Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Details unique to FLIGHT...

I don't mean to be negative, but on the basis that I have yet to see anyone who prefers Flight to other flying games bothering to go into other flying game forums to roundly criticise their shortcomings, I'm thinking that Flight has another unique attribute.... An ability to attract those who are clearly NOT its target market, into making disparaging comments about the lack of long range IFR jet routes, etc (this is not aimed at anyone in this thread, just a general behavioural observation).

I'm sure it would be an interesting sociological case study using culture or mobilisation theories...

I'm sure it would be an interesting sociological case study using culture or mobilisation theories...

Well, if a pretty nurse would like to get in touch with me to probe my brain I would be more than happy to deal with her.

Guest Antlab

Flight has another unique problem, it's the mutant child replacement for a long and loved franchise.

You touched an important spot, that in my opinion explains very well the question.

It's normal that in flight sim forums usually people are well aware both of the history of the sector, and of the existing alternatives. And this is the main problem of Flight, to be quite weak in both comparison, and as you say, the "mutant" heir of a glorious tradition.

So we have two general attitudes, quite visible here on Avsim.

Those who, referring to the history and the competition, are quite surprised by the scarce contents of Flight, and pose questions about its future.

And those who like the new program but would avoid any reference to both history and alternatives, and sometimes would prefer to see it in absence of any context.

I don't see any particular problem with this situation, provided that people are let free to express politely their opinion.

A.

And meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :Party: the guy who knows about the competition (there is now competition actually...), but still finds FLIGHT ahead of it in what he finds as it's main/unique features, don't really bother with the future (other than looking forward for a long healthy existence ...), and strongly believes FLIGHT will be a success when great DLCs are released.... (ALASKA being the first after Hawaii...)

P.S.: Not forgetting about the Maule and the AM6, and the P51 too although I prefer the "Zero"...

So we have two general attitudes, quite visible here on Avsim.

Those who, referring to the history and the competition, are quite surprised by the scarce contents of Flight, and pose questions about its future.

And those who like the new program but would avoid any reference to both history and alternatives, and sometimes would prefer to see it in absence of any context.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

Guest Antlab

And meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :Party: the guy who knows about the competition (there is now competition actually...), but still finds FLIGHT ahead of it in what he finds as it's main/unique features...

You are right, but you are a particular case. You said that you own a superfancy ELITE system for serious simulation, but very few here have similar possibilities. So in your case Flight is clearly only a relaxing casual pastime between harder engagements Big%20Grin.gif

A.

Learning more about Hawaii, landmarks, WWII history from passengers while flying missions or from Aerocaches. WWII airplane theme has also encouraged me to read up a bit more on WWII in the Pacific - I have to say I really didn't know too much about it beforehand.

They've also posted some info about the warplanes at https://news.microsoftflight.com/blogs/news/archive/2012/04/27/warbirds-in-hawaii.aspx I think it's a nice touch.

As far as I can determine, the single greatest thing about Flight is that...

...it can only get better as time goes on. There is a lot of room for growth! :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

How come no one has mentioned the sloped runways yet?

+1 I totally forgot. The ground handling and perfectly flat and smooth terrain in FSX almost had me considering a switch to XP. I love this improvement.

I feel a real vertigo in some occasions in "Flight".

I get that too - flying low over western Kauai, then passing over the edge of Waimea canyon as it opens up and drops beneath you. Try it at dawn or dusk! Especially immersive on my 30" display!

The ability to get out of the aircraft and walk around. This will likely be expanded in the future.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The Waimea Canyon is pretty spectacular - the shadows of the landscape are really wonderful.

Best regards.

Luis

The ability to get out of the aircraft and walk around. This will likely be expanded in the future.

Hook

Just don't lose your plane! I once exited the aircraft before closing Flight, then the next time I loaded it I started at a different airport. There I was, standing on the end of the runway with no aircraft. I had to go into map view and click on each airport and each runway until I found my plane again.

LOL Next time go to the map > hangar and pick your plane. :wink:

Opps... haha, never thought of that! I guess I was trying to be "green" and not waste perfectly good aircraft.

picard-facepalm.jpg