10 boots. Then it locks up during Windows when the logo thingy comes together. I managed to reduce the double boots a lot by disableing OPROM messages, putting PLL on Auto, using offset voltage, and disabling all power savers except EIST and C1E. Now I can live with it, but a double boot is still annoying.

Hi,

Robert

Which Z77 board do you have exactly? If it's Asus, and if you have no problems, I might upgrade. Except for the double boots my Asus Z68 board has been working flawlessly.

Which Z77 board do you have exactly? If it's Asus, and if you have no problems, I might upgrade. Except for the double boots my Asus Z68 board has been working flawlessly.

It's the ASUS P8Z77-V. As already mentioned, the double post/cold boot/startup issue is a hardware flaw with the P67/Z68 boards so it can't be solved with BIOS updates.

It's the ASUS P8Z77-V. As already mentioned, the double post/cold boot/startup issue is a hardware flaw with the P67/Z68 boards so it can't be solved with BIOS updates.

So you are positive that you have had NO double boot issues with the Z77? If this is the case I might look into Asus again.

As a matter of fact, it's been the boards with the marvel controllers (as far as I can tell). Not all P67/Z68 boards are afflicted.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I feel inclined to believe that the Marvell controller is the root of the cause as Zach said. Do the Z77 boards have the Marvell controllers still?

I have a GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 no problems at all.

Well mine's their P67A variant, the UD4 B3 rev.... apparently looking at other forums - I've got it easy... It usually only occurs when I restart the PC. If I shutdown for the day, and then power it up next day - it usually doesn't happen.

I guess I'm glad I took the cheaper route on the UD4 and didn't buy one of those extreme boards... Oh well I'll put up with it until it more frequently occurs. Also when I get the boot loop, I lose OC settings and everything reverts to stock, does that happen to you guys too? Also, FWIW I've got the Realtek lan and not marvell...

If I do go Z77 it will accept my 1155 2500K and my ram right?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hello

Asus Sabertooth P67 here, never double boots

If I do go Z77 it will accept my 1155 2500K and my ram right?

Ryan,

They should work just fine but you didn't mention the exact ram you have. Also your board does have a Marvell SATA controller. It is the SATA causing issues not LAN. Big%20Grin.gif

Hello

Asus Sabertooth P67 here, never double boots

Are you overclocking? That seems to kick off the cold boot/double boot problem.

BTW I love the sabertooth boards, very nice choice.

I feel inclined to believe that the Marvell controller is the root of the cause as Zach said. Do the Z77 boards have the Marvell controllers still?

I agree with Ben & Zach. I have not seen a double boot/cold boot on non-Marvell boards. My board (non-pro) doesn't have the issue and neither does my friends Gene-Z which both use JMicron controllers.