Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nopresnik

[Solved] Disappointed with my brand new PC

Hey guys. Im new to the forums.

I got a brand new computer not that long ago and I'm very disappointed with it. It costs around $3500 and I'm getting the opposite of what I was expecting. I'm getting a laggy 10 FPS on any airport without addon scenery. I get around 5 FPS with ORBX YMML v2 addon scenery. I've tried many things to fix lag but nothing has worked. I really need to get those FPS up to a good standard.

Here are my computers specs.

wex5M.jpg

I would appreciate it if someone could help me get to the bottom of this.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This looks like an off the shelf PC... in other words, you didn't build it yourself? $3500 (if that's USD) is way too much to pay these days. That was a bit of rant sorry... but it looks like it's a non "K" version and can't be overlocked nearly as easily as a 2600K version of that CPU.

Highly recommend reading the sticky post at the top of this forum, it will get you started (and make you happier lol)

http://forum.avsim.n...-guide-for-fsx/

This looks like an off the shelf PC... in other words, you didn't build it yourself? $3500 (if that's USD) is way too much to pay these days. That was a bit of rant sorry... but it looks like it's a non "K" version and can't be overlocked nearly as easily as a 2600K version of that CPU.

Highly recommend reading the sticky post at the top of this forum, it will get you started (and make you happier lol)

http://forum.avsim.n...-guide-for-fsx/

Thanks for your information.

Looks like ill have to get used to 10 FPS :Straight Face:

I don't understand why that PC cost so much? What else did you get with it?

Two things we need to know here, what is the graphics card (GPU) in your computer, and what speed is the RAM (memory). To find that out, you can download this for free, and install and run it, and it will tell you what those are: http://www.cpuid.com...ares/cpu-z.html

Fast RAM is better than more RAM, and although FSX is more processor (CPU) dependant than it is graphics (GPU) dependant, a fairly decent graphics card with a decent amount of (fast) memory will help matters.

One thing you certainly can do however, is go into the display option in FSX, put all the sliders on low settings, and then increment them to higher settings in stages, and test where it starts to slow down on the various settings. Few computers can blast along at very high FPS with every slider on the right, that's just the way it is, because FSX was designed to run on a single core computer with the hope that faster single core computers would emerge over the years, and of course they did not, instead we got multi core ones, so the technology diverged from the intent of FSX's architectural target, and thus it remains bound to an older technological methodology.

Don't worry too much though, with some tweaks you can find on Avsim and a bit of experimentation, you will be able to get it running okay.

Al

First off, I'm sick of people always saying that you MUST overclock your PC to get good performance in FSX. That's rubbish, as my friends across the pond would say. Back in the early days of FSX we would have killed for the performance a STOCK 2500k is capable of. If you want the BEST performance possible, then yes, but believe it or not, not every PC flight simmer wants to faf about with overclocking.

Anyway, your pic doesn't give enough detail, mainly we would need to know what kind of graphics card it has. If it was $3500 then I assume it has something really nice like SLI GTX 580s. It should be getting better performance for sure.

First off, I'm sick of people always saying that you MUST overclock your PC to get good performance in FSX.

Yeah, My PC is similar and I don't overclock ANYTHING and have solid frame rates with a GTX 560 Ti. I mean, is it worth it?

First off, I'm sick of people always saying that you MUST overclock your PC to get good performance in FSX. That's rubbish, as my friends across the pond would say. Back in the early days of FSX we would have killed for the performance a STOCK 2500k is capable of. If you want the BEST performance possible, then yes, but believe it or not, not every PC flight simmer wants to faf about with overclocking.

I never said you must... but I guarantee that the difference between a stock 2600K and one overclocked is noticeable, especially with third party addons, with high levels of AA and AF. The results are in the FSMark thread :) I know the difference between my own 2500K at stock and 4.4 is a huge difference (usually about 10 fps and going from 20 to 30 means a lot to me)

I freely admit if a user uses stock scenery and airplanes they'll never notice anything beyond stock CPU freqs/volts etc

Anyway, your pic doesn't give enough detail, mainly we would need to know what kind of graphics card it has. If it was $3500 then I assume it has something really nice like SLI GTX 580s. It should be getting better performance for sure.

If you want all the eyes candy on you will have to overclock, eyes candy at low settings will demand less from your PC.

It all depend on how much you are welling to push the sliders to the right.

If you want all the eyes candy on you will have to overclock, eyes candy at low settings will demand less from your PC.

It all depend on how much you are welling to push the sliders to the right.

Im not sure how to do an overclock on a non "K" proccessor

It's possible with a home built but not sure with yours - where did you buy your PC from? Some BIOSes are not OC friendly and/or locked with store bought/etailer

I've got no idea, it was a more so a gift. A friend of my parents who owns a private IT business bought it. Don't know where he got it from. I saw some YouTube videos of the same processor with nice smooth FPS.

EDIT: I have ORBX FTX Australia installed. I removed that and it made an awesome improvement!

Its a lot better now and I've gt a good 20 FPS.

I dont really need ORBX FTX Australia anyway, I'm happy with default terrain.

I'll modify some cfg settings to get some more improvements.

I think this thread is solved now!

Thanks for all your help guys!

First off, I'm sick of people always saying that you MUST overclock your PC to get good performance in FSX. That's rubbish...

Sure you can get good performance out of a stock cpu but I'll tell you that the difference between stock and overclock is night and day.

Sure you can get good performance out of a stock cpu but I'll tell you that the difference between stock and overclock is night and day.

I have a K model...not sure if it can be overclocked or what benefit it would be. Can someone enlighten me?

I have a K model...not sure if it can be overclocked or what benefit it would be. Can someone enlighten me?

The K means unlocked multiplier... very simple to overclock. It can sometimes be as easy as "1...2...3.." jk haha, but it is easy. Most times you can going into BIOS and raise the vcore just a touch, and bump the multi to 45x with no issues... the you have 4.5GHz. Mine is stubborn and requires 1.35v of vcore.

The K means unlocked multiplier... very simple to overclock. It can sometimes be as easy as "1...2...3.." jk haha, but it is easy. Most times you can going into BIOS and raise the vcore just a touch, and bump the multi to 45x with no issues... the you have 4.5GHz. Mine is stubborn and requires 1.35v of vcore.

Well, im happy enough at the moment. Dont need an overclock yet. I also dont have good enough cooling.

Hey guys. Im new to the forums.

I got a brand new computer not that long ago and I'm very disappointed with it. It costs around $3500 and I'm getting the opposite of what I was expecting. I'm getting a laggy 10 FPS on any airport without addon scenery. I get around 5 FPS with ORBX YMML v2 addon scenery. I've tried many things to fix lag but nothing has worked. I really need to get those FPS up to a good standard.

Here are my computers specs.

wex5M.jpg

I would appreciate it if someone could help me get to the bottom of this.

You have plenty of horsepower w/ your machine and something clearly is gravely amiss. I just took off from KJAC in the CRM Orbx scenery and their KJAC in the QW757 (not the lightest of performers compared to the Super MD80) in sections of dense clouds out to 100m and dense autogen and extreme scenery complexity, and get frames in the mid to high 20's. I fly the Super MD80 out of FSDT's KSFO and see frames in the mid 20's as well at KSFO w/ GTX running. I fly the PMDG NGX throughout the Hawaiian FSDT scenery and see mid to high 20's on the ground. You've got plenty of power but something is definitely out of whack. Sorry I'm not being more specific but just trying to inspire you to do the troubleshooting required. Don't let the 'you won't be able to over clock it enough get you. My machine is almost 4y/o and yours at stock speed is much more potent. I'm sure you can o'clock it some though 16gb of memory might make that a little more challenging.

I know the difference between my own 2500K at stock and 4.4 is a huge difference (usually about 10 fps and going from 20 to 30 means a lot to me)

You go from what, 3.4Ghz to 4.4Ghz, a 29% increase, and you go from 20 to 30 frames, a 50% increase? I have never witnessed greater than the raw power increase and I can't see how even a better fed GPU will maybe contribute to this, in fact I always figure for every 10% increase in raw CPU clock speed I might see 6-7% increase in FSX frame rate. I'm speaking in general terms here but you get the idea.

You have plenty of horsepower w/ your machine and something clearly is gravely amiss. I just took off from KJAC in the CRM Orbx scenery and their KJAC in the QW757 (not the lightest of performers compared to the Super MD80) in sections of dense clouds out to 100m and dense autogen and extreme scenery complexity, and get frames in the mid to high 20's. I fly the Super MD80 out of FSDT's KSFO and see frames in the mid 20's as well at KSFO w/ GTX running. I fly the PMDG NGX throughout the Hawaiian FSDT scenery and see mid to high 20's on the ground. You've got plenty of power but something is definitely out of whack. Sorry I'm not being more specific but just trying to inspire you to do the troubleshooting required. Don't let the 'you won't be able to over clock it enough get you. My machine is almost 4y/o and yours at stock speed is much more potent. I'm sure you can o'clock it some though 16gb of memory might make that a little more challenging.

Well thats why I got this one. Even with settings at minimal, im getting noticeable lag with default stock airports and planes. I did a full FSX reinstall along with all the addons i have, but didnt do anything. :(

Wow. Setting Target Frame rate to unlimited seemed to increase FPS

In may increase temporary and instant FPS but it will not increase overall performance compared to setting 1/2 Vsync. 30fps

You should go through the tuning guide here...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/370594-read-before-posting-software-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

I do have mine set to unlimited and use an external limiter called Antilag (freeware...you can Google it) where I set my FPS to 30 but you should go through the guide FIRST and then try it afterward with and without it to see which is better. If you haven't tuned your system is probably capable of doing much better. In the end, you may find it's ok.

I maintain setting to unlimited w/in FSX definitely improves total performance in Core 2 machines I can attest as have many others, and this is accomplished thru some internal changes in how FSX processes it all. If you don't believe this, try this test:

Set up a flight scenario where your machine is taxed significantly. Set the internal frame lock at let's say 30. The scenario has to be difficult enough to process so that even though you are locked at 30 your machine can only do about 25 on average. Now change to unlimited. You will see frames come up to 30 or more now. You shouldn't notice much in the way of deterioration in terms of image quality or other parameters, though i'm guessing this is where the perf improvement comes from. Some need an external limiter to handle surges, but I haven't seen these of late so just run straight unlimited now.

$3000? I can build a humble home cockpit with that

Im sure something can be done, your system is powerful enough. I just bought i5 2500K along with the cheapest ASrock motherboard which doesn't support overclocking but still, I chose "K" since I will likely OC in the future once I get a decent motherboard. However, yes people who chant overclocking have high standard concerning FPS. Nothing is wrong with that but some of them tend to "persuade" others to do overclocking.

I know a simmer who has 2700K+very good GPU and he has been simming for more than 10-15 years and he also writes reviews for payware addons (aircraft) but he is not fond of overclocking and happy with 20FPS locked. So we know he is not a noob, bottom line, overclocking is not a must unless you're dying for extra**ant FPS by shortening your processor longevity. It's very ingteresting and to me sometimes frustrating that a 6 year old FSX still requires a fastest overclocked-sandybridge to run it well. No it is not silly but well.. FSX can run with stock clock speed with i5 or i7 (even with i3, you won't get that smooth but it runs!) you don't have to get used to 10FPS. You will get better than that as people here are trying to help.

And your motherboard supports overclocking but whoever recommended you the 2600 (without "K") should be questioned his knowledge about basic hardware.