Sign in to follow this  

What happened to the Maule?

Are you guys with Maule performance problems reducing RPM's? If I don't pull back the prop speed, climb and top speed take a hit. Seems like the Maule is more sensitive to this than before the upgrade, but.... At about the same time as the upgrade, I started controlling RPM manuall instead of relying on the automated checklist.

sigPicF8.jpg

The Maule certainly feels different, and the RV6 too.

I was able to get higher speed in the Maule while descending at full power, so they certainly tweakked the drags, and the lifting coefficients of the various flap positions were most certainly also tweaked because the way we now should flare during landing feels different.

Also the power must have been adjusted, or the passengers weight modified, because I also feel it more difficult to climb with 4 passengers....

The RV6 now significatively banks left. We use rudder trim to adjust, although I believe the real thing also may be equipped with aileron trim.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Never been so sim-happy... MSFS 2020 &  (FSHUD & FSLTL # BATC)

Yes, seems as if now we have rudder trim, we have to use it all the freakin' time. Think I will have to edit some cfg again, because the trim changes in way too big steps: it's impossible to trim it right. I keep on moving left and right constantly. I think I will start using mouse mode again... Can't say I am happy with the changes... Maybe I will turn on the various 'help modes' to make flying a bit more simple again.

About climbing with 4 passengers: I simply can't. I have to add though that I didn't reduce RPM because I thought I needed all the power to get up...

About climbing with 4 passengers: I simply can't. I have to add though that I didn't reduce RPM because I thought I needed all the power to get up...

On initial climb, on a heavy plane, you shouldn't!!!! Get to your first levelling altitude, retract flaps, and then reduce MP, reduce RPM, increase MP back - not really needed in MS FLIGHT given that there is now consequence in MP from reducing Prop RPM, but that's the way it should be done...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Never been so sim-happy... MSFS 2020 &  (FSHUD & FSLTL # BATC)

Are you guys with Maule performance problems reducing RPM's? If I don't pull back the prop speed, climb and top speed take a hit. Seems like the Maule is more sensitive to this than before the upgrade, but.... At about the same time as the upgrade, I started controlling RPM manuall instead of relying on the automated checklist.

I don't use the checklists, but I usually follow the old rule of "keep RPM/100 equal to or a little less than the manifold pressure". So, if the MP is 24, I run the RPM at 2300-2400.

The RV6 now significatively banks left.

P-factor is more pronounced in all aircraft, I think. If you want to test to see if this is what's causing the turning problem, turn on the "Prop Effects Assist"

Wow.... I just did a test while climbing with the Maule. Going from 100% MP RPM (EDITIED) to 70% made me go from 80 knots to 100 knots almost instantly...!!! Well, that does help. :wink: And btw that was with 4 passengers. I am going to check now how high I can get. :wink:

EDIT

Wow part 2: at 8000 feet, RPM at 100% and trimmed to climb 500 ft a minute, speed dropped to below 60 knots and almost into a stall. Simply bringing back RPM back to 70% brought speed up to (after a while) 100 knots... at 10.000 feet and climbing 500 ft/pm! What a difference.

EDIT 2

This afternoon I couldn't take off with 4 passengers from Bradshaw because it lies high on the mountain. I now tried that same take off with RPM at 70%... and I could take off without problems. Isn't that odd...? Or is this normal? Never knew that! I always thought full RPM is full power...

Wow.... I just did a test while climbing with the Maule. Going from 100% MP to 70% made me go from 80 knots to 100 knots almost instantly...!!! Well, that does help. And btw that was with 4 passengers. I am going to check now how high I can get.

:-( sad to know... It doesn't make sense .....

Main Simulation Rig:

:-( sad to know... It doesn't make sense .....

Maybe you or someone else could test this? Take off with 4 passengers, climb at a constant (as possible) 500 fpm rate at full RPM, then bring RPM back to 70% and trim back to a 500 fpm rate: what's the difference in speed?

BTW I don't quite like it that the planes are changed with every upgrade. And I also think it's odd we aren't told so... The release notes say NOTHING about planes being updated or changed but they clearly are...

then bring RPM back to 70%

Ah!!!!!!!!! Bring RPM back, that does make sense Jeroen, but in your ost you mistakenly wrote "Going from 100% MP to 70%..". Uff... what a relief....

Anyway I will test it as soon as possible....

It also works because of that "bug" with the relation between MP and Prop RPM not being properly modelled in MS FLIGHT. In RL you would, 1st - retact flaps and reduce climb rate 2nd - reduce MP, 3rd reduce RPM, finally, increase MP again ...

Since apparently MS FLIGHT magically adjusts MP for you when you reduce RPM, then it makes sense that way :-)

Anyway, both this effect, the apparently modified flap lifting coefficients and drag coefficients as well as the increase in torque effects at least on the RV-6, should, IMHO, have been documented in the text that announced the patch...

Main Simulation Rig:

Full Power doesn`t mean full speed!!!!

It`s like shifting gears in a car: 1st gear lots of power but not that much speed, 6th gear lots of speed but not that much power.

By reducing prop angle you gain speed and loose power. This is how it works.

You need to find the spot where you have enough power to fly at given speed and vice versa.

For the Maule max power is at 100% but its low speed.

88% is recommended for climb, and 70% for cruise.

Below 70% you could be faster when sinking, but for level flight or climbing there is not enough power.

Ah!!!!!!!!! Bring RPM back, that does make sense Jeroen, but in your ost you mistakenly wrote "Going from 100% MP to 70%..". Uff... what a relief....

MY BAD...!!! Sorry about that...

Full Power doesn`t mean full speed!!!!

It`s like shifting gears in a car: 1st gear lots of power but not that much speed, 6th gear lots of speed but not that much power.

By reducing prop angle you gain speed and loose power. This is how it works.

You need to find the spot where you have enough power to fly at given speed and vice versa.

For the Maule max power is at 100% but its low speed.

88% is recommended for climb, and 70% for cruise.

Below 70% you could be faster when sinking, but for level flight or climbing there is not enough power.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that... (Feeling a bit stupid here... :wink: )

Great, I've just about got used to flying the Maule and they go and fiddle with it!

Was there nothing at all in the release notes regarding these changes?

Miffed. :Waiting:

Great, I've just about got used to flying the Maule and they go and fiddle with it!

Was there nothing at all in the release notes regarding these changes?

Miffed. :Waiting:

Not a word. Grrrr..... :mad:

Hmm - I have only flown one job in the Maule since the update, and can't say that I noticed anything different. I will try and fly a longer one tomorrow and see if I notice anything.

Hmm - I have only flown one job in the Maule since the update, and can't say that I noticed anything different. I will try and fly a longer one tomorrow and see if I notice anything.

Take a heavy load.