Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

WWDC 2012

Has anyone watched the conference on Apple's website? Great presentation, IMO.

However, I think the new MacBook Pro is wayyy to expensive.... $2199! :Money Eyes:

The new "Maps" looks promising but I don't know if I'm willing to lose my jailbreak for it.

Oh and the MacBook Pro, very very expensive BUT it's finally gonna have the retina display. I'm thinking of picking one up whenever they're available.

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

The new "Maps" looks promising but I don't know if I'm willing to lose my jailbreak for it.

Oh and the MacBook Pro, very very expensive BUT it's finally gonna have the retina display. I'm thinking of picking one up whenever they're available.

Shhh... I'm not at that part yet!

It has no DVD reader/writer... I think Apple should not have focused so much on making it small and portable, as the MacBook Air is for that.

I was pretty impressed with what Apple produced... Watched the conference live on ustream.

Next Gen MacBook Pro. Very expensive!!.... Think Im going to go for the much more pocket friendly MacBook Pro 13".

iOS 6 has me pretty excited!! Its been a bugger not being able to use Siri here in Europe to look for directions/places, Now it looks like its possible. Plus the new "3D" maps look amazing!!

Macs have always been overpriced, I've been using them since 1984 and it's been that way since then when the little SEs cost a bloody fortune. They are also generally underpowered for what you pay too, but that is part of their showy ethos, a bit like a flashy sports car that isn't any faster, nor more practical than a hot hatchback.

That hefty pricing is nothing new.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I was pretty impressed with what Apple produced... Watched the conference live on ustream.

Next Gen MacBook Pro. Very expensive!!.... Think Im going to go for the much more pocket friendly MacBook Pro 13".

iOS 6 has me pretty excited!! Its been a bugger not being able to use Siri here in Europe to look for directions/places, Now it looks like its possible. Plus the new "3D" maps look amazing!!

I agree!!! The 3D Maps looks awesome! But, since they ditched Google Maps, will Maps have compatibility for the entire world or what?!

Macs have always been overpriced, I've been using them since 1984 and it's been that way since then when the little SEs cost a bloody fortune. They are also generally underpowered for what you pay too, but that is part of their showy ethos, a bit like a flashy sports car that isn't any faster, nor more practical than a hot hatchback.

That hefty pricing is nothing new.

Al

Yeah, but.... $2,199!!! Plus tax and shipping (if you buy it at the Apple store), it's around $2,250! That's a lot of money for a laptop.... I mean, even Alienware is cheaper and at least has a DVD reader/writer, and better specifications.

$2199 is expensive. Windows 8 is designed for the smaller laptops and gadgets and will boost sales to the Macbook Pro competitors.

I would rather buy a little Acer aspire laptop with a 10.1" screen and Windows 8 for under $450 and stuff an SSD into it. Small light and good enough performance.

Matthew Kane

$2199 is expensive. Windows 8 is designed for the smaller laptops and gadgets and will boost sales to the Macbook Pro competitors.

I would rather buy a little Acer aspire laptop with a 10.1" screen and Windows 8 for under $450 and stuff an SSD into it. Small light and good enough performance.

If Apple made their Macbook Pros (old generation), say $799, then I, along with many other people, would buy one. If they made their iMacs (21.5in.) $899, many people would buy it.

I don't think they realize their stuff is very expensive... I would also buy an iPad at $399.

If Apple made their Macbook Pros (old generation), say $799, then I, along with many other people, would buy one. If they made their iMacs (21.5in.) $899, many people would buy it.

I don't think they realize their stuff is very expensive... I would also buy an iPad at $399.

I completely agree.

Matthew Kane

Very tempted to buy a Mac as I need a new preferably faster laptop but two grand is a lot and anything less I might as well buy a windows based laptop.

Very tempted to buy a Mac as I need a new preferably faster laptop but two grand is a lot and anything less I might as well buy a windows based laptop.

If you dont want to splash out a grand on the Pro series, You can get the MacBook Air for $999 Its still expensive but Its a really superb bit of kit!

If you dont want to splash out a grand on the Pro series, You can get the MacBook Air for $999 Its still expensive but Its a really superb bit of kit!

I wish they still had the MacBooks. I think the Pros are too big, especially the 15". The MacBooks were of perfect size. (And they still had a DVD writer/reader....)

Edited by linux731

I read that the shipping time fell to 3-4 weeks within 24hrs! Sheesh!

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

If you're the type of person who would buy an Alienware, or even really know what one is, then you're probably not Apple's target audience.

Comparing Macs to PCs really doesn't work because Apple isn't trying to 'compete' with anyone so much as do something different but do it well. I predict by the end of summer you're going to be seeing Dell or HP laptops boasting SSDs and "Super Duper HD" screens because they want to keep up.

Also keep in mind, that for Apple users, the DVD drive is almost obsolete. Most software is downloaded from the internet, most files are backed up to one of several available clouds and movies are played off the internet. The only thing I have ever used my Mac's DVD drive for was to make backups, but now with Google's Cloud I don't even do that anymore.

Once again, Apple is doing what it does best. Targeting the average consumer with products that you can feel and touch. The average person doesn't know the difference between an SSD and mechanical drive, or the difference between memory and hard drive. But an average person can look at the super thin MacBook Pro and the absolutely gorgeous Retina display and instantly know what's better. Plus, the computer physically looks appealing. It's not some clunky black box.

Personally, I'm still a PC guy, but it's getting close to the point that I completely switch over. The main reason I haven't is FS. If it were easier to fly and control on a Mac I would probably switch over right away. That would certainly free up some space in the office.

Noah Bryant

If you're the type of person who would buy an Alienware, or even really know what one is, then you're probably not Apple's target audience.

Comparing Macs to PCs really doesn't work because Apple isn't trying to 'compete' with anyone so much as do something different but do it well. I predict by the end of summer you're going to be seeing Dell or HP laptops boasting SSDs and "Super Duper HD" screens because they want to keep up.

Also keep in mind, that for Apple users, the DVD drive is almost obsolete. Most software is downloaded from the internet, most files are backed up to one of several available clouds and movies are played off the internet. The only thing I have ever used my Mac's DVD drive for was to make backups, but now with Google's Cloud I don't even do that anymore.

Once again, Apple is doing what it does best. Targeting the average consumer with products that you can feel and touch. The average person doesn't know the difference between an SSD and mechanical drive, or the difference between memory and hard drive. But an average person can look at the super thin MacBook Pro and the absolutely gorgeous Retina display and instantly know what's better. Plus, the computer physically looks appealing. It's not some clunky black box.

Personally, I'm still a PC guy, but it's getting close to the point that I completely switch over. The main reason I haven't is FS. If it were easier to fly and control on a Mac I would probably switch over right away. That would certainly free up some space in the office.

Ahhh, I see your point Noah.