Sign in to follow this  
TheRedBaron

FSX + AMD FX-8150

Hi,

I have had FSX installed on my "new" pc (specs in signature) for about six months now, and I have gone through endless forums on how to improve performance, and I have managed to get my performance up to a pretty good level (most scenery settings maxed, all traffic except for GA at 40%). I use the BP=0 tweak, but I tend to get artifacts when panning. When I try to use bufferpools or delete the [bufferpools] section in FSX.cfg (Rebuilding didn't help), I get endless stutters in wing, spot, and locked spot views (I have enough VRAM-2 GB).

Yes, I could turn the settings down, but I have already tried that . For some reason, I have actually seen a performance decrease when turning down autogen, and traffic has no effect until it is set to around 75-80%. :unknw:

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think it is my GPU, because I routinely see usage at 90-100%.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think it is my GPU, because I routinely see usage at 90-100%.

Your GPU is overwhelemed by the CPU data output with using BP=0. When using BP=0, you are going to need a GPU around 480,560ti,570,580,670,680, to eliminate the artifacts.

Your GPU is overwhelemed by the CPU data output with using BP=0. When using BP=0, you are going to need a GPU around 480,560ti,570,580,670,680, to eliminate the artifacts.

Thanks a lot! I thought that was the problem, but I was not really sure. I was planning on getting a 2gb 560 ti or a 2.5gb 570 to replace my card anyway.

Thanks a lot! I thought that was the problem, but I was not really sure. I was planning on getting a 2gb 560 ti or a 2.5gb 570 to replace my card anyway.

If can afford it, the best bang for buck would be a GTX670. Although, if that is too expensive, I would recommend this.

Being a veteran of FSX tweaking myself...

I find the less you mess with FSX.cfg parameters and just adjust the scenery sliders the better the performance.

FSX is not a well-coded game, BUT a lot of the so-called config tweaks you can find on the net are either outdated (redundant) and/or reduce performance because it's putting too much strain on a system even if it is reported to lessen the strain.

If can afford it, the best bang for buck would be a GTX670. Although, if that is too expensive, I would recommend this.

Thanks! I cannot afford a 670, so a 570 is probably what I will end up going in for.

Being a veteran of FSX tweaking myself...

I find the less you mess with FSX.cfg parameters and just adjust the scenery sliders the better the performance.

FSX is not a well-coded game, BUT a lot of the so-called config tweaks you can find on the net are either outdated (redundant) and/or reduce performance because it's putting too much strain on a system even if it is reported to lessen the strain.

I have wasted sooooooooooo much time on some tweaks, so I know what you mean about many tweaks being outdated/ useless/ AAAAAAAARgh-inducing. But, I still think some of the tweaks have benefits--my system was under-used by FSX, and the increased usage led to a general increase in performance.

560ti is a god card but it is being having driver issues for ages and nvidia havnt got around to soritnng them out. i have to use older drivers or have constant crashes and not just in FSX

560ti is a god card but it is being having driver issues for ages and nvidia havnt got around to soritnng them out.

Oh, thanks for that tip. I honestly had no clue about that, because most reviews I had read were pretty happy with the card. I will keep that in mind. I may even go in for a 7870--the only reason I am hesitating is that AMD driver support is horrible (or at least was, two years ago).

Oh, thanks for that tip. I honestly had no clue about that, because most reviews I had read were pretty happy with the card. I will keep that in mind. I may even go in for a 7870--the only reason I am hesitating is that AMD driver support is horrible (or at least was, two years ago).

I'm using a 7970 and I'm wondering about the horrible driver support.

What do you mean by support? They come out with monthly updates!

No driver issues here whatsoever so the 7870 will be a sound choice as it's GCN too.

In fact I've been running ATi cards since Nvidia failed to support SLI with Vista and 8800GTX. In all that time (7 years) I have never encountered one problem that could be attributed to drivers.

I keep hearing about these bad drivers but have never seen one. ^_^

I'm using a 7970 and I'm wondering about the horrible driver support.

What do you mean by support? They come out with monthly updates!

No driver issues here whatsoever so the 7870 will be a sound choice as it's GCN too.

In fact I've been running ATi cards since Nvidia failed to support SLI with Vista and 8800GTX. In all that time (7 years) I have never encountered one problem that could be attributed to drivers.

I keep hearing about these bad drivers but have never seen one. ^_^

I am honestly going to say that I have no clue about this. It could be that the driver support sucked because I was using a pretty bad integrated chipset :P !

Anyway, thanks for the advice though. I think I am good for now--I am using a school Quadro 6000 for my research (and my research pc happens to be my main pc, which means I use it as my fsx pc ;) ). Surprisingly, performance is worse than with my 530 so far :( . But seeing as I can run Crysis on all very high spec. with 8x AA, I think I just need some bandwidth tweaking in FSX!!

I´m also using an ATI card. I must say, I´m getting the most smoothest flight under dx10 preview since applying the tweaks for dx10. I don´t think i´ll be going back to using dx9. After all by locking my framerates inside the sim to 30, I can add bloom, road traffic, reflections and all without one stutter ouside of weather updates. Even then it´s barely noticable.

I am honestly going to say that I have no clue about this. It could be that the driver support sucked because I was using a pretty bad integrated chipset :P !

Anyway, thanks for the advice though. I think I am good for now--I am using a school Quadro 6000 for my research (and my research pc happens to be my main pc, which means I use it as my fsx pc ;) ). Surprisingly, performance is worse than with my 530 so far :( . But seeing as I can run Crysis on all very high spec. with 8x AA, I think I just need some bandwidth tweaking in FSX!!

Sorry I went on a bit of a rant...

It's just that this bad ATi driver thing gets to me. Yes they had some problems with the 9800 series but that was many years ago now.

In all honesty both manufacturers are as good and as bad as each other.

Good job getting the Quadro playing games. B)

Not many attempt that.

Going from a AMD 6950 to a gtx 670 I can tell you amd has problems in GSX. AA, vsync, anything in cloudy situations. You'll kick yourself for not getting an nvidia. Grab the 660ti coming out this month.

Good job getting the Quadro playing games.

Thanks!

In general, performance is pretty good. Of course, FSX spits in the face of this card that has about 100x the floating point computational power of my CPU lol. I can get decent frames though. I have noticed one thing--frames fall off a cliff when I look at the horizon. If I look straight up or straight down (even in VC), frames jump back up again. Any ideas?

A Quadro 6000 is a GTX 470 with better driver support and more Vram.

DO NOT replace it with a GTX 560 Ti. Might as well take your money and set fire to it for all the good it would do you.

Overall I would say that a brand new GTX 570 which can be had for a good price now is the minimum I would upgrade to if you run FSX. It's what I use and honestly, it does just fine. Never seen it go to 100% utilization but it does cut it close on memory. A 2.5GB 570 would solve that issue and would have enough oomph to power FSX even if you were using 2+GB of Vram.

Then again I have used a 9500GT for FSX and had decent results...so it just depends really.