Sign in to follow this  
Skybus2000

A quick thanks to Rob PMDG

PSX has improved outside visuals and an out of the box support so that you can use any visual system you like.

In this way it works exactly the same as a full motion simulator. Why constrain yourself to false flight models and the other limitations of MSFS simplify to get an outside view? When you can do this anyway! Recently I read that Microsoft has sold the FSX visual to a company to use in real world sims, why not follow the lead and just use FSX or the visual at home?

It also has its own weather and magnectic database, this will mean things such as the weather radar and Windshear detection etc will work.

You will have the possibility to create endless scenarios and play what if as ALL systems down past the CB level are functioning, it essentially features a DFDR and QAR so again you can see everything you did in detail and build scenarios around that.... Or complete a oceanic crossing and know that you completed it as close to reality as possible.

As I say, I would love to see PMDG step upto the plate with the 777 or other aircraft and build in this kind of functionality.... Or even just follow the correct specifications for the FMS database.....

Hey Regs,

It would be interesting to hear your experience on how similar/not similar the systems on the 747-400 are to the 777.

Having had the PMDG 747-400 for years, I have a good understanding of most systems but I had great diffculty trying to 'figure out' the 737NGX. I'm just curious how easy or difficult it will be to make the transition to the 777.

Springbok,

What areas did you have difficulty in? As you know the 744 is older technology and the 737NG and 777 have more commonality in some areas.

But specifically where did you struggle?

*edit the above to say... The main panel and displays are newer technology than the 744...

However if your struggling with some of the systems.. Then yes I can see why. The 747-400 has a very nice user friendly overhead panel, making the understanding of the various actions that are made when you make a selection that much easier....

The 737 overhead panel on the other hand...... Well that is throw back to the 707.

Proffesionally I have flown the A319/20/21 and MD11... When ever i have jump seated in the 737NG I have always thought what a nice main panel it has.... Then I look upto the overhead and it is a total mess!

Not to mention the jump seat in the 737 is a right contraption that folds out like Japanese origami! Most uncomfortable.

Just my thoughts - It's not really fair comparing the latest Aerowinx product with a PMDG plane released quite a lot of years ago (2005 perhaps).

Not only that... I'm pretty sure calling it a toy is just a bit of an exaggeration... A toy is a freeware 747 model in the file libraries...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have a feeling DLH_FRA must work for the other company considering his staunch support for them and apparent dislike or unappreciation for what PMDG has done.

Jim Burke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jim,

As far as I am aware.. Hardy is the only one that works for Aerowinx.

I just wanted to address the cult like mentality that some people have regarding these add ons " that nothing can be better" and" it's just like the real thing"

When they have no basis to judge this upon.

It is good for PMDG to have competition because this will in turn force them to upgrade their products.

Granted Aerowinx and PMDG have different markets, ones targeting airlines and flight training organizations, TRTO's etc the other is targeting the hobby simmer.

It does just annoy me slightly when people comment that the offerings are so fantastic from PMDG that they can't be any better etc etc (PMDG do have a good product) but guys at least get the FMS to work correctly!

It would be really nice to see PMDG deepen the level of their simulators, with regards to the systems.., failure options etc... Let's get down to and beyond the circuit breaker level.

"When they have no basis to judge this on."

No basis, except near universal praise from every objective review of their products, and specifically, with regards to the 737 NGX, near universal acknowledgment of the product being the most comprehensive simulation of an airliner for a consumer simulator ever. Not to mention praise from real world pilots of the actual aircraft. And, finally, the actual experiences of the users of their products. I, like the vast majority of people who post in these forums are not cult-like devotees of PMDG. The NGX is the first PMDG product I have ever purchased, and I did so only after having read numerous reviews. However, I have been messing around with flight sims since I was a teenager on my commodore 64. It doesn't make me an expert, but I have enough experience to safely say that at least with the 737 NGX, PMDG's product is far and away the most sophisticated and immersive add-on to my flight-simming experience, ever. I can't speak to the accuracy of the flight model, but many, many, others who have no dog in the fight have, and they seem credible to me. Finally, not only is it apparent that PMDG's developers have a near fanatical passion for their products, they are incredibly responsive to their user base, frequently interacting on these forums, with the goal of ensuring the best possible user experience. The fact that these users are in turn passionate about PMDG is not the result of cult-like hypnotism, it is the inevitable consequence of a widely acknowledged superior product and responsive and interactive customer service - it is loyalty earned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Springbok,

What areas did you have difficulty in? As you know the 744 is older technology and the 737NG and 777 have more commonality in some areas.

But specifically where did you struggle?

Thanks for responding Regs,

I'm having difficulty with the electrical system on the 737, the power switching from APU, after the engines have started and the reverse. In my swtiching,I'm getting a 'single FMC' prompt whcih means I'm doing it wrong. I can always go back and read a tutorial but I don't genuinely understand the system, when I'm supposed to see lights, what they mean etc. as an example.

I enjoy reading about these things so I'll get it but it's interesting the comment you made about the 737 overhead panel. The rest of the plane is fine but when I get to the overhead panel, admittedly I feel somewhat out of place compared to the 747. The 747 is so, organised and makes sense. I can't quite pin down why I feel that way.

I was just wondering if it will be easier going from 747 to 777, than from 747 to 737NG. I probably haven't messed with the 737NGX as long as I've been messing with the 747. New things tend to make you feel slow and old! This, of course, is until you get them.

You need to switch over the electrical source.. It is not automatic like on the Airbus etc.

So you need to manually select the generators online once the engines are running....

At a quick guess that is your problem in this instance...

So you need to manually select the generators online once the engines are running..

Correct, Dennis.

Don't worry it caught me...

I have never flown the 737... I was on the Airbus and then onto the MD. However just sitting in the jumpseat looking at that overhead panel is enough to put me off it for life!

The Airbus and MD11 both have highly automated flightdecks that are an absolute joy.

The other thing you notice in the 737 is the noise of the electrical relays when they change they are very loud compared to the aircraft I have operated.

I am a big fan of the integrated pushbuttons.. All uniform on a oversized system diagram.. As opposed to the 737 with its array of switches and knobs!