Sign in to follow this  
MikeP

Weather Texture Engines

Which Weather Engine?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which Weather Engine?

Hey!

I'm currently using REX Essential at the moment, haven't flown with it yet but will do tomorrow or so...

I was wondering, if anyone would suggest AS2012, REXE or Both?

Thanks!

Mike

Well, Essential just came out, so until people actually try it, no answers yet. I have rex overdrive, loved the textures but the weather engine wasn't the best for me. I have ASE and AS2012. I've used them and I love their weather engines. I'm very much interested in the appearance of the clouds. I loved REX's HD clouds, AS2012's clouds, I don't think I like so much they're always somehow bluish and 'blend' with the sky (it's difficult to explain). So most of all, I'm looking forward to REX Essential's '3D clouds'. I downloaded yesterday, but then I realized that for OD users, we have to wait for Essential OD, or do a complete uninstall/reinstall. I'd rather wait for the OD. So no votes yet until I have the Essential OD installed.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

From what I've heard the Essential weather engine still has the "flashing sky" issue during weather updates, and I know that ActiveSky doesn't.

I'll be installing the Essential OD textures for sure but probably sticking with ActiveSky for my weather engine, which runs off of my laptop and not on my FSX machine (which the REX Wx engine does).

Saves me computing power for teh NGX.

Mike too soon? Give people time to experiment with what REX Essential can accomplish.

I highly doubt that in less than 24-hours anyone will grasp the full scope.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

What I really meant was a better weather engine. I love REX's textures but the weather engine still isn't what I hoped for, although a lot better, just not what I hoped.

And you made this decision this soon?

It took our testers weeks to wrap their heads around full scope of the weather engine. Perhaps spending time learning more on the functions in regards.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Unfortunately, I have to say AS2012 is a better weather engine. I spent most of today comparing the aloft winds REX Essential's weather engine gives, along with the relevant wind charts for Europe and over the Atlantic, and while Active Sky gave pretty much what the wind charts were saying, Essential was giving (in some cases) winds going in the polar opposite direction - even in cases where there was a prominent jetstream. It's frustrating because REX's weather engine visually produces much more impressive scenarios, and does a brilliant job with fog - but the winds really don't match up at all. While this isn't a problem on a shorthaul, if you're flying a 12 hour flight, the difference between a 20 knot headwind and a 20 knot tailwind is quite massive when it comes to fuel planning.

MANY factors come in place here... was this with a flight plan? Again, settings within the configuration section affect other areas. I just don't see how it's possible to make a judgement this soon.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

@timest, This is your software so I appreciate your defensive this but if I was wanting the developer of the softwares comments, I'd be asking over at the REX forum and not here. I don't mean to be rude or sound rude but I'm asking the community.

I'm not necessarily talking about Essential but REX and AS2012 as a whole.

Anyway....

I don't have ActiveSky so I voted for Essentials. I'm really liking the user interface and the new sounds.... But, when will it rain here in Texas?!? I may never be able to try out the sounds. :LMAO: (Well, I was so excited that I did fly in Jacksonville with the hurricane going on there and all I can say is that I felt like I was actually there...)

Edited by linux731

MANY factors come in place here... was this with a flight plan? Again, settings within the configuration section affect other areas. I just don't see how it's possible to make a judgement this soon.

This was just using a flight plan with longitude and latitude coordinates over the Atlantic to test the winds.

http://aviationweath.../iffdp/2513.gif

If I use that chart, and run three points with a clear wind direction, 2535N, 4040N and 4550N.

So, the wind chart shows that at 2535N we should be getting a wind from approximately 260 degrees and of around 40-55 knots at FL340. REX reports 265/05; so from the right direction, but the actual wind speed is off by a factor of 10.

For 4040N the chart shows again a clear wind from around 280-290 degrees of at least 50 knots. REX is giving me a wind of 105/15 - so the polar opposite wind direction and with a much smaller wind speed.

For 4550N we should be getting a wind from 270-280 degrees and of nearly 100 knots. REX reports a wind of 105/15 knots, exactly the same as 4040N - which again is clearly very wrong.

3540N should be from around 310-340 degrees of around 30-40 knots. REX reports 105/15 as well.

It's a bit odd that REX gives the same winds for points which are more than 600nm apart (an area of roughly 60,000 square miles).

harvesl, Tom here on AVSIM granted us a temporary support forum while we try and restore our servers from the hack earlier.

Please post within that forum for your issues, and let us try and help you:

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/552-temporary-rex-support-forum/

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

harvesl, Tom here on AVSIM granted us a temporary support forum while we try and restore our servers from the hack earlier.

Please post within that forum for your issues, and let us try and help you:

http://forum.avsim.n...-support-forum/

I've posted in the forum, but I don't really see how it's an issue I've only got. What issue could I have that's making REX report wrong winds? I've tried changing interpolation settings, wind smoothing on and off, it makes no difference to the winds being reported wrong over the Atlantic.