Sign in to follow this  

What happened to the Maule?

About the rudder trim: the nose trim left and right keys, which DO have an effect, aren't the same as the rudder trim: I can press the keys for those nose left and right trim and the rudder trim indicator stays at zero...

About the tanks: my bad. Aux are indeed empty.

I just played around with this adjustment because the Maule was constantly wanting to turn to the right. At first I programmed the Trim bank left and right and it did nothing at all. Then I programmed the nose left and nose right, and watched the rudder trim indicator in the cockpit change as I adjusted the nose left and right trim with the programed buttons on my joystick. So it appears there is no aileron trim in the Maule, just rudder trim.

Whoops, saw that this was corrected in a later post on the thread, so my comment was already discussed.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

Whoops, saw that this was corrected in a later post on the thread, so my comment was already discussed.

Independent confirmation is always of value. :Peace:

So it appears there is no aileron trim in the Maule, just rudder trim.

Just like the real one :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... 

The Grumman Goose in FSX had a decidedly bizarre set of prop response curves. From around 1900 RPM if you advance the prop control you'd get more power. If you reduced the prop control, you'd get more power down to around 1200 RPM. And by "power" here, I mean the fuel flow increased and the plane flew or climbed faster.

When testing service ceiling (which I did at least 50 times while tweaking the flight model and such) after about 10,000 to 12,000 feet, pulling the prop control back resulted in more power, while pushing it forward resulted in less, no matter what the RPM.

And no, this wasn't the mixture control by mistake. Given that the Goose had good digital fuel flow and EGT gauges, and the mixture affected those the most, and the prop control affected the RPM the most, it was pretty darn easy NOT to get confused.

Earlier I reported the highest service ceiling mentioned by anyone for the Maule (18,000+ feet), and I did it with prop set at 1600 RPM. Hard to get confused here as well.

While I flew the FSX Maule out of the same 11,300 foot airport a few times, I don't remember what I had to do to get it flying... short of reducing the weight as much as possible. The FSX Maule had no problems flying at 15,000 feet, but I never checked ceiling.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Hi,

so basically what has happened is that they didn't change the Maule but fattened the cargo and passengers in the mission files? :rolleyes:

-

I have a payware DC-2, that also has bizarre prop behavior..

I can only deduce, that in the tail-chase trying to get things "right", and "resemble" published data; radial engines with large diameter props present a problem for MSFS development.

For this DC-2, thrust peaks at ~1900RPM (coincidentally, the RPM for crusing) :Thinking:

The biggest problem I work through while testing, is a that a model that cruises accurately, will jump off the runway ridiculously quickly (or vice-versa, or any permation you can imagine) ... So.. for this DC-2, I'd guess that accurate takeoff/climb performance AT proper settings, they had to "slow it down" at takeoff RPM.. see where that leads ?

I always worked out a complex oleo of; parasitic-drag, induced-drag, wing-efficiency.. trying to keep thrust scalars as a constant... It takes a while, but I get close.

OR ... big propped radials are suppose to behave like that.. but I doubt it..

Anyone else had rudder trim problems on approach. I just took a long flight from Hawaii to Maui, and was able to trim the Maule in cruise for a straight and level flight path. Once I slowed down, for approach, say around 75 knots, it started veering to the right again. This seemed to get worse the more I slowed down. I had the rudder trim over 14% left and still had to hold some left aileron . I know the controller is working cause I can see the rudder trim indicator in the cockpit move. Wonder if this is a bug in the flight model.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

It sure would explain "things" except the... did not someone say a 10-20kt boost in performance?

I can vouch for this. A fairly small reduction in RPM results in a small and brief boost in speed. Pulling back a lot on the RPM can easily provide a 20 knot boost.

Great Ozzie,

Try climbing above 15k in the Maule. Once you get there, the only way I have found to keep climbing is to reduce RPM. this issue was probably already present, but I didn't test until now.

Not correct, but I know that the boost effect happens in FSX with all the default aircraft.

Anyone else had rudder trim problems on approach. I just took a long flight from Hawaii to Maui, and was able to trim the Maule in cruise for a straight and level flight path. Once I slowed down, for approach, say around 75 knots, it started veering to the right again. This seemed to get worse the more I slowed down. I had the rudder trim over 14% left and still had to hold some left aileron . I know the controller is working cause I can see the rudder trim indicator in the cockpit move. Wonder if this is a bug in the flight model.

Looks like fuel imbalance... Were you on your left tank(s) only?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... 

Looks like fuel imbalance... Were you on your left tank(s) only?

Actually, I checked fuel balance on this flight and adjusted it because I wanted to see what effect the rudder trim would have. When I landed I had 15.3 gals in the left tanks, and 14.4 in the right. I guess , I will have to make sure my Joystick is not causing the problem, so I will fly another aircraft next time and see if I have a similar problem

spacer.png

Try climbing above 15k in the Maule. Once you get there, the only way I have found to keep climbing is to reduce RPM. this issue was probably already present, but I didn't test until now.

That's how I got to 18,000 feet in the Maule before the update, so the behavior was already there. It may have changed some in the update. What kind of ceiling are you able to get now?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Actually, I checked fuel balance on this flight and adjusted it because I wanted to see what effect the rudder trim would have. When I landed I had 15.3 gals in the left tanks, and 14.4 in the right. I guess , I will have to make sure my Joystick is not causing the problem, so I will fly another aircraft next time and see if I have a similar problem

Took another flight in the Maule tonight. In order to keep the wings level on approach, I had the left rudder trim set at 34%. That doesn't seem right to me.....Then I flew the RV-6 and had zero problems with trim or holding a heading, so the problem is definitely in the flight model for the Maule, not my joysitck.

spacer.png

What was the wind doing?

Doesn't matter what the wind was doing, the plane should not turn to the right when on a particular heading.

spacer.png