Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jacoba

Microsoft returning Windows to 'the digital dark ages'?

Microsoft returning Windows to 'the digital dark ages'?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/10/microsoft-will-ban-chrome-firefox-from-windows-8-mozilla-says/#ixzz1uUNmYY1Q

The biggest lawsuit in Microsoft’s history dominated the 90s, when the company battled accusations that it was stifling browser competition. Rival Netscape couldn't survive, but the Windows giant was ultimately forced to strip Internet Explorer from its operating system in a landmark ruling.

That conflict may be brewing up again.

Can't say I agree with Microsoft's play on this one and it will surely bite them in the end - if only from the negative publicity.

That said, "returning Windows to the digital dark ages" is the typically baseless hyperbole I would expect from Fox "News" - it certainly isn't as bad as all that.

As an aside, although it is possible to run alternate browsers on IOS devices, it isn't possible to allow them the same degree of integration with the OS as the built-in Safari and Apple doesn't seem to get much grief for that...

I think this will be a Windows Vista Version 2.

First the close out of add-on developers now Windows itself is moving in similar territory. Microsoft's OS has far bigger visibility than Flight Simulator so I doubt this plays as well with the world community.