Sign in to follow this  
Blackrat100

Yoke and pedals - your choice?

I've been running Flight since it was released with my Saitek X52Pro stick and throttle but I'd like to have the choice between stick and yoke depending on which aircraft I'm in at the time.

I've been looking at the Saitek and Ch Products yoke and pedals but they both seem very similar in their build quality and as I can't find a local store that will allow me to try them both it's difficult to decide one way or the other.

Can anyone give a recomendation as to which system is the better of the two or, indeed, any other system that is worthy of consideration.

Thanks for your time.

---------------------------------------------

Chocks away and into the blue...

BR

Blackrat

I have the CH Products Flight Sim Yoke. I like it.

Older versions of the same yoke had a bit of binding on the elevator axis, but newer yokes don't have the problem. This is in case you read some reviews on it and hear about the binding. I had an older one that had the problem and some silicone lubricant took care of it nicely. There doesn't seem to be anywhere inside that the lube could drip and cause problems, but try not to use too much. Note that this is recommended by users, but not by CH Products.

It's possible to get a problem with CH Products controls where one of the axes doesn't work right. It's fine for a while, then seems to wander around. I returned a joystick with that problem on the throttle wheel, new one had no problems. Both of my yokes had the problem on the elevator axis, and when I took the old one apart I found out what it was. They use solderless connections on some of the potentiometers so the users can replace them and these connections aren't as good as they could be. I solve it by dropping the yoke the last 1/2 inch onto the table. You could possibly take the controls apart and use pliers to force a better connection. While it sounds bad, it's not something to worry about, just recognize it if it happens.

The throttle/prop/mixture controls are very good. Lots of buttons and switches, and I've never had trouble with any of them. There is NO centering detent in either ailerons or elevator, which the Saitek does have. It may be a bit hard to get used to initially, but I really prefer it without the detent and there is no problem at all getting the control to center. There's a wheel that looks like elevator trim, but is not; it's just for fine adjustment on centering the elevators.

Some users have complained about a spring noises when the yoke is pulled or pushed to near the limits. I do hear it, but very seldom, and you shouldn't be going to the limits of the elevator anyway.

Check reviews on Amazon for both yokes. Some users will do direct comparisons. Many reviews will be about older yokes, and newer ones don't have the same problems.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I've also got the CH Products Pro Pedals. I love 'em.

If you get pedals, you'll have to find some way of keeping them from slipping on the floor. I use a couple of cigar boxes between the back of the pedal base and the wall. Works great.

The CH pedals have a cup for the heels, so they're intended that you put your foot in them. The two versions of the Saitek pedals allow you to keep your heels on the floor, which some people will find more comfortable and gives better control. Both company's pedals have a center detent. Both are very sturdy built. The CH Pro Pedals can be used for both airplanes and cars, with blocks to keep the pedals from moving forward/back (the rudder axis).

The CH pedals are closer together than the Saitek, but are still farther apart than pedals in a real Cessna 172. I don't find that a problem.

Hook

Larry Hookins

My big gripe with the CH yoke and why I don't use a yoke anymore, was the erratic behavior of the elevator axis on the yoke. It would catch and bind and stick, and I used silicon spray, silicon grease, and took it apart on occasion, but the problem never totally went away, and this was on 2 different yokes. The thing that was supposed to be the trim wheel was a pain too, difficult to turn. Now that I am using a joystick, Extreme 3d Pro, I don't miss the yoke at all. I understand the new CH yokes have been improved as was already mentioned, but I love the way the joystick works anyway. If you can fly an Airbus with one, I guess it's OK for me.

I kept my CH Pro Pedals , when I though everything else out years ago, and am using them again and they work perfectly. They have to be at least 10 years old. I have them on the carpet under my computer desk, and they don't move around that much.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

CH Products. But sure ones as good as the other. 1000's of hours with both. No problems using 100% FSUIPC

Thanks guys

It seems the CH yoke is the favourite - I'll look into it and check Amazon reviews.

This FREE Flight game thingy is getting expensive... ^_^

Blackrat

I'm a bit surprised at the amount of people who favor the CH yoke here. I've been thinking about getting a yoke myself and did some reading about this on the web. It seems the Saitek yoke is newer and more robust. The shaft seems a bit stronger / beter engineerd iirc (EDIT: stainless steel shaft). It's got a few features the CH yoke doesn't offer. And, in my humble opinion, the Saitek looks much better; the CH looks kinda outdated. Saitek also offers some nice addons to go with the yoke.

I suggest you do some google'ing for "ch yoke vs saitek yoke".

Here's a few links to threads where some people say to have both. Those people will all say the Saitek is better:

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62270

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?186193-ch-yoke-VS-saitek-yoke

I think people really need to know about the problems with the older CH yokes. While they've mostly been fixed with newer ones, if you buy one on Ebay you may be in for some frustration.

Bob, that "trim wheel" was never intended to be used as elevator trim. That's info straight from CH's forum.

Hook

The shaft seems a bit stronger / beter engineerd iirc.

It's not. It's metal, but the movement is not better than the ABS plastic that CH uses, and some people say it's somewhat worse. You're not going to break the CH version in any case. Pretty much the same with the aluminum on the Saitek pedals. You're not going to break the CH ones. The decision there is mostly one of style: do you prefer to have your heels on the floor? I do, but it's not worth buying another set of pedals.

Make sure you read the negative reviews of the Saitek. Some people *really* don't like the center detent. If you're someone who needs that detent, then go with the Saitek, as CH doesn't have it.

Also, be very careful when you read reviews. If someone has nothing bad to say about one product, and nothing good to say about another, then you can safely disregard that review.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I think people really need to know about the problems with the older CH yokes. While they've mostly been fixed with newer ones, if you buy one on Ebay you may be in for some frustration.

Bob, that "trim wheel" was never intended to be used as elevator trim. That's info straight from CH's forum.

Hook

I understand that , it is simply a pot in series with the elevator yoke pot so that the center point can be set, for the elevator control Most folks think of it as a trim wheel however.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Also, be very careful when you read reviews. If someone has nothing bad to say about one product, and nothing good to say about another, then you can safely disregard that review.

Hook

Hear hear, Hook. :-) This is the internet. And for each person who has a complaint or compliment there will be another to contradict.

Pretty in depth review of the Saitek

http://www.simflight.com/2011/10/14/saitek-cessna-yoke-reviewed/

That's for the Cessna yoke. It's more expensive than their "regular" yoke.

Here's one for the "regular" yoke from Saitek:

http://www.bruceair....saitek_yoke.htm

I really like the idea of a stainless steel shaft on the Saitek. If I ever consider another yoke, that will be the one I buy.

I bought a used Saitek yoke/throttle quadrant and have been pleased with it. Being my first I can't really compare it, but I like the feel and everything seems to operate smoothly.

The only issue I have is if I leave it plugged in when shutting my system down it is no longer centered on reboot. Unplugging and plugging it back in to the USB port fixes that. I usually don't leave it on the desk after flying anyway, so it's not a major issue for me.

That being said, one of the things I like about it is that it's very quick and easy to mount/dismount from the desk. I didn't realize just how important that was until I owned one.

I really like the idea of a stainless steel shaft on the Saitek. If I ever consider another yoke, that will be the one I buy.

Saitek would be my choice, too. I did look at the Saitek Cessna yoke and I really like it. One can also buy a trim wheel addon which looks great: http://www.saitek.co.../trimwheel.html

I fly the Cessna mostly as I'm still very much a rookie FSX pilot (still struggling with some of the beginner FSX/Accel missions). The only issue I have with the Cessna yoke is it's price is quiet steep compared to the "regular" Saitek yoke (approx. 200 euros vs 100 euros / 240 US$ vs 120 US$).