Sign in to follow this  
bill1970

CDU on an iPad?

Is anyone working to develop an iPad app that would connect to the NGX to mirror the CDU so I could read and program the FMC? I know there is specialized hardware out there, but it's pretty expensive and I'm willing to sacrifice realistic look to get the functionality

Bill Rowe

Try Air Display for the iPad, works great, minimal lag, the only issue i found was you had to have a sliver (like only 2-3 pixels) of the FMC on the main screen but i see there has been a recent update which i havnt yet tried but will hopefully have fixed this issue.

http://avatron.com/apps/air-display

you can drag multiple screens across onto it, like the FMC and radios for example and resize the windows as well.

Just need to make sure you undock the window from the main screen from within FSX

There are other programs out there but when i looked 4 months ago air display looked the best.

my setup is FSX/Win7_64

Good Luck.

David

David, I think you forgot to mention that it only works in Windowed mode :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

David, I think you forgot to mention that it only works in Windowed mode :wink:

Thanks Howard,

This is really big for me not being able to use full screen.

Evan.

Is anyone working to develop an iPad app that would connect to the NGX to mirror the CDU so I could read and program the FMC?

Air Display is the only option right now. The ability for a third party application to read what is being displayed in the NGX CDU is not possible with the current NGX SDK.

Noah Bryant

Hmmm... I have Air display and never worked!, I transfer the CDU to it, but it freezes, no display etc. Never been able to use it.

Chemanuel

I tried it once and although it (sort of) worked I just thought it was too impractical. That iPad is much better suited for charts and what not. Of course I have two other monitors that are just as capable of displaying a CDU as Air Display, without the lag.

Noah Bryant

Avatron came out with an update for Air Display a few days ago, saying that they reduced the lag significantly. Well yes it actually helped when moving your browser to the iPad, but it still isn't very suitable for placing the CDU on it. It freezes on mine as well. And I can't press anything. So I'll stick to viewing charts on it using Dropbox, which is imo the most fun use of my iPad, that I've had so far when flight simming! :smile:

Hi folks,

I had the same issue with Air Display. I searched and tried one from the App Store called "xDisplay' by Splashtop. Frankly, it works great with NO lag whatsoever.

I have yet to find one that works in "full-screen mode". ...........but xDisplay app works great.

cthiggin

Hi folks,

I had the same issue with Air Display. I searched and tried one from the App Store called "xDisplay' by Splashtop. Frankly, it works great with NO lag whatsoever.

I have yet to find one that works in "full-screen mode". ...........but xDisplay app works great.

cthiggin

Hi mate you mentioned the xdisplay, can you quickly tell me how you get this to work? My computer is on cable to my router w/ wifi. So I start both programs and then transfer the cdu from the screen to the iPad or? Sorry for my noobish question hehe :-)

Jakob

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

Avatron came out with an update for Air Display a few days ago, saying that they reduced the lag significantly. Well yes it actually helped when moving your browser to the iPad, but it still isn't very suitable for placing the CDU on it. It freezes on mine as well. And I can't press anything. So I'll stick to viewing charts on it using Dropbox, which is imo the most fun use of my iPad, that I've had so far when flight simming! :smile:

I now use the iPad for the FMC and for charts.

I download, organize and store charts on my pc and use a free Dropbox account to make these available on the iPad. Whatever new or updated charts I add to the Dropbox folder on my desktop rig are immediately available on the iPad. I prefer to use the GoodReader app for iPad ($5.00), which interfaces really well with whatever is in your Dropbox folder. GoodReader is so good it should cost twice the price or more. If you want to skip Dropbox altogether, GoodReader also has an included sync'ing app that will keep the charts on your iPad identical to those on your desktop machine.

I also use a free LogMeIn account to display the FMC on the iPad. You need a dual output GPU and two monitors connected to it. Unlock and slide the FMC from the VC over to the second monitor, and the iPad will display whatever is on the 2nd monitor. You can resize the FMC so it fills the iPad screen. I do all FMC programming using the touchscreen, and can still easily move back and forth between the FMC and whatever charts I need. Never had a freeze with this setup, and no lag. Plunk the iPad onto an $8.00 stand from monoprice.com and you're good to go.

If you go this route and have any questions, I'll be glad to help you get it set up.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Hi Jev,

Do you experience a slight delay when you key in the FMC?

Jimmy

Intel® Core™ i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz (Turbo 4.7GHz), 2TB Patriot ViperVP4100 NVMe M.2 SSD , 3TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD, 64GB DDR4/3000MHz Quad ChMemory, EVGA GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ FTW3 HYDRO COPPER GAMING 8GB GDDR6 (Custom Water Block), Samsung QLED 32”, Windows 98😀

JakobF,

You are correct. Start xDisplay (Splashtop Streamer) on your "PC first", load FSX and your flight - on your iPad, start xDisplay - in FSX (Window Mode), open the module you want to transfer in FSX, such as FMC, be sure to "un-dock", then with your mouse, move it to the iPad - you're ready to go...Also, the iPad Touch Screen "works" xDisplay, so you can make FMC or whatever you've moved over to iPad respond to your touch. Works great.

cthiggin

Works perfect! :) AirDisplay you are going to the trash bin... For charts and documents FSKneeboard 2 is the app!, but for the cdu the LogmeIn. I can't use my finger with a conventional monitor, I'm having a blast.

Chemanuel