Sign in to follow this  
Chrisv007

CPFlight MCP-EFIS and the NGX

I think I may go ahead with the MCP EL and the EFIS PRO.

I've had a chat with the fellows over at CP Flight and there doesn't seem to be any compatible issues.

OPUS also has built in support for the MCP/EFIS, which is great.

What does OPUS actually do for CP Flight. Is it just a driver that replaces the one from CP Fligth or? Today I can't control V/S in PMDG737NGX using the CPFlightMCP USB - the display on the CP Flight MCP is dark and nothing changes in the sim when I rotate the dial.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

+1 with the CP Flight EL +EFIS. HQ. I would need a nav. Comm and ATC module later

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

+1 on the quality of CP Flight gear. I have the EL MCP and EFIS, and can't fault 'em.

Had mine several years and no problems or regrets.  Earlier drivers were a wee bit flaky, but the newer ones are seamless with the NGX

I'll take the opportunity to also praise the cpflight hardware, I have the USB model of the EFIS and MCP and they are really great. I had a few issues with their driver but since cpflight are kind enough to document the communication protocol I wrote my own driver (for the NGX). I don't know if it has changed lately but their driver had to be started manually by fiddling in the FSX menus every flight, which really annoyed me, and it kept getting out of sync with the NGX from time to time.

Latest driver (v3.35) is spot on. Includes an autostart feature.

Opus Software also has built in support for the MCP.

Tried it, but was very laggy compared to the CPFlight driver

I thought the NGX drivers for cp flight were payware?

The driver to make the MCP etc work with the PMDG 747 is (very expensive) payware. I bought it to use with the 747 while waiting for the NGX, and found it severely lacking - £60 for a driver that locks the sim for 1-2 seconds every time AP or AT is engaged or disengaged.

(I should point out that PMDG were not responsible for this, but one of their former devs, who, unlike Dick Turpin, didn't wear a mask.)

Hi superluminal,

Do you know if the 'cold and dark' or realistic power management works with the EL series? I know for the pro series there was a recent firmware update so the MCP would only realistically turn on when the appropriate switches from the overhead (?battery) are turned on.

Latest driver (v3.35) is spot on. Includes an autostart feature.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

The latest driver, v3.35, does the cold and dark start up quite convincingly.

The driver loads, but will not connect until the APU bus is ON.

Then there is restricted function on the MCP / EFIS until the main busses are on.

For example, the backlighting and FD illumination will only operate when the system is fully powered.

It's probably not exactly how it all operates in the real cockpit, but it's convincing all the same.

All the above relates to  v 1.03, the original delivery firmware I'm running.

Just noticed on CP Flight's website that they are up to version 1.05 on the EL firmware.

I will update mine and see if there's anything different.

Updated to 1.05, and after a brief run through, there doesn't seem to be any differences.

Edited by Superluminal

Can i use the CPFlight 747 for both the PMDg 737 and 747? Will i need two sets of drivers, the CPFlight driver for 737 and the Flightsimlabs driver for the 747?

You need to pay FlightSimLabs 30 pieces of silver  60 Euros + VAT for use of the 747 driver

See:   http://www.flightsimlabs.com/interfaces/cpflight-mcppro-fsx/

My advice: Don't.

The CPFlight driver does for the NGX, and I expect the 777 and later the 747 v2 will also be supported, free, by CPFlight shortly after the PMDG model SDKs are released.

You need to pay FlightSimLabs 30 pieces of silver  60 Euros + VAT for use of the 747 driver

See:   http://www.flightsimlabs.com/interfaces/cpflight-mcppro-fsx/

My advice: Don't.

The CPFlight driver does for the NGX, and I expect the 777 and later the 747 v2 will also be supported, free, by CPFlight shortly after the PMDG model SDKs are released.

Ah Ok. Which should I buy to be most compatible with the 737, 747 and 777? The 737 MCP or 747 MCP? Unfortunately the PMDG 747v2 wont be released for a while I think (maybe even not this year). Does the GoFlight work with their drivers?

Ah Ok. Which should I buy to be most compatible with the 737, 747 and 777? The 737 MCP or 747 MCP? Unfortunately the PMDG 747v2 wont be released for a while I think (maybe even not this year). Does the GoFlight work with their drivers?

Cant answer that one. There's a compatibility chart on CPFlight's website for current aircraft / hardware interoperability.

Visually, the 777 and 747 cockpits are brown, as is the 747 MCP & EFIS, but I wouldn't base your choice on that alone.

As for the GoFlight stuff, no idea. When I was researching MCPs before purchase I looked at 'em, but go the impression they were low end, with poor support for specific high-end FSX aircraft such as PMDG.

Cant answer that one. There's a compatibility chart on CPFlight's website for current aircraft / hardware interoperability.

Visually, the 777 and 747 cockpits are brown, as is the 747 MCP & EFIS, but I wouldn't base your choice on that alone

I was thinking more about the buttons and functions. For example, i would not be able to use the 737 MCP on the 747 as it does not have 3 CMD buttons.

Right, see what you mean.

Currently, there are differences between CPFlight and FSLabs driver. For example, on the FSLabs driver, HDG SEL on the 747 is engaged by pressing Control Wheel Steering A  on the CPFlight 737EL MCP.

These are, of course, two different drivers from two different developers, but I can only imagine that something similar will have to be implemented within a future CPFlight driver to accommodate the different MCP layouts / buttons etc.

See:  http://www.cpflight.com/sito/support/swcomptab.asp

for the variations currently in use.

http://www.cpflight.com/

/ compatibility

I was thinking more about the buttons and functions. For example, i would not be able to use the 737 MCP on the 747 as it does not have 3 CMD buttons.

...and on the 747 driver, the third CMD AP is engaged by pressing CWS B.

Edited by Superluminal

As for the GoFlight stuff, no idea. When I was researching MCPs before purchase I looked at 'em, but go the impression they were low end, with poor support for specific high-end FSX aircraft such as PMDG.

Have to chime in as I owned a Goflight MCP. Not low-end as it supports as many features of the high-ends offer. The only difference really is it is not to-scale as the high-end MCPs are. It has support for the majority of the high-end A/Cs including PMDG. It also works well in XPX.

Superluminal, on 20 Mar 2013 - 12:35, said:

...and on the 747 driver, the third CMD AP is engaged by pressing CWS B.

Thanks for the explanation. i just noticed the 737 MCP does not have the right engine display buttons (EICAS) like on the 747 MCP.