Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

DirectX 9 or DirectX10

I have heard that some things work better with DirectX9 installed?

For example the rain is better with directX9.

But what do PMDG recommend. Does the DirectX drivers effect the performance of the PMDG?

I do not think FSX supports anything higher than DX9.

Microsoft did a preview of DX10 in SP2 and Acceleration. But it is just a big hit on performance.

If I am not mistaken, in the manual for the NGX is says to turn the DX10 preview off.

The ngx is fully compatible with dx10 preview mode, and as you already seen it is faster with dx10. However the problem is for the other not compatible add ons like old planes and sceneries where gray objects must be called aircrafts or buildings.

It is a pity that only few are using dx10 preview, on my system I have excellent performances with them.

PS: The intro manual only give a recomendation about graphic settings for better performances, and tells to turn dx10 preview off, however, on my system is not true, and probably also on your.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

The latest NVidia drivers plus Nvidia inspector running adaptive Vsync @ 1/2 your refresh rate has elevated DX9 above running DX10 for smoothness and performance.

It's entirely system dependent though. Some people have said they get worse performance running this combo, but for the majority that posted in the thread (sorry, can't find the link) it offered the same framerate as DX10 except you get the bonus of no stuttering, custom levels of AA and transparency, and anisotropic filtering.

DX10 still works, and compared to regular DX9 increases performance and framerates (depending on the system running FSX). Drawbacks; poor AA, taxiway/runway texture flickering, and some addons not supported (i.e. Flightbeam's KSFO doesn't like DX10 at night, the textures wierd out).

For me, my sim has never been as smooth as it is now (completely stutter free) running on DX9 around 30 FPS with the latest drivers and 1/2 Vsync.

The lack of good AA is a huge reason not to use DX10 mode if you ask me...

Does PMDG have an offical take on this, or is it a bit un-decided? Maybe pros and cons by the look of it?

OK thanks for your replys

If you want to spend time in try, use what trip7cap programs, check if you can tuneup the dx9 mode to work faster as dx10 does.

I have not too much time, so I cannot try.

I flown the ngx only one time in the last month.

Regards

Andrea Daviero